COFFEE

I heard that a lot of pro body builders either drink coffee or take caffien pills before they go to the gym and that got me thinking. How many of you all drink coffee....and if you do, do you ever drink it before going to the gym or working out?

Yes! I love coffee!!! I drink it in the morning (2 mugs) and gernerally again around 11 or 12 (1-2 mugs) I do not take it before lifting because I work out at 6:30PM and don't want to be up all night.

I would imagine most who are drinking it for weight lost reasons would due it throughout the day.

I'd be pretty cautious on it. THere are certain amounts that can be taken, and then theres some amounts that can be dangerous. Its a powerful stimulant. I have drank coffee before, but topher is right. It stains teeth, the drinking one that is. Id only take it if necessary, meaning to lose fat as that is its purpose. Either than that, I wont take it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't reccomend taking caffeine pills as I took them once over 10yrs ago and broke out in massive hives all over my body, my brain was buzzing, and they had to be bought under the counter, it was an alternative to staying awake for an all nighter at a dance club Beleive me, my first and last 'drug'.As for coffee intself, well, its the only thing I refuse to give up. I only drink organic perculated coffee, it has a very high antioxidant property, is harvested so that no rain forests, or natural habitations, are harmed, and on a free trade agreement

Coffee can be used as a once off, every now and then to give you a little adrenalin push, but I wouldn't reccommend it in the long term. If you're feeling a little sluggish either in the weights room, or before you enter the gym you need to look at your diet, or your motiation techniques. One natural way to boost your energy levels is to close your eyes, extend your hands out in front of you, and visualise two very bright beams of light entering your hands and coursing through your body. I sometimes close my eyes briefly when I'm jogging and feeling drained and it really works!

As for being addicted, I can go cold turkey off the caffeine and have NO ill effects at all, no headaches, legarthy etc, but that has only been since I have been drinking organic coffee (perculated). I never drink instant it smells like poison.......But it does deplete much needed fluids, every cup of coffee should be replaced by another glass of water. Most of the pro body builders take the supps to dehydrate their bodies giving the appearance of leaner cuts, it doesn't really help them to lose body fat as your body has to be properly hydrated to keep all of the bodies energy systems functioning properly. Plus, you've got the consideration of the extra stress on your kidneys (kidney stones etc). The only way to lose body fat effectively is to increase muscle mass, and aerobic conditioning. Your body burns glycogen during exercise (the liver holds around 500grams), and lipids during rest. And thats my two cents worth!