raw diet

roc

Ah, okay. Well, I really need to get into lifting. I am SO unmotivated, though. I am a runner and I study martial arts and cycle -- been working out for many years -- I just can't "get into" lifting I just don't enjoy it. I've done it for a while, but soon burn out; start again, burn, etc.

yea, I've read about that buzz . I'd rather just nibble on the pieces, really. I've grown to like that taste; it's much sweeter and milder than processed unsweetened conventional chocolate, which I found horrible the same way.

Good info, thanks!

I am a runner

I'm a runner too. I don't mind being lean as opposed to bulky muscle.

I'd love to run a marathon some day.

Lately I've taken up swimming, I'm hopeless at it, but each day I get stronger.

I love kayaking, same thing, just a learner.

Good to run into you again in cyberspace Raven .

I still haven't tasted the ubiquitous gogi berry. I heard it tastes like cranberries.

I just started eating goji berries this year. They kind of remind me of a 'not-tart cranberry' or a 'not-so-sweet cherry" or actually a cross between the two.

I've been interested in raw foods for a long time, and have gone back and forth. I once did a 3 day juice fast, followed by two weeks of raw foods (right after getting 3 wisdom teeth pulled--the doc said I was healing faster than he expected). But I didn't stick with it.

I've gotten too much into cooked foods, IMO, and lately have bee adding more raw foods in and reading about raw fooding.

What are some good mail order sources for things like maca (I currently get maca extreme from www.rawfood.com, but their shipping charges are a bit steep!) and goji and sprouting supplies, dehydrators, etc. Good selection and prices.

And any recs on good books? I just finished "Rawsome" by Brigitte Mars. I really liked "Thrive" by Brendan Brazier (convinced me to add chlorella and to keep up with the maca and hemp protein).

I find the raw food online stores to have very steep shipping So I usually save up and place a HUGE order, shipping increases minimally once you get the base price.

rawfood.com does seem to be the only reputable source of Cacao beans under the Natures First Law Label.

I also love the Tocotrenials (raw vitamin E) added to my smoothies and my raw protein bars. Pricey but worth it.

I have my Natural Food Store yet some things for me. They got some Gogi Berries and now they say they are there biggest selling food item, also they get me Maca Gold. So if you live in a Larger City ..see if they can pick up a few items.

I am a runner

I'm a runner too. I don't mind being lean as opposed to bulky muscle.

I'd love to run a marathon some day.

Lately I've taken up swimming, I'm hopeless at it, but each day I get stronger.

I love kayaking, same thing, just a learner.

Good to run into you again in cyberspace Raven .

I'd love to get into swimming too. For sure, I won't be able to run like a madwoman as I do now for very long. Swimming is great for low impact, but full body workout. Now that would probably give me some much needed upper body strength! Need to get a pool now.

Yea, good to see ya too, thanks! It'll be nice to get to know you better

...But I didn't stick with it.

I've gotten too much into cooked foods, IMO, and lately have bee adding more raw foods in and reading about raw fooding.

What are some good mail order sources for things like maca (I currently get maca extreme from www.rawfood.com, but their shipping charges are a bit steep!) and goji and sprouting supplies, dehydrators, etc. Good selection and prices.

And any recs on good books? I just finished "Rawsome" by Brigitte Mars. I really liked "Thrive" by Brendan Brazier (convinced me to add chlorella and to keep up with the maca and hemp protein).

Yea, it can be hard to stick to. I think it's best to just go at your own pace, adding more and more as you can. I think Dr. Fuhrman has a fantastic plan which is very healthy. He advocates adding more raw and his plan actually requires you to eat at least 1 lb. of raw vegetables a day, plus fruit; so that's a good start.

I like NATURAL ZING. They have good service, I get my packages quickly, well packed, and the prices aren't too bad, I think.

Hmmm...books...I have two, and both were a waste of my time, really . I have Juliano's, "RAW," and Alissa Cohen's, "Living on Live Food." I would say, if you really really need guidance and want to make recipes, then Alissa's is good. I just sort of knew all the stuff she has to say in her book and I don't make raw "recipes"; so it was sort of a waste. Matter of fact, would you like the book? I could send it to you; I have no need for it, really. (no charge, of course!) Let me know by email or pm.

Cool to have so many people wanting to add rawfoods! It's nice to have sane people to talk to about it,

RawFigure do you have a Whole Foods market near you? Mine is selling them now. I have seen them in 3 different stores around here, actually. It's everywhere now!

I was 100% raw for a while but I didn't like it. I was hungry all the time, ate too much fat and sugar etc. I guess I didn't know how to do it right and feel satisfied. I also lost too much weight on it.

I try to eat high raw now, but I don't have plans on going back to 100% again. I just feel more balanced with a little bit of cooked grains and beans and some hot things. I especially love hot tea!

I really like the raw chocolate recipes. I don't feel sick after the raw deserts like I do with regular deserts but they taste just as good. My favorite so far is this raw chocolate mousse cake recipe I found online. They have a lot of free raw recipes on this site and even videos online showing how to make them, and a lot of them are with Alissa Cohen. Her stuff is so simple. I find that a lot easier to see someone do it then just to try to figure out what they mean by reading the instructions on a recipe. http://greenchefs.tv

http://gliving.tv/shows/

I was 100% raw for a while but I didn't like it. I was hungry all the time, ate too much fat and sugar etc. I guess I didn't know how to do it right and feel satisfied. I also lost too much weight on it.

I try to eat high raw now, but I don't have plans on going back to 100% again. I just feel more balanced with a little bit of cooked grains and beans and some hot things. I especially love hot tea!

I really like the raw chocolate recipes. I don't feel sick after the raw deserts like I do with regular deserts but they taste just as good. My favorite so far is this raw chocolate mousse cake recipe I found online. They have a lot of free raw recipes on this site and even videos online showing how to make them, and a lot of them are with Alissa Cohen. Her stuff is so simple. I find that a lot easier to see someone do it then just to try to figure out what they mean by reading the instructions on a recipe. http://greenchefs.tv

http://gliving.tv/shows/

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I LOVE that website! The recipies are fabulous...damn, I knew I should buy a food processer. Ok, now I gotta start experimenting on my non-vegan friends.

My view on all of this is that changing your eating lifestyle is a long journey!!

one mistake I see a lot of people making is putting the raw diet and their detox into the same bag

I personal believe that detox and the Raw Vegan lifestyle are two separate things

but a lot of people have a bad detox then quit and blame the Raw Vegan lifestyle

the key is to not quit, get past the detox

then.... and only then will you be able to live and enjoy the TRUE Raw Vegan lifestyle

Seasiren I'm well impressed with your knowledge of raw veganism!!

I was almost at 90% for a few weeks, but it's hard to keep food stocked in my house because I live in an unsupportive household, and I get into fights over things like buying my own food, so I'm about 50 - 60% raw now, though that number's working it's way up probably by about 5% as the weeks go on.

I'm at approximately 60% raw and setting very short term goals. A few weeks ago, I "found" Storm and Jinjee's again, obtained their "Garden Diet" e-books and learned what I did wrong about 25 years ago when first trying a raw diet.

True here too that consuming organic, raw foods runs the food bill up - I like what Tonya Kay says: "this is not a discount body." (love that Vegan Fitness Team!)

I was first introduced to raw foods through the work of Ann Wigmore and Viktoras Kulvinskas. One lovely being, Marcia Acciardo was so inspired to create a book, "Light Eating for Survival." It was given to me as a gift when I was pregnant (that beautiful "baby" is now 23 years - lol). At the time, I was vegetarian, had sprout jars on every windowsill in the apartment, but experienced such incredible cravings and a huge appetite - couldn't even begin to entertain the idea of going raw.

Experience has suggested that my system needs a slow introduction to a new pattern. It's same for weight lifting, etc. I rarely say "never," but once in the groove, it becomes more of a lifestyle.

Today, I find it most desirable to eat raw and always feel more energetic and alert on "salad days." Looking forward to my body assimilating less cooked food. Yet, I've got much to learn. Similar to my first efforts as a vegan years ago, I didn't take the time to learn about nutrition, resulting in a severe anemic condition and digestive problems. Thankfully, raw foods availability (and variety) has greatly changed since I was first introduced to the possibility of eating this way 100%.

It's really terrific to see so many folks here interested in this healthy approach to eating.

Jean

hey, when i come back from tour im gonna try eating about 80% raw. what kinds of raw foods should i be eating daily?

also im on a limited budget, so please suggest the cheapeast healthiest options available. thanks.

Hero...one thing to eat daily is loads of greens. I think the greens are more balancing than loads of fruit (unless you need all the natural sugars for fuel). Greens stick with you longer. Fruit exit the body fast and I found I needed to eat more often to stay even.

I buy Organic which is pricey and eat what is available.

The dark greens are best. I love to make Argula soup. At first it is best to keep it simple then start to make some of the recipes you see.

New Raw foodies tend to over eat nuts,/seeds so limit those two ! I only eat them sprouted and dried so I am not tempted to eat them right from the store !

Lots of greens. They aren't expensive. I would buy organic nuts, if nothing else organic.

Also, any fruit you can get your hands on. Buy green bananas and hard avocados and let them ripen over several days. Oranges are inexpensive (or maybe that's just here in Cali?).