Eating until I'll explode... need advice

VEGETA

Hey peopz,

I am on day 3 on my 100% vegan diet and have a few problems with my nutrition.

I ate the last 3 days each 250 gram (dry weight) (black beans/ pinto beans and today lentils) + 1kg veggie

mix (broccoli/cauliflower and carrots) that's my lunch and dinner, and breakfast is 4 slices whole wheat toast and a few dried figs.

First problem is I get all day long farts, feeling bloated and it's not comfortable when I try to train for example, because this is too much food in my stomach and the worst of all I am not really satisfied at all, had to stuff with whole wheat bread a little bit.

In other words I have to overeat, I think that's not good as well.

But I have to eat this load 'cause of protein needs. This would be about 65 gram of protein per day on about 1800kcal.

I think it's still to low of protein and I can't imagine to eat this big everyday... not to mention my calorie needs.

So what do you would do, supplement with a protein powder to reduce the beans and lentils?

And do you think I get used to this gases in a few days? That it will be fewer if the adaption is over?

Any advice is welcome!

He's not trying to eat all raw, the food he described is cooked.

What makes you think you need more protein ? Eating too much food will cause gas, no matter what food it is. People who eat lots of eggs, meat and whey protein, it stinks sulfur. But yes you can add some protein shakes to add proteins without too much food, why not ? Try hemp, is said to be easily digested.

A lot of guys on this board build plenty of muscle on 20% or less protein. And you obviously are not trying to bulk up if you are eating 1,800 Cals a day, so you don't need any extra protein. I can easily maintain my muscle mass on 5%-6% protein which is about the minimum you would get eating just fruits and veggies. You are around 14% right now.

And like Fallen Horse said, any change in diet will cause gas. You need to give your body time to change the flora in your gut. What you predominately eat will determine what flora is most present. However, some beans might always produce gas. I have found lentils to be the least gassy of all legumes as well as the most flavorful, and best fat/protein/fiber ratio. It is also one of the best sources of complete amino acids.

Thanks for your answers,

@Northstar before the 100% Vegan Diet I ate about 4 weeks to 50% raw and one time per week tuna or a few eggs but no meat at all and no beans/lentils and everything was fine with gas (said nothing). Seed and Nuts are okay but too fatty in ratio to protein in my opinion

@I'm Your man I think I need more protein because on my training day yesterday I was weaker than my last training session, maybe it's just the adaption I don't know. (Hm, as I ate paleo one time I ate every morning 5 eggs and 250ml cream and dinner 400 gram poultry with veggies and I had no little fart in that time but unfortunately I was heavy constipated and weak).

@Ducati Would you give me some examples?? Most of what I have seen in the before after pics was just losing fat and muscle, one guy even thought he gained muscle but just add fat...

I saw your pics and I don't want to minimize your achievement but you just lost much fat AND muscle for sure, I couldn't read out that you are exercising at all? Are you? What bf % and lean mass do you have? I assume to little for your bodyweight ratio therefore you have a small protein need if not at all you are eating to few protein.

Regarding to my bf % you are close, but that will be a secret until I post before after pics after a month on the vegan diet.

My goal would be Avi on the main page or Derek but I know, far to go And they are eating minimum 100-120g of protein/day.

But I try to add some muscle just the problem because of the beans and lentils I am not able to eat more than the 1800kcal without heavy overeating, I am trying too eat more... It's not worthy to overeat as I try to train and can't move lol...

@vegimator Thanks for the tips.

@Ducati Would you give me some examples?? Most of what I have seen in the before after pics was just losing fat and muscle, one guy even thought he gained muscle but just add fat...

I saw your pics and I don't want to minimize your achievement but you just lost much fat AND muscle for sure, I couldn't read out that you are exercising at all? Are you? What bf % and lean mass do you have? I assume to little for your bodyweight ratio therefore you have a small protein need if not at all you are eating to few protein.

Regarding to my bf % you are close, but that will be a secret until I post before after pics after a month on the vegan diet.

When I was 230 pounds, I was told I had a bf% of around 33%. That is around 155 pounds of lean body mass. When I got down to 165 I was 15% which is 140 pounds of lean body mass. That is a fair trade off in my opinion.

Now I am 168 and around 13% which is about 148 pounds of lean body mass. I put the majority of these 8 pounds of muscle on while eating around 10%-15% protein. I have only recently upped my protein to try and lose more fat. However, I found that I start bonking quicker and my workouts are shorter. Now that I am doing insanity, I am back to mostly carbs for the energy.

After insanity is over and I am down to around 10-11% BF, I will go back to P90X to build muscle. I will probably keep it around 20% protein.

My goal would be Avi on the main page or Derek but I know, far to go And they are eating minimum 100-120g of protein/day.

That's funny you mention Avi because when reading your post in the beginning and you said you thought maybe you'd need more proteins, I wanted to mention about Avi, who has awesome muscles but only eats whole food like rice and beans, no protein supplements.

If you felt weak on your training day yesterday it does not mean you didn't eat enough protein, maybe its not enough calories, maybe its not enough complex carbs or not enough simple carbs, etc, or yes it may be not enough protein. You can add 1-2 protein shakes with fruits in it, who knows maybe its gonna help.

What usually cause the most gas is too much food at same meal, or processed food, especially junk food like chips and cookies make the most stinky farts. Also, some beans or soy, they are food that contain substance that inhibit digestion, so they need to be well prepared in order to avoid gas (wash, soak, rinse, cook well). Another thing that can cause gas are bad food combining, which cause food to sit in the stomach longer and rot.

Okay thanks you both, I will cut down my bean/lentil intake and eat a few nuts and seeds and add 1 or 2 Protein shakes.

I don't eat any junkfood, just that few things I mentioned Maybe your are right more simple carbs would be an option.

I am wondering how Avi (what I read he consumes about 3000kcal/day) is eating all this stuff (masses!) without being bloated hm...

That's really nice Ducati! Why you don't post some update pics?

Okay we will see the next days/weeks.

Edited by VEGETA

And like Fallen Horse said, any change in diet will cause gas. You need to give your body time to change the flora in your gut

I didn't say this, but it is something I might have said, had I have said it.

I'm sorry. It was Northstar who said it:P

I also want to add that muscle doesn't mean much if you can't use it. When I was heavy, I could never do one pull-up. Now I can do maybe 10 or 12. So, even though I have less total muscle mass, the muscle I do have is much more useful.

You want to be like Avi?

"I am not a person inclined to culinary quests, I keep my diet to the most simple ingredients. My staple foods are whole wheat bread, brown rice, oats, and beans. I consume very little soy as I find it very hard to cook and the whole phytosterol controversy makes it suspect for the moment. I do not consume oils per se but I will always include fat containing foods like tahini, olives, avocado, nuts etc. I don't concern myself with calories except making sure I eat enough for the day. Vegetables are a must and always in quantity but I don't really look for the much more expensive organic kind.

So in other words:

Carbs 65%

Protein 20%

Fats 15%

@ Zack That's almost 2lbs not 4.5. I don't know if you read my first post and the others ones? I eat beans/lentils and rice + the veggies.

I am eating only 1800kcal because the beans and lentils stuff me to dead!

Damn,...half an hour ago I shit an anaconda snake... I definitely cut back on beans and lentils and eat today whole spelt pasta!

@ Zack That's almost 2lbs not 4.5.

you said "I ate the last 3 days each 250 gram (dry weight) (black beans/ pinto beans and today lentils) + 1kg veggie

mix (broccoli/cauliflower and carrots) that's my lunch and dinner"

That would mean you eat 1 kilo of that veggie mix two times per day, 1 kilo is 2.2 pounds, twice a day is nearly 4.5 pounds, unless you meant something different, I think the veggies are your issue.

One of the easiest meals i make is to take 1/2 cup dry rice, cook it and add 1 cup corn + 1 can black beans. 800 cal, 40 or so grams of protein. Doesn't fill me up very much. Add some tofu to that and you can easily up protein.

btw, I love your user name, vegeta is the greatest. lol

Ah okay but no, I meant 250g beans + 1kg veggies or 250g lentils + veggies and so on, not 2 times of the veggies damn... that would kill me

Thanks for the meal tip!

Yeah, I thought going vegan my username have to be related to it By the way in poland and other easter countries in europe there is a spice called vegeta

http://goodiesfirst.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/10/vegeta.jpg