Whos' Raw? and who wants to tell me about it?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

amawalke
Rabbit

Whos' Raw? and who wants to tell me about it?

#1 Postby amawalke » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:43 pm

This might be pretty specific but who is:
a) eating a raw (or mostly raw) vegan diet
b) someone who has trained for or is training for a bikini division competition
c) willing to tell me about their experience with those two things? :)

Also, anyone who fits into ANY of those categories, not just those who fit all three, I'd love to hear your input!

I've read some about raw and think it sounds like an amazing lifestyle. But I haven't heard of many raw vegans who also train for competitions. I think it will be a slow transition if I ever go completely raw, but I'd like to move towards that way of eating. Is this lifestyle conducive to the bikini "look" I'm trying to achieve?

thanks! You all rock! Progress pics coming up in 2 weeks! :)

Zack
Mastodon

Re: Whos' Raw? and who wants to tell me about it?

#2 Postby Zack » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:44 am

amawalke wrote:
I've read some about raw and think it sounds like an amazing lifestyle.

It's not.

amawalke wrote: Is this lifestyle conducive to the bikini "look" I'm trying to achieve?

Absolutely not.

You need to be putting on lean mass right now, you are too slim for bikini as is. You will be hard pressed to grow off a raw diet, and there is nothing healthier about it vs a vegan diet. Raw foodists hype up their diet and lifestyle, you'll find that some of them are just outright liars. Don't buy the hype.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

#3 Postby beforewisdom » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:42 am

Amawalke;

Most books on raw food diets are not written by authors with degrees, credentials or a formal education in nutrition. To put it bluntly, many of the beliefs behind raw foodism are "made up" and even contradict basic biochemistry known for centuries that any college student would read in a text book.

Brenda Davis R.D. is a coauthor of The American Dietetic Position Paper On Vegetarianism, architect of the anti-diabetes program for the Marshall Islands and an author of about half a dozen books on veg*n related nutrition. She has the education. She has the credentials. She is fact based.

If you read any book on raw foodism, you should read hers as it will based on facts.

Becoming Raw The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

vege
Gorilla

#4 Postby vege » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:05 am

read 80/10/10 Diet and give it a try. you will know yourself then if its OK for you or not :wink:

katz
Manatee

#5 Postby katz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 am

Zack wrote:
amawalke wrote:
I've read some about raw and think it sounds like an amazing lifestyle.

It's not.

amawalke wrote: Is this lifestyle conducive to the bikini "look" I'm trying to achieve?

Absolutely not.

You need to be putting on lean mass right now, you are too slim for bikini as is. You will be hard pressed to grow off a raw diet, and there is nothing healthier about it vs a vegan diet. Raw foodists hype up their diet and lifestyle, you'll find that some of them are just outright liars. Don't buy the hype.

Interesting points, Zack.

I was wondering from your perspective on this - what is it about cooking foods that makes them more conducive to adding muscle mass than if you were to eat them raw?
Quote from VeganEssentials;

I have made it a habit to get back into the mindset that every workout is war. All-out, 100% do-it-or-die-trying war. If you want to get bigger and/or stronger, lifting won't be fun most days.

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#6 Postby Fallen_Horse » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:27 pm

katz wrote:
I was wondering from your perspective on this - what is it about cooking foods that makes them more conducive to adding muscle mass than if you were to eat them raw?

I think what he is referring to is that many high protein vegan foods are not raw, but are still very useful for adding muscle. Beans, soy products, fake meats, etc....
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

Zack
Mastodon

#7 Postby Zack » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:06 am

It's hard to eat a large enough amount of raw calories. Either most of your calories are coming from fat, or fructose, and both are unhealthy in excess. Not to mention the protein quality is not nearly as good.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#8 Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:12 am

Hmm I tend to disagree with that. Vegetables usually have a great protein breakdown, there just isn't enough protein in em!
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

amawalke
Rabbit

#9 Postby amawalke » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks you guys. I'm gonna play with it and see what happens! Anyone else think playing around with different food combinations and workouts is fun? Is that why most of us are here? :)

Zack
Mastodon

#10 Postby Zack » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:43 pm

amawalke wrote:Thanks you guys. I'm gonna play with it and see what happens! Anyone else think playing around with different food combinations and workouts is fun? Is that why most of us are here? :)

I did it for a while a few years ago. If I were you and wanted to compete within a year, I'd discourage it. I was glad I did it though, good learning experience.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

ChaserHUN
Gorilla

#11 Postby ChaserHUN » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:49 am

I did the 80/10/10 diet for mor than a year. I felt really great on it, putting on weight on this diet is really hard, you have to eat very big amonts of food. The reason I stopped doing it was because it was too expensive. I am still doing a low fat vegan diet, only I eat cooked foods, but I still do it big amount of raw foods. I can't get anything down in the morning just fruits. I get lot of calories from grains ( gluten free only) and beans legumes etc, but mostly grains. If I eat too much fat or gluten I get mucus in my nose I feel sick and tired. But this is my experience. Hope it helped.
"Go vegan and no body gets hurt"
HEALTHY PEOPLE ROCK
"milk is for babies"

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

#12 Postby beforewisdom » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:26 am

The raw foodists I have talked have told me that they spend $100 a week, per person, on food. It is definately not a diet for the masses.

amawalke
Rabbit

#13 Postby amawalke » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:12 am

ouch. Is that because of all the fruits and veggies they eat? and specialty products? Right now I'm spending like 30-50 a week on food, unless I go out to eat. But my diet is pretty simple I guess. And obviously, it's not totally raw. I'm reading "Becoming Raw" and am probably just going to eat a larger percentage of raw food (fruits and veggies, not a bad thing right?) but I don't know if I'll get into sprouting/dehydrating etc. I'm definitely a blending machine, and I got a food processor, so that's been fun! I was looking at some videos of Bikini Comps, and those girls are way tinier than me! They just have better arms and backs! But I wouldn't say I was too "skinny" for bikini comps at all. If anything I need to tone my legs a hella lot and lose some of this badonkadonk in my booty, and build arms and back a little bit. None of them looked overly muscular.

ChaserHUN
Gorilla

#14 Postby ChaserHUN » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 am

Don't get a dehydrator, it's a waste of time and money. Eating bigger amount fruits and veggies is, good. I mostly stopped 811 because I didn't had enough money for this diet. I still eat green smoothies etc. I try to eat a lot of greens a day. Theres nothing bette for breakfast than a green smoothie :)
"Go vegan and no body gets hurt"

HEALTHY PEOPLE ROCK

"milk is for babies"

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

#15 Postby beforewisdom » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:52 am

amawalke wrote:ouch. Is that because of all the fruits and veggies they eat? and specialty products?

I don't know, but I think that is a good guess. Produce, even commercial ( and most raw foodists are adamant about being organic ) tends to be an expensive. My area has many natural foods stores and co-ops. The price of the prepacked raw products and raw restaurants tends to be astronomical.

I'm reading "Becoming Raw" and am probably just going to eat a larger percentage of raw food (fruits and veggies, not a bad thing right?) but I don't know if I'll get into sprouting/dehydrating etc.

Good move. That is the only book of raw foodism that I know about where you are going to get facts.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”