Joint Popping

penpen

Hi! (I figured I should introduce myself first ) I joined this forum because I could really use some advice and support from vegans... as I don't know any in real life.

I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for over six years. I always had the intent of going vegan when I moved out of my parents' house. (I'm 18, so I just recently moved out) After a lot of research, I successfully managed to go vegan for about two months, but I started having some problems.

My joints were popping nonstop and I had unsatiable hunger. I tried to find a nutritional solution but no matter what i ate or didn't it it wouldn't stop.

The joint popping has been going on for about a month in a half. I scheduled a doctor's appointment (which will be in a few days) to make sure it's not an injury but the wait was over a month long.

I get plenty of omega 3 from flax, vegan margarine, and nuts. I get glucose from fruit and natural sweeteners, and glutamine from raw spinach, cabbage, beets, and nutritional yeast... I can't figure out what could be causing my joint problems. My shoulder REALLY hurts now from all the popping and I hav barely been able to exercise.

I want to actually fix my diet rather than taking supplements.

What I eat in a typical day:

Breakfast: Fruit and oatmeal (or cereal) with nuts and flax seeds

Lunch: Salad (usually with spinach, other veggies, sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, and some type of dressing)

Dinner: Beans, rice, and veggies

Various snacks I eat inbetween meals:

"green smoothie", bread with hummus or almond butter, protein bar, almond/hemp/rice milk, sweet potato chips, pumpkin seeds

I cut down the soy intake a lot because I had some mineral deficiencies.. maybe I'm just not getting a good balance of amino acids?

Oh and I'm not a body builder, I just do the body weight exercises on bodyrock.tv plus some cardio and occassional weight training.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you, I have quite a bit of joint popping too, not painful though. And props to you for eating so well.

Did you start exercising around the time you switched to a vegan diet, or up the intensity / variety, or start working out differently? I ask because it might be because of that. My joint popping started when I switched from weight training to bodyweight training, a lot of new things got worked in new ways. Just an idea.

Joint popping is also inheritable "trait", so there might not even be a solution for you. I get the same from training my Posterior Deltoids in a machine, I just can't train them in such an isolated form at all. It's just something I (at least) just have to live through.

Hope the doc has some better news for you though.

I REALLY think you eat very little. No wonder you are always hungry as you say. You have to have proper breakfast and lunch too, not just dinner:))) Salad isn't a meal, it's just "forplay";)

As for your joint problems: I wouldn't eat raw spinach on daily basis, it has much oxalic acid, which you can get rid off only by cooking. Short steaming will do, you don't have to overcook it. If you want to eat raw greens, eat lettuce.

CAn you please explain the thing you said about cutting down the soy and mineral deficiencies? What is the connection?

I had joint popping in my shoulders really bad and it stopped me training for a few months because i couldn't even bench anymore.

Take out all exercises that have you putting your hands behind your neck when lifting.I mean behind the neck shoulder press and behind the neck pull downs and chin ups.

Exercises that make you do that and then require you to stress them under weight mess up your joint because it's venerable in that position.Also if your technique is bad during bench press that hurts the shoulder joint too.but i doubt thats the case here.

Is it all your joints?I had bad knees and hips when i played football from all the road running and training.Also when i started martial arts i couldn't kick because my muscles in my hips were weak and it hurt my hip joint.i thought i would never be able to kick at all.I fixed that by keeping trying until my body adapted.And with football, after i left my knees slowly got alot stronger.

Where is the popping?

And vege, does baby spinach leafs have the same acid as normal spinach?I've been eating a blender of baby spinach almost everyday.

And vege, does baby spinach leafs have the same acid as normal spinach?I've been eating a blender of baby spinach almost everyday.

I have no idea I would like to know, too. I tend to avoid spinach because of this. I eat lettuce, steamed collard, broccoli, Brussels sprouts - those are my "greens". Besides wild edibles: nettle is my favorite in soups, tofu-tarts, etc.