Vega & Similar Supplements: More Affordable Alternatives?

cozy

Hi, I'm new here, and would first like to tell you all it's nice to be a part of a health-conscious online community like this. I've been vegan for about 3 years and have found it to be an excellent way to build a sense of discipline within myself. I'm hoping to engage in a regimen of training to get myself into better shape very soon and I'm considering my nutrition options.

I was just checking out the Vega supplement, as I've read that it's fantastic, but I noticed that it costs $75 for half a months worth online, which means I have to pay $150 a month for it.

At that price, is it meant to be a meal replacement? Can I subsist on Vega alone, or do I need to still eat whole foods? Common sense would tell me I must still eat, but $150 is a very large portion of my food budget.

Maybe this is something that's come up before, and if there's a locked thread, please refer me to it, but otherwise, I'm wondering: What is a low cost alternative? I have tried "Greens Today Green Frog" multivitamin, which I like. Would combining that with a generic soy protein powder do the "trick" in terms of providing the nutrition I need to get myself into great shape? I'm also interested in how glutamine and creatine might help. Thanks for reading!

NOW Tru-Food Vegan is an alternative, but I don't know if it is cheaper or not. Before you buy the Vega make sure to try a sample pack first, because some people don't like the taste, at least mixed with just plain water. I think a lot of people only do a half serving a day too instead of a whole one. Vega's Sport Performance Protein is much better tasting when blended into a smoothie.

You definitely have to eat real food when taking the Vega too unless you are doing way more than one serving a day to meet you calorie needs.

If anyone pm's me I can certainly help on the price of Vega for the best community ever! I miss VBBF and it's cool to be back. The high quality blend is worth it to use 1/2 serving each time. More importantly though are other suggestions and here is what i've found to be useful.

Sunwarrior

NitroFusion (don't carry yet but will in 2-3 weeks)

Protein Powders in bulk (brown rice, pea and hemp)

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

NOW has so really inexpensive rice and soy protein powders. There is also spirutein which doesn't have that much protein but it's a meal-replacement that has fruit and vegetable extracts as well as vitamins and minerals. ON nutrition sells non-GMO soy protein for really inexpensive, I get it on prosource.net and luckyvitamin.com sells the NOW proteins for really cheap.

ON nutrition sells non-GMO soy protein for really inexpensive

Watch out on that one. Optimum Nutrition changed their flavorings in their vanilla and chocolate protein powders some years ago to contain dairy-based flavors, even though the labeling doesn't say it specifically. That, and they're prone to using Splenda for their main sweetener on their "natural" line, which has been heavily animal tested as well. They still have some things that are decent and vegan like their CGT powder (creatine/glutamine/taurine) and a few other things, but they've been a bit sneaky in not really coming out to state clearly that if it is flavored to be chocolate or vanilla, it's got some actual dairy in those "natural flavors" even though you won't see it in the ingredients.

ON nutrition sells non-GMO soy protein for really inexpensive

Watch out on that one. Optimum Nutrition changed their flavorings in their vanilla and chocolate protein powders some years ago to contain dairy-based flavors, even though the labeling doesn't say it specifically. That, and they're prone to using Splenda for their main sweetener on their "natural" line, which has been heavily animal tested as well. They still have some things that are decent and vegan like their CGT powder (creatine/glutamine/taurine) and a few other things, but they've been a bit sneaky in not really coming out to state clearly that if it is flavored to be chocolate or vanilla, it's got some actual dairy in those "natural flavors" even though you won't see it in the ingredients.

You da man VeganEssentials

WoW did not know that, i'll stay away from it then thank you!! At least there is still my NOW protein isolate

Do they sell the NOW Pea Protein at GNCs or can I only get this stuff online? I currently have a Soy Protein that is like... unmixable in anything besides oatmeal. So I need to try something else, plus the soy only had 11g of protein.

I haven't been using soy protein for shakes for half a decade since soy is in so many of the foods I eat and foods that many vegans eat.

Pea, hemp, rice, spirulina, etc. are all good ones. I use a few different brands to mix things up, and many are becoming more and more affordable, online and in stores.

All the best!

I would also pont you to check out http://www.trueprotein.com/

They offer the best bang for your buck bulk wise. You can customize ingredients and packaging even create your own blend such as pea and hemp protein. The only thing i dont like about them is that among their sweetening options they offer aspartame. Kinda makes me wonder how a supposed health conscious company can do business with aspartame makers Ajinimoto.

• 4 weeks later...
I would also pont you to check out http://www.trueprotein.com/

They offer the best bang for your buck bulk wise. You can customize ingredients and packaging even create your own blend such as pea and hemp protein. The only thing i dont like about them is that among their sweetening options they offer aspartame. Kinda makes me wonder how a supposed health conscious company can do business with aspartame makers Ajinimoto.

I was just checking out that site and it looks good. The prices aren't too bad at all.

I'm confused about some things though:

1. There's a lot of different choices under the flavors (unsweetened, natural, premium). Would the healthiest option to be to choose one of the "unsweetened" flavors, or does it not matter? And if I do choose one that's sweetened, I'm assuming stevia is probably the best choice then since it's natural right?

2. Which flavors of the pea/rice protein are good and are there any that taste bad that I should avoid? I know this mostly comes down to opinion, but is there a certain flavor that you've come across or heard about that is just disgusting and wouldn't see anyone liking it?

3. Which additives are recommended, if any? I was thinking maybe the enzyme/vitamin/mineral mix. Would that be a good choice, or is there a better option?

Sorry if these are basic questions, but I've been a long time user of just regular whey/casein/egg protein and I'm trying to go completely vegan, so I'm not sure exactly what I need.

Looking forward to hearing all of your responses.

• 1 month later...

Hello All, I am new to the forum, so this thread is "popping my cherry"

I am also trying to make major changes in my eating habits! I have known about my lactose and soy 'sensitivity' for about 12 years (dairy) 5 years (soy) now so I have tried a lot of plant based protein powders that are available.

I have found that Life's Basics has the best blend of protein sources which equals a decent amount per serving (about 23g). I also like the fact that the Vanilla flavor is pretty bearable with just water. It doesn't have that gritty taste you get when you mix a shake instead of blending it. But the BEST part, it has a reasonable price. Check it out on Amazon!

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Fitsalma, thanks for the Life's Basics recommendation. I have been using VEGA for about a year. I would like to drink it once a day or more, , but the cost is prohibitive. This powder has pea protein, hemp protein powder, concentrated rice protein and Chia seed powder. I ordered some and am looking forward to trying it.

Anyone else tried Life's Basics? Couldn't find any negative reviews on anything but the taste. It was compared to VEGA a lot, and is about $20 for 20 ounces. http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Basics-Protein-Greens-20-5-Ounces/dp/B001EOKYHK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318773003&sr=8-2

Vega uses a protein ratio of about 40:30:30 of Yellow pea protein, hemp, and rice.

I don't remember exactly.

Trueprotein.com lets you make your own mix for 5 bucks a pound. Gemma protein isolate = yellow pea.

Plus all of their premium flavors are synthetic/vegan.

Chocolate chip cookie dough ;D

mixes with water. (at least this flavor)