Which foods are the hardest for you to digest?

I think every type of nutrition program can have certain foods that are hard to digest. I'm sure it varies greatly from person to person. Probably 2/3s of the US take some sort of digestive aid tablet, pill or liquid.

Of course 2/3 of the US are also on the Standard American Diet, but I'm sure vegans and everyone else has trouble with certain foods.

So, which foods are the hardest for you to digest?

For me, carrots, onions, soymilk are all difficult at times for my stomach to handle. A few other foods randomly are rough on my stomach too, such as peanut butter and bread.

Anyone else?

My digestion has improved since I've given up isolated/concentrated soy protein powder, and limit my consumption of soy (I think I used to eat about 1/2 soy at one point!).

Nuts can sometimes be a problem (usually not raw ones, though, and I've started soaking them, and that helps even more).

Onions can do a job on me as well!

Rob, I read that bread or anything made from a "dough" (cookies, bagels, etc. etc) are incredibly hard to digest, and that there's no food in nature that we eat like them. I personally have only had bread once since I started lifting weights again back in September, although peanut butter sandwiches could probably build my mass up...but there aren't any good breads anyway, anyway, I'm blabbing....

I don't really eat pasta or bread though, and unless I eat a *LOT* of food, I don't really have many digestion problems either though.

Bicycles.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=48511

Strange person. He doesn't exactly look like a picture of health.

But on a more serious note, it's good that you can identify certain foods that give you trouble.

With me I think I would say timing, quantity, and combination, are the most important factors. I try to make sure I don't eat a heavy meal too soon prior to going to bed. Then I try not to go for more than two hours without eating anything throughout the day. I snack on nuts and raisins in between meals and that keeps my metabolism nice and efficient.

As for soy/wheat/beans/raw onions and other problem foods I don't think I'm personally allergic to them, but I don't consume them in high quantities.

What I do eat in "large" quantities are fruits, vegetables, and nuts and raisins! As I've said before, I usually get through 300g of natural "Studentenfutter" (mixed nuts and raisins) a day. That's 1560 calories from nuts and raisins alone! Easily digestible energy with magnesium, phosphorous, B vitamins, vitamin E. I love it!

How about sprouted grain breads??

Technically it's no longer a grain.. But then again it's still highly processed.

I find that I suffer little or no digestive problems as long as I stick to unprocessed foods, or as little processing as possible. I.E. Boiled/baked potatoe. Although it's cooked, it hasn't been overly manipulated such as frozen french fries, etc.

Yeah, seriously, frozen french fries don't even register as food to me.

Did anyone see the "Super Size Me" DVD extras? One of them is an experiment of putting various McD 'foods,' as well as some 'mom-and-pop restaurant' versions of the same foods, under glass and watching them break down. Over the course of several weeks, everything broke down, some of the burgers into a gooey, moldy blob. Everything EXCEPT the McD french fries, which looked pretty much exactly the same as on day 1. If microorganisms in the air can't break them down, how can our bodies?

A lot of the time, it's the opposite for me: some processed foods are easier for me to digest than raw foods. I don't do fast-food or anything really sugary/unhealthy, but when I cook foods or buy certain pre-packaged stuff (certain mock-meats, soycrisps, bean pasta, protein bars, etc...), I can digest these better than raw carrots, broccoli, salads, etc....

I'd rather it be the other way around!

What Gorilla said...

With me I think I would say timing, quantity, and combination, are the most important factors.

If I eat a huge meal sometimes it will take me quite some hours till it's all gone, but I wouldn't say it's really hard to digest exactly. Also, if I eat a lot of peanut butter I know it's gonna take some time to make its way down into my guts.. but I don't have any difficulty getting it down there really if I give it time. However, if in the event I try to eat something before it's done digesting, especially something that wants quick passage like fruit, then I may have some digestive discomfort.

I find it interesting what Shelby wrote..

A lot of the time, it's the opposite for me: some processed foods are easier for me to digest than raw foods. I don't do fast-food or anything really sugary/unhealthy, but when I cook foods or buy certain pre-packaged stuff (certain mock-meats, soycrisps, bean pasta, protein bars, etc...), I can digest these better than raw carrots, broccoli, salads, etc....

I'd rather it be the other way around!

I feel like the perceived trouble digesting those raw veggies and salad items may have something to do with all of the dietary insoluble fiber in them. You don't actually digest that fiber but it does take some time to empty out of your stomach. This could seem like digestive problems but it may just really be some good cleansing fiber action doin it's thing. Just my two cents.

Cool thread by the way Robert, quite interesting.

Several posters, including Robert mentioned soy products as causing digestive discomfort. I suspect it may be due to the presence of certain long chain sugars (i.e. oligosaccharides such as rafinose and stachyose). Consistent consumption usually, but not always, results in increased enzyme production to metabolize them more efficiently.

Oh yes. Very true about the enzyme production.

I thought of something that I have had problems with: whole-grain rice.

I think the reason is that I don't eat it very often. I enjoy rice milk but I would say that I eat rice very rarely.

I searched on the web about it and found pages on the value of rice and how it is the staple of the Buddhist nutritional regime and everything and it mentioned that if you eat it consistently your body will start producing the enzymes required to digest it.

I have had blood tests done before i went vegan and found im intollerant to egg white and dairy, banabas abd cashews (most gutted about the last 2 as i love them!) I still have the odd banana if i have smoothies out.

Other things i struggle with digesting - nut butters (i find almond is best for me) anything with too many onions in and white pastas/breads (mainly have rye and wheat free pastas)

I use the soya isolate protein powder from Holand and Barrett here - am looking out for other ones to try, as im aware i eat a lot of soya and like to alternate foods.

Alison