B-12 deficiency victims

Over the years I have talked with so many people on web boards who think vitamin b-12 deficiencies are a myth. This is despite many vegan health professionals saying that they talk to such people all of the time.

I saw this comment this morning in a thread I am subscribed to on vegan R.D. Jack Norris's site:

From

http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=1391

( currently the last comment )

Sarah Says:

August 25th, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to add my two cents. I followed Doug Graham’s advice (and diet) for years and didn’t supplement with B12. This summer, I started getting strange neurological sensations. This wasn’t the first time in the past few years. Was tested and found deficient in a number of ways, including B12. I started supplementing with high doses, according to my doctor. The bulk of the symptoms went away within 3 weeks, but I still have residual neurological sensations in my feet. It’s been almost two months at 5000 mcg of B12 per day (yes, you read that right…so 5 mg per day) in methylcobalamin form. I imagine these symptoms will slowly heal and fade away as well.

I know it’s controversial…the amount, but apparently large doses have been found successful for a number of neuropathies. Not all, but enough to warrant this decision by my doctor. I don’t think a high dose is necessary for all cases, though. Everyone is different.

Anyway, I wanted to share this website: http://animalliberation.org.au/blog/98-vitamin-b12-fuss.html

It describes why some vegan societies have been able to live without supplementation, and why we can’t do the same.n I disagree with the amounts of B12 that the site suggests, but only because my case is a bit extreme (I’ve been very deficient for a few years).

Thanks Jack, for all of your great work, and for keeping this subject alive in vegan nutrition. I was a vegan harmed by the wacky advice out there and it’s great to know that more level headed vegan advice is available.

My boyfriend and I take these daily as I got tired of taking individual vitamins...

http://www.freedavitamins.com/index.php?p=product&id=44&parent=1

He takes the one without Iron as they have a bit too much for males. They are a good source of B12 (100mcg), iodine, Vit D and zinc. I only take 2 per day (recommended to take 3) as I get a good dose of B12 from fortified milks as well.

Here is a good article by a registered dietitian (vegan) on the recommended supplements for vegans

http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/recommended-supplements-for-vegans.html

Everyone absorbs B12 differently and yes some people are poor absorbers, however extremely high doses would not be required by everyone. If you're concerned... get your bloods checked and check your B12 status. It seems your current multivitamin chewy is below par so maybe worth swapping.

I would like to remind everyone that there is a limit to how much B12 your body can absorb at once, so if you get 100,000% your DV, but it's only once a month, or even once a week, you still might not be getting enough. There is supposedly 5% of people who have trouble absorbing B12, and they need much stronger doses much more often, so if you see any signs of deficiency, get some blood work done and start dosing with B12. This message is for everybody!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I am one of those people who do not absorb B-12 from a supplement. Two years ago I was the foggy brained, fatigued gal who thought she was going through menopause. Nope after a few tests it was my B-12 level. I honestly thought I had done it to myself with my Vegan diet. Per my doc, that was incorrect. By the way I was taking a multi vitamin at the time. My Doctor gave me injections monthly, but that didn't bring my levels up. After some fiddling with timing, I now inject myself 1 cc every two weeks. Apparently most people have an enzyme that absorbs the b-12, I don't have that enzyme. After some talking to family members I was told my maternal grandma was given weekly b12 injections for the last few years of her life. B-12 is important, and some of us have to go the extra mile to stay healthy.

Hi Fallen Horse

I started with Cyanocobalamin and have continued with it. Initially I was injecting only once a month but that didn't get my values up. I deliver it intramuscular, usually in my thigh. I now do it every other week. I can't speak for digestibility. My injection goes directly into my muscle bypassing my digestive system, as I have no enzyme to assist me at that area. I used to get it at my doctors office, but that proved inconvenient. I now do it myself. It is actually very cheap, for a 3 month supply it costs me about 4 bucks.