Is Brown sugar vegan?

title is self explanatory. AN answer asap would be most appreciated.

Nat

Do they have Rogers brand sugar in your city? If so you'll be happy to know that it is 100% vegan. A friend of mine called the company when he was making brownies and they told him that they don't use any animal bones when they process their sugar. I'm not sure about other brands though.

title is self explanatory. AN answer asap would be most appreciated.

Nat

Do they have Rogers brand sugar in your city? If so you'll be happy to know that it is 100% vegan. A friend of mine called the company when he was making brownies and they told him that they don't use any animal bones when they process their sugar. I'm not sure about other brands though.

great! Thanks Taylor! We are both Canadian, so where do you buy this product from?

let me know.

great! Thanks Taylor! We are both Canadian, so where do you buy this product from?

let me know.

Well here in western Canada you can buy the stuff in every grocery store, it's the most common brand of sugar around these parts. I'm not sure if the stuff's sold in Ontario or not...

• 4 weeks later...

Florida Crystals brand Evaporated Cane Juice is non-bone char.

A majority of evaporated cane juice will be this way.

Also, Agave works really damn well for baking and as a substitute for any recipe calling for honey. Agave is great on the glycemic index too.

I agree with an earlier post that Stevia is good, but it tends to be expensive. And I've found that it doesn't bake all that well for my standards.

There are a lot of sugar alcohols that are vegan and great sugar substitutes. They are a class called polyols.

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/redcal.html

http://abouterythritol.homestead.com/

http://www.netrition.com/lowcarbsuccess_erythritol_page.html

Those have have good info on them. There is a laxation limit on per day intake for most of these. Polyols are what diabetics eat instead of sugar. But in other countries, Japan for instance, where they are very conscious of the glycemic index, they use these all the time. The best one is Erythritol. I think it's the best because it has virtually no laxation effect. It is completely absorbed by the small intestine and you pee it out, so it really has no effect on your caloric intake at all. The FDA says it has up to 0.2 calories per gram. It and Xylitol taste the best. They all work well for cooking, especially Erythritol and Maltitol. Maltitol can replace the sugar and some fat in baking recipes, but it has a slight aftertaste.

Turbinado is sometimes vegan. Google it and find the ones that are vegan. Date sugar is amazing for baking. Real Food Daily, a famous vegan restaurant in LA bakes with date and maple sugars. There are companies that make vegan Brown Sugar. Hain may have a non-bone char brown sugar. But you'll have to check their site yourself. There are loads of other vegan sweeteners. But I'm tired of typing now. I hope this helps. PM me if you want any other vegan sweets and baking tips.

i don't have bone char in my sugar.

i guess you mean here in the US?

that is because we use cane so much more.

if you're in europe, then you use sugar beets more and those almost never use bone char.

i guess that's what you meant.