What foods are always in your shopping cart/ fridge/ pantry?

What foods do you eat every day/week, and are always in your shopping cart/fridge/pantry?

Just ‘cause I’m curious to see what you all eat and also for some inspiration on products I might not have thought about, since I’ve only recently became vegan. This is my list (I’ve added some products to categories which I know are not botanically correct, but who cares ):

Shit load of veggies: favorites are broccoli, kale, spinach, endive/escarole, haricot verts, bamboo, bell peppers (all colors), celery, zucchini/courgette, eggplant/aubergine, tomatoes.

Shitload of fruits: favorites are bananas, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, avocado, oranges, pears, apples, grapes, kiwi fruit, lemons.

Mushrooms: champignon/common mushroom, chestnut mushroom, shiitake mushroom, Portobello mushroom.

Nuts: walnuts, almonds, pecans, cashews, macadamia’s, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, pine nuts, peanuts.

Seeds: sunflower, pumpkin, sesame.

Nut butters: mostly peanut- and almond butter, sometimes cashew butter (delicious but very expensive).

Grains: Quinoa, oats, brown rice, muesli (unsweetened barley, oat, wheat, and rye flakes).

Legumes: favorites are chickpeas/garbanzo beans, green beans, black beans, kidney beans, lima beans, soy beans, brown and green lentils, green peas, sugar snaps/snap peas.

Dried fruits: raisins/sultana’s, dates, cranberries, apricots, apples, prunes/plums, figs, peaches, mango’s.

Vegan ‘milks’: Almond, rice, oat, soy and coconut milk.

Tofu, tempeh, seitan.

Flaxseed

Wheat bran

Unsweetened coco powder

Shredded coconut

Sun dried tomatoes

Extra virgin olive oil, walnut oil

Soy sauce

Looking forward to seeing what you all eat every day/week!

To view more of what people on here are eating check out the fitness journal section of the forum. Many people have listed what they ate on a daily basis.

Somethings that I eat often that I didn't see in your list of foods are:

Hemp seeds (I put them on salads. They are super delicious and nutritious.)

Yams/sweet potatoes

Beets (Heirloom tomatoes and beet salad is a newish fav of mine)

Quesadillas made with rice tortillas and vegan cheese (Daiya is made from tapioca, it tastes good when melted, comes in many flavors, and melts well, and its pretty healthy and dairy free. I don't like the taste of it unless it is melted though).

How do you eat lemons? Squirt the juice on or into things or do you actually eat them on their own?

-Dylan

There is a large, festively decorated ceramic platter on the top shelf of my fridge that always has a Matterhorn of apples, oranges, and bananas stacked on top of it for smoothies. When I can start to see the pattern at the bottom of the dish, it's time to get more fruit. There's always raw almonds and organic Thompson raisins in the drawer labeled "Meats" and a clove of garlic or two in the one called "Crisper."

The cupboard has containers for my staples: whole oat groats, flax seed, raw agave syrup, chlorella powder, KyoGreen, coconut oil, stevia, Himalayan Sea Salt, black peppercorns, rolled red pepper flakes, and cinnamon.

Everything else I buy fresh in bulk as I go from recipe to recipe. It keeps my kitchen light, spacious, and clean.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

@ Dylan:

I'd never even thought of hemp seeds before I started reading about vegan diets/foods But they're on my wish list to try out soon.

And unfortunately Daiya cheese (or any other vegan cheese) I've not been able to find yet around where I live

I use the lemons to make my own sauces and dressings, I never eat them on their own.

My mom, of all people, after watching forks over knives has taken some vegan cooking classes. I guess making cheese from nuts like cashews is not that hard, really tasty and melts really well. Maybe look into that as an option since you haven't seen Daiya around your area.

My mom, of all people, after watching forks over knives has taken some vegan cooking classes. I guess making cheese from nuts like cashews is not that hard, really tasty and melts really well. Maybe look into that as an option since you haven't seen Daiya around your area.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into cashew 'cheese'. Just bought a foodprocessor, so can't wait to try it.

Do you maybe have the recipe your mom uses?

vegetables-mostly starchy ones like potatoes,carrots,zuchinni etc..

fruit-love fruit tho i can't eat too much due to fructose malabsorption(yeah it sucks)

grains-oats,buckwheat,millet,corn etc..

legumes-i am allergic to nearly all legumes except regular beans.

nuts-almonds are my favourite.All nuts are fine.

dried fruit- only eat crannberies

seeds-only eat pumpkin seeds

Don't eat seitan due to gluten sensitivity,

Veggies: Carrots and hummus are my favourite. Currently out of carrots though.. I've been known to eat an entire bag of organic baby carrots in one sitting.

Broccoli is another fave of mine, as well as mushrooms and green pepper.

I keep frozen veggies too.

Oatmeal: I eat so much oatmeal and I always eat it with berries. It's my absolute favourite.

Fruit: I always have frozen berries, bananas, and apples around.

Protein bars: I like Cliff and Luna bars. They have a lot of sugar so I only pack them for a snack when I'm out of the house and need a protein boost.

Green smoothies: I usually have one or two of these in my fridge, but I tend to drink it all in one day. I take them to work a lot.

Veg: Beetroot, cabbage, onions, sweet potatoes, asparagus, tomatoes, peas, green beans, spinach, cauliflower.

Fruit: Grapes, bananas, pineapples, oranges, apples, strawberries, peaches, pears.

Nuts: Mixed nuts with raisins and sultanas.

Oats: Ultra-fine rolled oats.

I've been known to eat an entire bag of organic baby carrots in one sitting.

Me too, a few times I've even eaten so much carrots in one sitting that I got muscle soarness in my jaw muscles afterwards 'cause they were so hard/crunchy

Green smoothies: I usually have one or two of these in my fridge, but I tend to drink it all in one day. I take them to work a lot.

Do you but these or make them yourself? If you make them yourself, what do you put in them?

Fridge/Freezer

Veggies:Broccoli, spinach, kale, carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, red onion, zucchini

Fruit:Apples, Pears, Bananas, Blueberries, Frozen fruit for green smoothies

Nut butters: Raw Cashew butter, Organic PB

Almond Milk

Pantry/Cupboards

Flax seed, dried fruits,almonds, cashews, assorted seeds, vegan protein bars, steel cut oats, quinoa, beans/lentil aplenty, cold-pressed organic olive oil, "Vega sport recovery" (for post-workout) and "Vega One" (for rest days.)

• 2 weeks later...

All grains

barley, rice, qunioa, millet,, buckwheat, kumut, oats, spelt

greens and veggies

kales, chard, Broccoli, cauliflower, sweet peppers, bell peppers, endive,

seeds

hemp, flax, pumpkin

Beans and lentils

nuts

peanut, cashews, raw pistachios, jungle peanuts

fruit

apples, pineapples, water melon, blackberries

dry fruit

goji or mulberriies once in awhile

• 1 month later...

dried fruit and dairy are always on my shopping list. they are convenient. dried fruit and dairy are ready-to-use as a snack. and they contain the protein we needs to build our body. as a type of animal protein, dairy is important in our life. dried fruit is my personal preference.