allergic to wheat and soy... I need help!

I have been aware of my wheat allergy for about a year, and have been doing fine maintaining a vegan lifestyle despite the allergy. (I've been vegetarian for six years and vegan for about eight months).

Lately, I have been getting sick every time I eat tempeh or drink soy milk. I am very active, and it's pretty hard to perform up to my potential being sick or hungry all the time. I've still been eating soy foods just to get the protein, but I know I shouldn't be.

I am also on a VERY tight budget lately ($30 a week alotted for food).... I have no idea where to find resources on veganism and food allergies, let alone how to cope with all this on a very tight budget! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Meg

I usually only spend about 20 bucks a week for food. Buy yourself some big bags of beans and rice since those will last many meals. And buy some fruits. I usually have an 8 lb bag of oranges, some bananas. I recently bought a watermelon and 2 pineapple recently. Get canned stuff when its on sale. Frozen veggies are pretty cheap so I buy them, also fresh cucumber, brocoli, cauliflower, 2lb bag of carrots. Have peanutbutter around and tortillas and salsa. Nuts, spices you enjoy and get bragg's liquid aminos if possible, though i've read they are not as healthy as I think, but I like the taste. Ohh and tofu, have that available too. There is pretty much what I eat all the time aside from some pasta (there is a bean kind) and protein shakes. I just replace what I need to. And dont forget oats. They are cheap and come in handy.

Hey, Meg!

Actually, if you avoid processed foods, it's not hard to avoid wheat.

Also, some people who have problems with wheat can still eat sprouted wheat.

As for soy, some people who have problems with soy can deal with tempeh, but that doesn't seem to be your case.

Soy isn't as great as it's been made out to be, IMO, and unless you get non-GMO/organic soy, it's probaby genetically engineered to boot.

To replace soy milk, you can try rice milk, or, even better, and more nutritious, make your own nut/seed milks: soak RAW nuts and/or seeds overnight (to activate their enzymes and start predigesting the proteins and fats), then blend about 1 part seed/nut with 2 parts water. Add more water to get the right consistency, and a sweeter like soaked dates or agave nectar, or the water from soaked raisins or dates, or stevia, etc.). Then strain through cheesecloth or though a nut-milk bag.

Sesame milk would have a good calcium content. Sunflower would have vitamin D ( so mixing the two would give something simliar to the nutrients in enriched soy or rice milk). Try making a small batch each of almond, sesame, sunflower and mix them to see what proportions you like the taste of best.

Hi!

I understand how you feel completely! I have always had gluten/wheat sensitivities, so it was always very minimal in my diet.. a lot of people have these and just aren't area of it, so at least you are aware!

Also, a bit more recently, since I've cut soymilk and soy yogurt(organic

Wildwood kind) out of my diet, I've developed a weird allergy to them.

They make me feel awful now!

Tempeh is still ok though.. but I rarely consume it these days..

Perhaps focus on fresh (bulk if you can) organic tofu, and edamame.

Other sources, could be lentils, garbanzo beans etc..

And no one has mentioned chlorella or hemp protein yet...

they are by far the best choices in my opinion.

Check out:

www.brendanbrazier.com

His book "Thrive" is probably one of the best books you could read for

information on maintaining good health with an active lifestyle.

good luck!