Best Vegan Foods

Hey I'm still trying to learn more about having a vegan lifestyle and one of my main concerns is still being able to eat something that taste's like the foods I love..chocolate, frozen yogurt and cheese in particular.

Does anyone have any favourite vegan chocolate? (I'm a huge fan of the way Nestle and Lindt chocolate tastes) What exactly goes on a vegan pizza? Is there any vegan type cheese out there that melts well and still tastes somewhat like cheese? (I've tried a few brands of soy cheese and they've melted horribly. Any replies are appreciated!

veganessentials sells this chocolate bar made with rice milk, I enjoyed the one I had. Silk's Chocolate soy milk is also great so try that out. As for the cheese, well I have heard tales of one, don't remember the name though. I enjoy yeast flakes with olive oil since it can be made to any consistency.

frozen yogurt i never really ate but theres soy ice cream ... i guess thats close isnt it

i love my pizza, trying to be healthy and all but i cant give up pizza..... i buy some dough (im gonna try making my own soon) and just thin it out on a flat pan, add some tomato sause then add all your veggies......we usually add mushrooms (if we have them), red, yellow and orange peppers, onion and whatever else we got laying around.... but that combo alone to me just awsome...

as for cheese..... i was listening to this radio show and they mention nutritional yeast relaces cheese.... havent tried it though but its on my to-do list http://www.animalvoices.ca/shows/steven_morello

Thanks so much for both of your replies! I checked out the nutritional yeast flake thing and that sounds like it could be a GREAT way for me to go around consuming cheese, I'll have to search around town for a place that sells the flakes

The chocolate thing..oh my GOODNESS..you have no idea how fabulous that was to see! I'm checking out eatraw.com right now to look in to getting some of the chocolate.

Thanks a lot guys!

Chocolate: there are quite a few good vegan chocolates. Look at www.veganessentials.com or www.veganstore.com for some.

Frozen yogurt: I haven't seen a vegan version of frozen yogurt. Could you just freeze soy yogurt to make your own?

Cheeses: most vegan cheeses are pretty wretched, IMO. But there is a book called "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook" that has recipes for all sorts of 'cheeses' that are supposed to taste great.

I used to eat vegan 'cheeses' for a while, but I usually just don't use any cheese.

Pizza doesn't need cheese, and in fact, if you go to Italy (or even France), many pizzas don't have cheese on them. Amy's makes a great roasted veggie pizza that is cheeseless, and Wolfgang Puck also has a cheeseless pizza.

I thought I would miss cheese and yogurt a lot, but that craving fades (its just been about 6 weeks)-

Substitutes (not necessarily as in, put this on your pizza, but as in, try this when you are hungry) - Cashew butter, almond or macadamia nut butter, Silk cultured soy, tofutti better than cream cheese (really is better in my opinion), also try dousing stuff with extra virgin olive oil, great in place of butter (even Prince Charles is a fan, puts it on his morning toast)

-JB

My favorite vegan burger and soy crumbles are from MorningStar Farms.

If you like mayonnaise, you'll love vegenaise.

My favorite vegan margarine is Soy Garden.

My favorite soy milk is Rich Chocolate VitaSoy.

My favorite soy yogurt is from Silk.

Frozen desserts and soy cream cheese from Tofutti are very good and Soy Dream has a great flavor I've just discovered called Mocha Fudge.) (Note to self: Must...not....consume....every....day.....unless....want......to.....become.....sumo....wrestler ).

DEATH BY CHOCOLATE PUDDING: avocado, agave, vanilla, pinch of sea salt, generous scoop of cocoa powder.

BUTTER PECAN ICE CREAM: 2 frozen banana, pinch of sea salt, handful of chopped pecans, agave. whip in food processor.

STRAWBERRY FROZEN YOGURT: frozen strawberries, 1 fresh avocado. whip in food processor.

PINEAPPLE SORBET: (my personal favorite) 1 frozen banana with 2 c frozen pineapple. whip in food processor.

oh i could go on and on

**i have found that the longer i go without dairy, the less i am temped by it. we try not to use the soy versions often as they tend to encourage more cravings.... IMHO.

DEATH BY CHOCOLATE PUDDING: avocado, agave, vanilla, pinch of sea salt, generous scoop of cocoa powder.

BUTTER PECAN ICE CREAM: 2 frozen banana, pinch of sea salt, handful of chopped pecans, agave. whip in food processor.

STRAWBERRY FROZEN YOGURT: frozen strawberries, 1 fresh avocado. whip in food processor.

PINEAPPLE SORBET: (my personal favorite) 1 frozen banana with 2 c frozen pineapple. whip in food processor.

oh i could go on and on

**i have found that the longer i go without dairy, the less i am temped by it. we try not to use the soy versions often as they tend to encourage more cravings.... IMHO.

These all sound very tasty and healthy! I really want to get a food processor someday soon. It's interesting what you say about the soy stuff... I've never experienced that - perhaps it is more of an issue when someone has more recently become vegan?