Diet for Clear Skin

Ravi

On of the things I've struggled with over the past several years is to get really clear and virbrant skin. I by no means have any severe acne problems, but at age 26, still get pimples, my skin doesn't heal that well and it just not as clear as I would like it to be.

Do other folks have any personal expeiences with dietary changes that have cleared up their skin? Any specific supplements or foods that have worked well?

You might want to try drinking a good amount distilled water. It detoxifies and usually results in acne free skin. From my experience water makes a big difference for skin health.

Also you might want to try taking vitamin E for a more lustrious look. Also vitamin D and vitamin A have a large role in skin health. Getting a really good multivitamin might clear everything up because all vitamins work together in some way to ensure maximum absorbtion.

As for vitamins A/D/E: as you know, you can also get these from natural foods and sunlight!

I would definitely recommend getting "A" in the form of carotenes (like beta-carotene) or "provitamin A" from foods. Supplements may contain "a" in the form of retinal palmitate (?), which one can get too much of. The body converts carotenes to vitamin A on an "as needed" basis, so you can't get too many. Carrots and many dark orange fruits and dark leafy greens are a good source of carotenes. If you drink too much carrot juice, and your body doesn't need the carotenes, it will store excesses in the body, including in the epithlial cells of the skin, which can give one a yellowish tinge (though with your dark complexion, it might not show).

And vitamin D can be found in mushrooms and sunflower seeds, but is a hormone produced by our body in response to sunlight (not too much exposure, 10-15 minutes a day on 1/3 of your body, like arms and face, are enough for daily needs).

Healthy fats (raw, not cooked, which denatures them) are good as well. Olives or extra virgin, first cold pressed olive oil is good on salads (full of those dark green veggies!). Coconut oil, both internally and topically, is good. It contains medium-chaiin fatty acids/medium-chain triglycerides that are very similar to the makeup of our own skin oils.

Eating high raw is a good idea as well, and easy to do in the summer months, when there is a lot of variety in fruits and veggies available (organic, of course!).

And definitely water!

Doing a detox (like a week of just fresh juices and raw foods) can help give you a head start.

I agree with the water people here. Drink plenty of it. Also, I have not used a so-called facial cleanser in probably 3 years and my skin rarely has even a small blemish. If I feel oily faced, I rinse with water and dry off with a plushy towel. Sometimes 3 or more times per day.

I would say steer clear of cleansers and see how your face reacts. I would bet 9 times our of 10 the complection improves. My theory is that companies make cleansers that will improve your face for a week and then cause it to break out worse after that.

I've searched on the orum and found a rememdy using apple cider veniegar. I've been taking it for two days and I must say that my skin is almost totally clear! We'll see if this continues.

I love to hear ACV testomonials. It has so many uses!!