Juicing

So Robert and I were at a farmers market and we were checking out the juices available from local sources. We got the whole run-down on how Odwalla screwed up the raw-juice thing by making one REALLY bad batch of apple juice that kiled some people, so now all juice bought in stores MUST be pasturized.

Robert and I decided that making our own orange juice would be cheaper and healthier. Any suggestions on what would be the best juicing mechanism to buy?

Robert and I decided that making our own orange juice would be cheaper and healthier. Any suggestions on what would be the best juicing mechanism to buy?

If you aren't juicing a large quantity, or even if you are juicing a lot, but don't mind manual labor, you can go with a small manual citrus juicer (I have both a glass one and a metal one, the glass one is one piece, but is larger, and accomodates anything from a small lemon to a grapefruit. The metal one is smaller, but is in two parts and strains the seeds out, catching the juice in a bottom container.)

There are also more heavy duty manual juicers (that you might find at a farm supply store, or an Amish store) that are like a press. They get more juice out faster than the 'squeeze and turn" manual juicers.

There are also specific citrus juicer that are electric, which might be good if you want to juice large quantitites faster.

I personally don't see the need for yet another electric appliance, especially since it's so easy to juice using the manual ones.

• 4 weeks later...
So Robert and I were at a farmers market and we were checking out the juices available from local sources. We got the whole run-down on how Odwalla screwed up the raw-juice thing by making one REALLY bad batch of apple juice that kiled some people, so now all juice bought in stores MUST be pasturized.

Oh boy, when it comes to juicing you will find many ideas and options.

If you only want to juice oranges, apples, celery, carrots or cucumbers you can get away with a cheap juicer (40 bucks or so). You can pick one up at Kohl's, Target or Meijer. The Jack Lalanne juicer is considered to be on the low end when it comes to juicers, even though it is 99 bucks. So keep that in mind. It also mentions that you do not have to chop fruits and veggies, that you can juice them whole because it has an extra-large round feeder. Well, thats great, but if you juice kiwi you want to remove the skin because it is toxic. Same rule applies to apple seeds and in high doses, the skin from citrus fruit.

Now, if you intend to juice leafy greens, ginger and wheatgrass things get a little more complicated and a lot more pricey. (

example http://www.omegajuicers.com/ but not limit to)

The cheaper juicers can handle leafy greens for a couple of rounds, but trust me, you will burn the motor on it real quick.

Note: Leafy Green juices cleanse and detox cells and the blood.

Fruit juices are the replenishers

if you juice kiwi you want to remove the skin because it is toxic.

I wasn't aware of that. In fact' date=' I've read reommendations that one can eat the skin (which I 've never tried, because it's fuzzy and weird).

I've always seen fruits refered to as cleansers, and veggies as builders. Fruits help with breaking down, and veggies with building up (though I agree that leafy greens would detox).

It's actually not a good idea, IMO, to drink too many fruit juices, because they are high in natural sugars (and the lack of fiber in the juices makes those sugars even more easily absorbed by the body, which is why a whole orange is prefereable to orange juice. But you can counteract some of that by adding some celery or a bit of leafy greens to the juice. Carrot juice, even though it is from a veggie, is also high in sugars, because carrots have been hybridized to be sweeter and sweeter. It's also a good idea to mix in some greens with carrot juice. You could also cut fruit juice and carrot juice by using 1/2 juice and 1/2 water.

I wasn't aware of that. In fact' date=' I've read reommendations that one can eat the skin (which I 've never tried, because it's fuzzy and weird).

I've always seen fruits refered to as cleansers, and veggies as builders. Fruits help with breaking down, and veggies with building up (though I agree that leafy greens would detox).

It's actually not a good idea, IMO, to drink too many fruit juices, because they are high in natural sugars (and the lack of fiber in the juices makes those sugars even more easily absorbed by the body, which is why a whole orange is prefereable to orange juice. But you can counteract some of that by adding some celery or a bit of leafy greens to the juice. Carrot juice, even though it is from a veggie, is also high in sugars, because carrots have been hybridized to be sweeter and sweeter. It's also a good idea to mix in some greens with carrot juice. You could also cut fruit juice and carrot juice by using 1/2 juice and 1/2 water.

That's why you don't juice and just eat the fruits whole....

The issues start when people don't follow the grand scheme of things....and start flooding their bodies with juices...which amounts to the same as overeating if they were eating solid foods....

Our mouths are the best juicers on the planet....why not use them?

There's nothing wrong with eating plenty or all fruits as long as you follow what nature wrote for us....

Getting active on a raw diet builds you up....not veggies!

Edited by Bigbwii

Chlorophyll

by Inde Guzman, M.S.

The information on this website is not a substitute for

diagnosis and treatment by a qualified, licensed professional.

Chlorophyll (from the Greek chloros - "yellowish green") is the green pigment that a plant uses to capture the sun’s energy for photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is the process by which plants manufacture their own food, converting minerals absorbed from the soil into vitamins, fats, proteins and starches. When you consume plants, you take in these nutrients.

The chlorophyll molecule resembles the hemoglobin in your blood that transports oxygen throughout your body. Hemoglobin consists of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen atoms surrounding a single atom of iron. The outer shells of chlorophyll are similar, except that its center is a single magnesium atom. Chlorophyll, like hemoglobin, is a chelate, having a metal ion (magnesium) bonded to a large organic molecule.

Chlorophyll, a natural "deodorizer," is common in mouth wash, breath fresheners and deodorant. Taken internally, it may cleanse the blood and promote cell health and improved immune function.

You may ask: Don't I get enough chlorophyll when I eat dark green leafy vegetables?... Eating vegetables provides nutrients, but supplementing with juices or concentrated chlorophyll "floods" your cells with beneficial phyto-nutrients. Using a juicer to extract juice from fiber liberates nutrients for greater bio-availability (far better than running veggies through a blender, by the way). But remember, juicing is no substitute for eating vegetables (you need fiber). For optimal benefit, consume both.

In addition to juicing (or when it is impractical), you can use concentrated chlorophyll liquid or powder. Some powders consist of dehydrated vegetable juices; others focus on unicellular organisms like spirulina, chlorella or blue-green algae. Make sure your "green powder" contains real vegetable juice, not just ground dried vegetable powder, and that it was dehydrated at temperatures low enough to protect the nutrients.

If you are looking for high quality chlorophyll-rich green powders that contains concentrated super green nutrients, try Gary Null's Green Stuff and Greens and Grains

http://garynull.com/node/12529

more info

http://www.eatsprouts.com/eat/chlorophyll.html

http://www.all-one.com/en/research/davidsgreen.htm

That's why you don't juice and just eat the fruits whole....

The issues start when people don't follow the grand scheme of things....

Our mouths are the best juicers on the planet....

There's nothing wrong with eating plenty or all fruits as long as you follow what nature wrote for us....

I only juice a bit of an apple in with my greens. With the exception of Sunday morning brunch. Fresh oj is a must!

Whole fruits and veggies are important, but if you are ill or in need of a deep cleanse, juicing veggies and fruit low in sugar is not a bad way to go for a biochemical makeover

I totally agree...most of us have a long way to go and a lot of deep cleansing to do first before we can live a successful raw lifestyle....a lot of people think that they can just go raw and that's that but it's not always the case for everyone.....when people tell me they wanna go Fruitarian I always tell them that they need to concentrate on cleansing for a number of years first.....