sprain

Ice helps put down the swelling (at least if you are icing directly after the injury). The movement usually starts when the swelling goes down after 2-4 days. It can still hurt a bit after that but just bite the pillow and you will be ok

Icing will definatetly speed up recovery so long as there isn't any bone damage too. You can also tape after its healed when you try to come back(real sprains are worse than breaks because bones heal stronger than before and ligaments and tendons only get weaker). I have to tape my wrists on nearly every ride do to all the damage I've done to my wrists since I was 7. I cock my wrist down so the back of my palm is at and obtuse angle with my forarm before I tape...this gives me the best support. Make sure you give it a good chance to heal...I never did and I'll be paying for it basically until I can get new wrists and preferably new hands/finger to go with them...Luke Skywalkers seem to work fine and he got his put on long ago...can't wait till that technology gets to this part of the universe.

I think you've just gotta go by feel. My pain takes too long to go away(weeks of doing nothing...then it comes back pretty quick) so I just deal with it but since its your first sprain and if your lucky it could be your last(every time you sprain it sprains easier the next time) if you heal it nearly completely before coming back it'll be less likely to happen again. There some ways around it like using tricep machines that don't require grip...peck decks...lateral raise machines. When my wrists got unbearable I'd do those until I could use them again.