Going to do P90X but with plant based diet, need help

Good afternoon all,

After watching Jim Morris' videos on Youtube I finally decided to get off my butt and get in the best shape of my life, plant based style. It's wonderful to know that you can get big and super strong without the animal protein and dairy.

Here are my basics: I'm 46, 6'2 and about 240 lbs., I am in good health overall but bad cholesterol is high. Body fat percentage is 30.3% ( Meh, I'm a stick of margarine at the moment ). I want to get down to 195-200 lbs or so with 10-15% bodyfat ( I do want the aesthetic without going too low ).

I am going to start the journey using the P90X program and then transition into more hardcore training after 100 days.

The concerns I have surround nutrition. I have read Robert Cheeke's book which has a couple of routines, one for mass building ( 7700 calories a day ), one for toning and weight loss ( 4500 calories a day ), but I am unsure about a routine that would work when you are trying to do gain muscle mass while losing fat.

Any suggestions would be great, and I am looking forward to the responses.

One other thing, what supplements would you recommend as far as protein, pre workout, etc?

As John McLain would say, 'Welcome to the party pal!'.

Those calorie counts sound NUTS to me for ordinary people, unless you're prepping for a triatheleon or something! And as you're targeting some lifestyle changes to lose and keep off extra weight, I'd be hard pressed to suggest over 3000 -- then again, going plant-based will be a different game altogether. Don't count calories, make calories count. -- gets drummed into our heads from being kids on up....but counting the macros (calories, fat, protein, etc) isn't the way to go. Just like all the B.S. frequently dished out about low/no-carbs, no fruit, low-fat, pick ur fad.....but I digress....

Good for you to take that first step! JUST getting moving is one of the hardest parts. A few things to share that might help.

I started maybe a couple years before you...think a high school classmate who went all in and got P90X certified (and he does it his job now and makes good $). Was probably 42 when I took the plunge. Also 6'2, but needed the 90X to gain size and tone vs losing weight.....that said...

Combining diet with exercise and you can reach your goal.

First time through P90X is an ass-kicker, especially the plyo stuff and I found the pacing of the weight routines to initially too fast for me, need longer pause between reps...but as Tony says, just press play....and hit pause when you need.

The measurements sheet, pictures (for before and after), and the worksheets are great ways to track progress. I added in a spiral notebook to my binder to keep track of what I ate that day, did I have a nutribullet smoothies, how'd I feel energy-wise, etc..

Expect it to be a challenge, especially with things you may have not done since like high school (pullups, etc.) and DO be amazed at how wasted your shoulders and core will be the first times through the Yoga.....it kicks ass too!

Guessing that you're starting both the path to the new, improved you and going plant-based?

Syncing up the 2 will be important to make sure your getting all the right nutrients and have the desired energy to make it happen. There seem to be a fair amount of protein-shake fans here. Me, depends on the rest of your diet in my opinion. I guess one option might be to vegan-ize the recipes in the P90X plan, me, started with some reading and meeting some other plant=based athletes like Brandon Brazier....he has a Thrive series of books with good info on types and quantities of foods. Also, check out Rich Roll...was also over weight, alcoholic, hit rehab just before hitting 50 yrs old....went vegan, ran his first Ultraman in Hawaii (insane!!!) like a year later or so.....Rich has a cool podcast.

Also, met and started digging more in to Mike Dolce's Living Lean and his podcast too (TheDolceDiet). NOT plant-based 'yet' but with lots of constant requests, they're coming out with more and more plant-based meals. Interestingly, on his podcast someone asked about protein shakes after workout.....if my recollection is any good, he suggested plant-based....fruit often, and referenced lots of vegan friendly adds to your smoothie (hemp, nuts, etc.).

When feeling the need, I'd thow in some Pea Protein Powder (non-GMO, complete amino profile, etc.) in with my kale+fruit+______ smoothie in my Nutribullet.

(Bored yet?)

But mostly get my nutrients from my diet. Quinoa, lentils, tons of peppers, spinanch, broccoli, apples, bananas, nuts, and we do eat the meat alternatives now and again...vegan ones (watch that because oddly some Veggie burgers from Morningstar as an example, contain egg/milk...really??!?!).

SO, gotta dash, maybe post up what you might typically have on a day (and WHEN -- this is important. Dolce mantra, eat for what you just did or what you are going to do.) and another one I need to work on, he stresses SLEEP for optimal results...nutrient up and get soild ZZZzzs as that's when your body rebuilds....

I agree with VB. Those calorie recommendations are for long and hard core workouts. When you first start P90X, you may only burn 500 calories per video. As your fitness increases, that will likely increase as you will be able to work out more intensely.

Your Basal Metabolic Rate is around 2200 calories a day. That is probably close to what you should be eating to lose weight while doing P90X. But don't obsess. Just eat as many raw fruits and vegetables as you want, and keep the nuts and beans to a minimum. If you are feeling too weak, then up it a little. But very easy to overeat when you start a new workout program.

I used to think the Plyo was tough too, then I did Insanity. When I went back to P90X, the Plyo seemed so pathetically easy I couldn't believe it. LOL. However, the back workouts are killer for me in P90X. Pull-ups are not my strongest exercise.

Thank you both for the responses, I am an all or nothing type of person, and as long as I have the basics I can knock it out of the park. VeganBadass_CO, you can never bore me, your response was exactly what I was looking for.

I will keep everyone posted as I go along; unlock the body, unlock your life!