Questions about macro nutrients...

Hi Guys,

I have a question about macro nutrients.

1. How do you calculate your daily requirement?

2. How do you track your intake?

I've heard a lot about macro nutrients lately and increase your caloric intake to reduce body fat... I'm wondering if i'm putting my body into starvation mode by doing an intensive 6-day split plus high intensity cardio on a low calorie nutrition plan...

Any advice?

Thanks

David

lots of opinions for SURE! LOL!

Thrive fitness from Brandon Brazier is a good read.

Generally, I go with what my body is doing...if maintaining my weight and having good energy/recovery from my exercise then probably doing okay in sustain mode. If dropping weight when I don't want too...then siimply not getting enough foods/cals so usually tweak my portions and see how it goes. When I want to focus on building size/mass, then portion sizes up 10% again (just using eyeball method to be honest), and add in a bit more to my inbetween snacks (fruits, nuts, simple carbs, etc.) and look to have bit more proteins in my post-workout/evening meal.

Depending on whats for meals that day, I do keep some pea protein powder on hand to whip up in a nutrient dense smoothie, but I don't ascribe to inclusion of shakes/smoothies/powders as part of my regular daily meals..

Hi,

Check out IIFYM. If it fits your macros.

You will find a ton of information about how to count your calorie requirements, deductions etc.

A simple way is to use this site, if it has not already been posted before -

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Throw in your details and you will get a number for cutting/bulking or maintaining.

Now as you probably already know some calculators are not always right. It does not take it the metabolism rate of people

and to some hard exercise would be different to another.

Once you receive these numbers stay on top of them for a week or two and see what happens to your body.

It's always trial and error with dieting. No one is the same.

Basic Macros =

1 gram of fat = 9 calories

1 gram of pro = 4 calories

1 gram of carbs - 4 calories

We'll use my body weight as an example. I am 80kg/176lbs.

My weight to cut according to the calculator is 2108 calories.

A rule of thumb for protein is 1-1.2g of protein per pound of bodyweight. So 176lbsx1.2g = 211.2g

So 211.2g of protein x 4calories = 844.8cals for Protein.

A rule of thumb for fat is a minimum of 0.5g per pound of bodyweight. So 176lbsx0.5g = 88g

So 88g of fat x 9calories = 792 calories.

Ok so now you have 792calories of fat and 844.8calores of protein. Add them together you get 1636,8 calories.

Remember I have 2108 calories to cut with. 2108 (total) - 1636.8 (pro+fat) = 471.2 calories left over.

Those left over calories would be your carbs.

So 471.2 devinde by 4 calories = 117.8g of carbs.

So my end totals add up to - Calories 2108, Protein: 211.2g, Fat:88g, Carbs:117.8g.

That's what I need to cut each week.

Also I recommend as I have been told to have 10-14g of fibre per 1000 calories.

Sorry if it's a bit rushed its very late here and I have work in the morning

I'm sure you will find great info from a lot of people on this forum. I've just stuck to this formula as many people I know have and it;s worked wonders.