Vegan 4 months-bloated stomach?

demonseed

Hey Guys,

I have been vegan for four months now. I have leaned out a bit, holding weight steady. My bowl movements are awesome....one to two times daily! About 15 years ago I was told I had irritable bowl syndrome and took 3 pills daily to help me go to can..now I do not need them! I have noticed that I feel gassy, bloated and my tummy often feels bloated. I drink lots of water which is supposed to help. I read somewhere that often when you go vegan, you do get this feeling, but after four months should it not be gone? Any suggestions.?

Do you eat a lot of beans, tofu, and lentils? If you do these can cause gas and bloating. A couple of tips, eat these foods along side fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchee, nato, etc. They will help you break down the enzymes in the beans and lentils and decrease your gas and bloating. Also eating fruit and beans at the same time can increase gas. So maybe eat them at separate times during the day. Remember tomato is a fruit and been/lentils are often eaten with tomato, so change up some of those recipes if you eat that combo often.

Congrats on the success.

Thanks for the posts.....

typically I eat a large mix of vegetables, I try to get numerous colours throughout the day. I also eat at least 4 servings of fruit a day, apples, bananas mainly this time of year, some strawberries, blue berries,mangos.....

I eat oatmeal, quenua, whole grains,some barley... I eat tofu say every other day, vegan protein powder, hemp seeds, beans, lentils the rest (2-5 times a day)

I like smoothies, usually 2 day, with almond milk, a fruit and two-3 handfulls of veggies, usually greens, and or peppers.

Fats-lots of nuts....

Hope this helps......oddly enough the bloating stopped after 3months (mostly) only to come back... only thing I can think of is I increased my carbs? and stopped drinking the wifes fermented drinks.

Also had full workup at doctors all vitamins etc normal.... (except Billirubin, but he said likely genetic issue not diet)

from my personal experience:

when switching from one type of diet to another, the bacteria in the Gi tract are also affected. It may be that you have bacteria that are in over abundance for one type of food, and will produce alot of gas that is not absorb in the lower intestines/large intestines, and thus gas is profusely/more than usually produced. Your wife's fermented drinks may be introducing external bacteria into the GI tract, which can upset the local bacteria (especially now when they are trying to re-establish in your GI tract based on the amount and types of food you are now eating). Stick to a routine of foods, and hopefully your GI tract can re-establish a foundation of bacteria types.

Bloating can be a different reason. You can still have mild sensitivities to plant based foods. Your body can still use its immune system to surround the biochemical food stuff (such as gluten, or cornstarch, etc.) with water and lymph to try and safely excrete it out of the body (as a rash thru the skin, or thru the GI tract's excrement system). Eliminate the certain food for a week or two, introduce it back into your body, and observe your body's reaction. This way you can find the foods that you might be sensitive too.