Meal regimen suggestions

Hey all, new to this site so I apologize if I am doing anything no in line with forums.

Long story short I am attempting a vegan diet but would like to maintain it high protein to help with workouts. I am having huge problems trying to put together a high protein vegan diet given my lifestyle, and here is why:

1) I am currently a medical student, my hours are 4am-730pm Mon-Saturday. I very almost no time to cook or prepare food, maybe like 20 minutes a few times a day. I usually can only eat breakfast if its something I can scarf in 10 minutes, and lunch may or may not happen. Lunch is more likely to happen if, like breakfast, it can be eaten cold and scarfed. Anything prepared has to be super quick and pretty easy to make.

2) I live off of federal loans, so I can't maintain a diet thats super expensive. I use a protein powder after workouts 3x/week but cant do such daily, and cant consistently purchase high cost vegan protein supplement things or expensive items.

3) I live in a pretty run down neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York where I don't have access to a lot of specialty goods. As such with the exception of things I can purchase online, I only have access to pretty common grocery items (and little fresh produce).

If anyone has any suggestions for a way to maintain a high protein, lowish carb diet, that is in line with the issues above I would really appreciate it! Thanks all, glad to join the community!!

• 2 weeks later...

first....welcome!!!

second...define 'high protein'? Could borrow from 'Shred It!' and ask you in your understanding, what roles protein plays in health and why it's so focused/important?

We are MASSIVELY marketed on protein. Most of us get WAY more than we need, and deprive or bodies of other much needed nutrients that all play a part in fitness, and body building. Get out of balance between carbs, fats, proteins and the micronutrients and things are not optimized at all.

Even with your schedule, you will need to (and can do so on both a low budget and without much cooking -- can even do it as a raw vegan if you prefer!) eat 4-6 times a day for optimal results. Not 4-6 meals, but meal, snack, meal, snack, etc. with content based on what you just did or what you are going to do (workout wise).

If you have access to most fruits (apples, bananas, berries, etc.) and veg (spinach, kale, cucumbers, onions, etc.) and just get some bulk grains (oats, quinoa, etc.) and some pastas with some tomatoes we can make you a meal plan that not only will more than meet your needs, but get you plenty of proteins/carbs/fats/vitamins/minerals and also cook up easy and make tasty, easy leftovers eaten hot or cold!

So start out with what your goals are, and where you currently are...we can go from there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, thanks so much for offering some help!

High protein from what I've seen in some decent studies should be at least .8g protein per pound, so I would say thats about my goal. I am about 150lbs, but I would be ok with about 100g/day. In terms of personal goals, I am not really looking to body-build, more lean muscle growth but definitely increase strength some. Workout wise I usually do 3x/week; 20 mins of interval or continuous cardio (running or rowing or stairs usually) then about 45 minutes of weights, isolating muscle groups by the day.

I have access to most fruits and vegetables, some grains and the things you have mentioned. Any other info you need? Again really appreciate the help .

Hey all, new to this site so I apologize if I am doing anything no in line with forums.

Long story short I am attempting a vegan diet but would like to maintain it high protein to help with workouts. I am having huge problems trying to put together a high protein vegan diet given my lifestyle, and here is why:

1) I am currently a medical student, my hours are 4am-730pm Mon-Saturday. I very almost no time to cook or prepare food, maybe like 20 minutes a few times a day. I usually can only eat breakfast if its something I can scarf in 10 minutes, and lunch may or may not happen. Lunch is more likely to happen if, like breakfast, it can be eaten cold and scarfed. Anything prepared has to be super quick and pretty easy to make.

2) I live off of federal loans, so I can't maintain a diet thats super expensive. I use a protein powder after workouts 3x/week but cant do such daily, and cant consistently purchase high cost vegan protein supplement things or expensive items

3) I live in a pretty run down neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York where I don't have access to a lot of specialty goods. As such with the exception of things I can purchase online, I only have access to pretty common grocery items (and little fresh produce).

If anyone has any suggestions for a way to maintain a high protein, lowish carb diet, that is in line with the issues above I would really appreciate it! Thanks all, glad to join the community!!

When you go low carb / high protein, your liver will simply convert the access protein into glucose and your body will sercte insulin just as much as if your eating carbs. If going low carb, its your fat intake that needs to be high (ketogenic diet), with just enough protein and no more ( that can take a bit of trail and error ).

Best

Rob

For lean muscle growth I would totally agree with rob on ketogenic, I stock up on pistachios, cashews, macadamias and avocados, peanut butter is your best friend!! If you can stomach soy then use it as a primary protein source, .8g sounds fine, I aim for 1g per pound or even 1.5g when I'm particularly sore.

But regardless of all that, calories are the only real variable in weight gain and loss, make sure you keep it healthy

Ps get some protein powder in bulk, look for deals online and get the cheap stuff and look for deals and voucher codes, I would recommend not getting a soya based powder as you don't want to overindulge, I totally over did it for 3 years and now I can't even touch the stuff without getting queezy with gastric distress...

All the best my friend

just my 2c worth

if you cant spend alot on food, using protein shakes seems weird... it's like $20/kilo right? here atleast it's around 25 aud for pea/rice blend

contact your local greengrocer, ask them if they can order in some bulk lentils, or oats.. the oats should be under $1 a kilo, and lentils should be $1-3 a kilo with alot of protein in them

in the past i have bought 25 kilo bags of lentils for 35 dollars, i'd basically boil them with garlic, ginger, salt, and cayenne, and that would be my meals for a while.