macros for losing weight?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Shesfit
Rabbit

Re: macros for losing weight?

#16 Postby Shesfit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:57 am

Great advice, JMF! Thanks. :)

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#17 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:12 am

Its no contradiction, in your ignorance you just fail to see the distinction between the two.

jmf
Rabbit

#18 Postby jmf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:12 am

Oh, I understand what you're trying to say, but you're just stepping on your own toes. You're too caught up in trying to spread your own message that you've lost track of subject matter in this thread. Don't be one of those vegans. What works for you CERTAINLY doesn't work for me, and quite likely not for the OP either.

jmf
Rabbit

#19 Postby jmf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:21 am

Shesfit wrote:Great advice, JMF! Thanks. :)

well, it's pretty general advice...at least she has an alternate opinion to 60/20/20...lol.

kathymtns
Manatee

#20 Postby kathymtns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Thanks so much for your help jmf, I greatly appreciate it. I am going to give it a try. I will go out and buy a scale today as well. That is a lot of protein. I don't want to do a lot of tofu and tempeh, so will beans and lentils help? I also do protein powder as well.
Thanks again. Kathy

kathymtns
Manatee

#21 Postby kathymtns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:30 pm

I am kind of confused on the cardio comment on my calories. Should I do cardio?

kathymtns
Manatee

#22 Postby kathymtns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:49 pm

I took the quiz on on site and it said I was a mesomorph, but looking on bodybuilding.com endomorph sounds more like me. I have a lot of muscle and have good muscle on my legs and natural muscle around my calves as well. My arms are muscluar as well. I just don't have good definition and my weight is really around my stomach area.

jmf
Rabbit

#23 Postby jmf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:08 pm

kathymtns wrote:I took the quiz on on site and it said I was a mesomorph, but looking on bodybuilding.com endomorph sounds more like me. I have a lot of muscle and have good muscle on my legs and natural muscle around my calves as well. My arms are muscluar as well. I just don't have good definition and my weight is really around my stomach area.

You're likely a mix between the two...like most people. My wife and I are different body types...and we have different fitness goals...so our macros are different. We both used this article to initially set our macro ratios (then adjusted based on individual results)...it may be helpful to you as well:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html

jmf
Rabbit

#24 Postby jmf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:21 pm

kathymtns wrote:Thanks so much for your help jmf, I greatly appreciate it. I am going to give it a try. I will go out and buy a scale today as well. That is a lot of protein. I don't want to do a lot of tofu and tempeh, so will beans and lentils help? I also do protein powder as well.
Thanks again. Kathy

No problem...but it's just relatively balanced starting point. Please take my suggestion along with others...and don't stop learning and researching from a variety of sources.

I'm not a protein powder advocate...as I believe setting macros based on controlling carbs and fat, then letting protein "fill in" the rest. As a vegan who does NOT want to look like a berry picker, I've found that protein supplementation is required to make my macro split work.

jmf
Rabbit

#25 Postby jmf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:41 pm

kathymtns wrote:I am kind of confused on the cardio comment on my calories. Should I do cardio?

Assuming you don't need cardio for other health/performance reasons, no...you do not need to do cardio. Cardio for the purpose of fat burning serves the purpose of only creating a calorie deficit, which you're already doing in your diet PRESUMING you calculated your TDEE with no cardio, as I suggested.

Having said that, if you're hitting your calories and macros, you're hitting your deficit and nutrition goals and there is no need to create an additional deficit with cardio.

Ensure to re-set your calorie goals if your TDEE changes. (for instance, I just shifted from four weight training days per week to 6-7, so I bumped up my TDEE by 100kcal/day, which gives me an additional 700kcal/week for training and recovery)

As you may have noticed, it's really a rolling average that you're targeting with calories and macros...but breaking it down into daily goals (and meal goals) makes it easier.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#26 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:05 pm

jmf wrote:Oh, I understand what you're trying to say, but you're just stepping on your own toes. You're too caught up in trying to spread your own message that you've lost track of subject matter in this thread. Don't be one of those vegans. What works for you CERTAINLY doesn't work for me, and quite likely not for the OP either.

Not "trying" to say anything, am stating a fact...

Again, I am fully aware of the topic at hand, and the point I made was valid, ie that the body will not utilised what it does not NEED. It was discovered a long time ago by reputable nutritional scientists that protein requirements are not based on activity, but bodyweight, yes a 200lb bodybuilder requires as much protein as a 200lb secretary, of course, i understand that this concept goes right over the head of most bodybuilders....

Protein consumption has been grossly over emphasised within the culture purely for marketing reasons. In my experience, when people arent making progress for a period of years, Its almost always because they arent properly stimulating growth or overtraining...not because a of lack of brotein. Hell, it was even discovered that muscle can be increased on a near starvation diet as long as a proper stimulu and recovery period is employed. That makes sense, given that its only went the first requisite (the stimulus) has been employed does the second requisite (nutrition) come into play.

HIT pioneer Dr Darden has been advocating a low protein diet for over 4 decades to thousands upon thousands of clients with great success, some of his studies (some of which were fairly long term) are on record as being some of the highest rates of fat loss with lean tissue retention and gain.
Last edited by HIT Rob on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmf
Rabbit

#27 Postby jmf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:51 pm

HIT Rob wrote:Protein consumption has been grossly over emphasised within the culture purely for marketing reasons.

I agree with that. However, I also have to squash the BS "belief" that as vegan, you can get all the protein you need with beans, lentils, etc...accept 80/10/10 to 60/20/20 split and fully achieve complete nutrition for resistance training. As I was saying earlier, that may be true for some people, but it DEFINITELY doesn't work for me...I had four years of complete stagnation, then a complete reversal by consuming what some here would regard as "over consumption" of protein. These low protein and low fat macro splits likely have more risk than benefit, in my experience.

HIT Rob wrote:In my experience, then people arent making progress for a period of years, Its almost always because they arent properly stimulating growth or overtraining (let me guess, theres no such thing as overtraining).

I'm not going to debate overtraining in this thread...maybe in another one! I maintain a systematic, written log that supports that my body can handle more training and calories that I've currently been throwing at it...

kathymtns
Manatee

#28 Postby kathymtns » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks for all the advice and help that all of you have given me.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”