What Supplements do you use?

What supplements do you use?

I get this question a lot in e-mails. I use a variety of supplements throughout the year.

Leading up to my recent contest win I didn't really use any supplments. I didn't even use protein powder. I relied on whole foods, which even included a high intake of fruits.

At times I will use a lot of supplements. I remember back when I lived in Arizona in 2001 I think I was taking 10 different things:

Protein Powder

Meal Replacement

L-Glutamine

Vitamin C

Vitamin E

Multivitamin

Evening Primrose Oil

Flax oil

Vitamin B-12

Protein bars and drinks

Papaya enzymes

And perhaps other stuff too.

When I was back in Oregon I used a bunch of the same but not quite as many.

I left again to work on a bunch of cruise ships and I just used a few supps. then.

Recently I haven't been too interested in supplements and I'm not really sure why, I just ate food instead and did well in my competition.

I'll write more about this later, but feel free to list the supplements that you use or comment or ask about any that I've used in the past.

I use rice protein, usually about 50 grams daily.

Also creatine in cycles of 3-6 weeks followed by a 2-3 weeks off, 5-10 grams daily.

B12 a few times per week.

Just started using vegan glucosamine to see if it helps my joints any.

That's all for supliments, although I frequently use fortified products like clif bars and silk soymilk.

I personally only take a Centrum Multi-Vitamin and Flaxseed Oil. I dont have much money so I settle with what I can get.

Riley G,

L-GLutamine is good for stopping muscle breakdown and encouraging muscle metabolism. After excercising, the stress and trauma can cause glutamine levels in the body to be reduced to as much as 50%. It helps against deterioration. Also up to 400% increase in groth hormones can be reached with just 2 grams of L-Glutamine.

If you overdose, you can get stomach aches. However a good amount for bodybuilders is around 10 grams.

Dont take my word for it, Im not a nutritionist, so you should research it as well.

Also creatine in cycles of 3-6 weeks followed by a 2-3 weeks off, 5-10 grams daily.

That's all for supliments, although I frequently use fortified products like clif bars and silk soymilk.

What's the benifit of the creatine?

Rob- What kind of meal replacments have you used?

I don't remember the brand names of the meal replacements but basically they are in powder form like protein powder but are packed full of all kinds of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. They are meant to nutritionally cover a typical meal. I use them when I am really busy like at work and only have time to add some water to powder, shake it up and drink it to get me through a couple of hours until I can get regular food.

When I'm out and about at a store I'll try to look at some brand names.

Some that ring a bell are Naturade, GeniSoy, Planet Vegan, Nature's Plus, and Whole Foods might even have their own brand.

I'll keep checking.

Rob- What kind of meal replacments have you used?

Creatine has a lot of effects. THe body uses ATP (Adenosine Triphospahte) molecules as energy. THere are three pathways for energy. 2 are anaerobic (without oxygen), and 1 is aerobic (uses oxygen).

The first anaerobic pathway is called the ATP/CP pathway. When you use ATP, it turns into ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate) and theres nothing else you can do with it. When you have Creatine Phosphate, the phosphate from that molecule is given to ADP, which makes ATP all over again and it can be used for energy once more.

There are also effects such as water retention (which is considered an increase in muscle mass since muscle is about 70% water). Hope that helped.

Creatine volumizes muscles cells, making larger muscles basically. It's kind of like an all-day pump. The increased muscle volume gives an increase in leverage making it possible to lift more weight. It also increases muscle endurance and recovery making it possible to lift more weight more often. Lifting heavier weights results in increased muscle size and strength that lasts even after you stop using creatine.

Recent studies have also shown improvements in short-term memory and concentration.

Creatine volumizes muscles cells, making larger muscles basically. It's kind of like an all-day pump. The increased muscle volume gives an increase in leverage making it possible to lift more weight. It also increases muscle endurance and recovery making it possible to lift more weight more often. Lifting heavier weights results in increased muscle size and strength that lasts even after you stop using creatine.

Recent studies have also shown improvements in short-term memory and concentration.

Is most creatine made vegan? I have never checked up on that! I guess I have some reading to do!

Is most creatine made vegan? I have never checked up on that! I guess I have some reading to do!

I don't know of any brand that is not vegan. Watch what you buy though as there are mixes of whey protein and creatine out there. If you buy pure creatine monohydrate though, it is vegan. Of course the companies producing it may do animal testing on other products.

www.veganessentials.com carries a nice vegan product.

that vegan essentials site has dope shoes!

Yeah, the owners Ryan and his wife are pretty cool too. Ryan is a powerlifter and can squat 475 pounds, bench 280 and deadlift 550! He bends nails for a hobby and is going to be in a strong man contest in a few weeks. So much for the skinny weak vegans myth.

I use rice protein as well, and take a multi vitamin and this greens supplement when I remember to take them. I'm bad about those and flossing.

Hey Michael have you tried Naturade soy free veg protein? I picked some up last week at Kroger and its not bad at all. Its got pea and potato protein in it as well as rice. If you can find it you should try it out cause I know you are not into the soy prot powders either.

check it out

http://www.enkueros.net/79911025181.html

Creatine isnt vegan? Are you serious? I know that we can get creatine from food, but I didnt know that the supplement wasnt vegan...thanks for the tip, now I know to stay away from it for the rest of my life.

NO no no, I was asking if it was vegan and was responded to by, " I DONT know of any brand that is not vegan."

I was just wondering and did not have a bottle on hand to check for myself.

Creatine isnt vegan? Are you serious? I know that we can get creatine from food, but I didnt know that the supplement wasnt vegan...thanks for the tip, now I know to stay away from it for the rest of my life.

You got it backwards mate. Creatine sups are vegan, always unless mixed with whey or something, but that will be clearly labeled.

I use rice protein as well, and take a multi vitamin and this greens supplement when I remember to take them. I'm bad about those and flossing.

Hey Michael have you tried Naturade soy free veg protein? I picked some up last week at Kroger and its not bad at all. Its got pea and potato protein in it as well as rice. If you can find it you should try it out cause I know you are not into the soy prot powders either.

check it out

http://www.enkueros.net/79911025181.html

Thanks Ash, I will try the Naturade. The local health food store has been out of nutribiotic rice for weeks now.

It is Ash isn't it? Got your pic, but your name is coming up as "Chesty Leroux". What the devil? Chesty is one of rob's friends.

It is Ash isn't it? Got your pic, but your name is coming up as "Chesty Leroux". What the devil? Chesty is one of rob's friends.

Hey Michael, I'm Ash over at vegan fitness. I registered for Robs site as Chesty Leroux ( a funny name one of my friends gave me) a long time ago, before this forum was up, so when he made the forum I was automatically signed up as chesty leroux. I tried to sign up as ash but my email addy is already registered with chesty so i kept it. Sorry for the confusion

Hey Michael, I'm Ash over at vegan fitness. I registered for Robs site as Chesty Leroux ( a funny name one of my friends gave me) a long time ago, before this forum was up, so when he made the forum I was automatically signed up as chesty leroux. I tried to sign up as ash but my email addy is already registered with chesty so i kept it. Sorry for the confusion

Hah! Too funny. My browser sometimes jumbles up rob's site and I once saw Chesty Leroux next to one of the contest winners picture! Funny, I thought your posts on the old forum were from that guy.

Hehe,

I have 7 different e-mail accounts so if I ever want to change my screen name, I can do that. Sorry you couldn't get on as Ash....we wanted to transfer the 328 previously registered people to the new forum so they would't have to re-register. But it looks like it's mostly new people using the new forum, rather than the old members.........aside from some of you Chesty Leroux, Michael Hobson, V VII Hero, and a few others.

Too bad some of the first 300+ members of Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness don't come by anymore

About the site jumbling. I know it looks best with Internet Explorer.

The site looks a little funny with Firefox or Netscape. It also may get bounced around based on your browser settings. But that stuff I don't know how to control. On some computers, the layout looks really clean, smooth and good. Other ones, looks a little broken.

Thanks to some of you veteran Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness members for hanging around for what.....3 years now! Awesome stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

vegetarian multi w/B12 - I get whatever is on sale at the health food store, which is usually Solgar, VegLife, or Country Life

cal-mag - I think the one I have in my cabinet right now is made by VegLife

creatine - about 1/2 g/day

Omega-Zen3 - has 300mg of Omega-3 DHA from microalgae

About the site jumbling. I know it looks best with Internet Explorer.

I don't know if this happens to anyone else - but when I go to veganbodybuilding.com in IE, it always freezes up. The site comes up perfect for me though in Firefox