unhealthy weight?

hmmm i know i have been away from theese boards for a long time (been on vacation!!!!)

but i have a question concerning my weight. a LOT of people have noticed that i have lost weight in the past year. i am currently 5 foot 7.5 inches and weigh 123 pounds (depending on what scale i use). today the scale said 120 but yesterday it said 123. anyways my mom thinks i need to gain weight. i really dont excersize regularly, though i would if i had the time. wow that is a lame excuse, but i really am a very busy girl. my question: is this an unhealthy weight? i really felt like i was unhealthy a couple years back when i was almost up to 140 (not vegetarian at the time). i feel extremely healthy now, and i eat all the time. people always ask if im eating enough, etc. they always say i look "so skinny!!!". i dont know if this is bad. my mom has confronted me twice, asking me if i was anorexic/bulemic!!!!!! i just dont understand. this couldnt be farther from the truth!!!! i can seriously shove some food in my face!!! i dont get it!

http://www.weightchart.org/

This particular chart seems to show up on a lot of web sites. I believe it originally comes from MetLife life insurance company. They determined the weights based on longevity for each height. Looks like you are rock bottom for ideal weight, but still on the chart.

One major problem in this country is that everyone is used to seeing fat people. They see someone who is average or on the bottom of the chart and they think something is wrong. In fact it's quite the opposite! If you are eating when you are hungry and maintaining your current weight, I would say you are fine!

Hi Lioness.

I think one shouldn't bother too much about weight charts, or weight numbers in general.

As long as you're eating a healthy vegan diet and feel good, there should be nothing wrong about having a few pounds "too much" or "too few"!

I agree with Michael, the standard of western society is too fat. That, and people who are overweight try (maybe unconsciously) to make slim persons seem the unhealthy ones, to feel less guilty or ugly.

I've overheard a chat between two elder women in the bus, they were both obese, as was the husband, and one told the other how sick her husband was. She responded "what, really, he looks so strong and healthy!" To me, the man looked completely UNhealthy, he was overweight and had a very red face and short breath. But to the older generation fat means enough to eat means healthy :/

Okay, that was a bit off topic

Another point is that veganism is still widely unknown and most people don't even understand what it's about. To them, it's only a fashion. Many put it in the same category as anorexia.

I think you're far from being underweight. Stay healthy, stay vegan, stay fit, and you'll prove them who's right and who's wrong

love and peace,

Daywalker

where are we on this chart micheal?

I have a large frame and on the high end of the charts for my height.. but still on the charts (that is if that is naked weight anyway)

You're doing much better than me, maybe I should weigh myself naked.

I'm way off the chart by 30 pounds! I'm just a couple of pounds from obese really.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lioness. Please don't get hung up on "weight." It is not the weight that is unhealthy, it is the nature of the weight. When people tell me they want to lose weight, I tell them about my (imaginary) friend who lost 35 pounds in one day! He had his leg cut off because he needed to lose weight in a hurry .

Seriously though, I think % body fat is a much more important criterion. Men should be less than 15% body fat for good health and women should be less than 23%. You can lose weight by cutting calories, but unless you exercise, the lost weight will be mostly muscle, not fat. This will reduce your metabolism and make it easier to gain weight when you stop dieting. Now, I know your situation is the opposite. Your mom thinks you should gain weight, but if all you do is eat more calories, those calories will be added as fat. There is no way around it, if you want to gain muscle, you have to eat more calories than you burn and you have to exercise.

But first, get your %body fat tested. If you are below 23% (no matter how low) don't worry about it. If you are above, you might consider working out more... or maybe not.