Please tell me what you think of this meal plan.

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Bloom
Rabbit

Please tell me what you think of this meal plan.

#1 Postby Bloom » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:56 pm

In your opinion, to eat the following or similar on a daily basis is enough food or not?

Breakfast: one bowl breakfast cereal and one fruit and 200ml soy milk

Lunch: 2 pieces of toast with a salad filling and 250ml home make carrot and orange juice.

Dinner: 1 cup cooked rice, 1-2 cups chopped steamed veg, palm size 2cm slice of tofu.

*no other food or snacks - but lots of water.

Is this an ok amount for some one who is exercising and would like to lose a few extra holiday pounds?

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#2 Postby Odidnetne » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:26 pm

I'd add more between meal snacks of fruit, but it's a good start.
www.facebook.com/OhDid

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

Neven
Rabbit

#3 Postby Neven » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:23 am

Yep, agree, i would also add some little tinny meals in between the breakfast and lunch, and breakfast and dinner so that your metabolism speed up a little bit.

Kathryn
Elephant

#4 Postby Kathryn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:33 am

Looks a little too low-calorie. If you don't eat enough calories to fuel your daily activities, it can actually have the opposite effect you want, and cause your body to hold on to whatever weight it has, because it can cause a drop in metabolism.

The breakfast could be good, depending on the type of cereal you're talking about. Most boxed cereals are processed foods, made with flour. It would be better to cook a whole grain (quinoa, oats, amaranth, buckwheat, teff, millet) and use this as the base of your cereal.

I agree about adding 1-2 snacks. Raw foods would be good for this.

You might consider adding more veggies, and watching the grain consumption. Veggies are much more nutritious than grains.

Bloom
Rabbit

#5 Postby Bloom » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:05 pm

ahh ok so maybe a fruit in between one meal and i soy yoghurt in between another??

thanks for the tips :)

sydneyvegan
Elephant

#6 Postby sydneyvegan » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:16 pm

I agree with what all the other good people have said...
You can eat quite a bit of fruit and vege without having to worry about the calories.
After reading a post by Daywalker I have been varying the number of calories I eat each day (So that no day is really the same) and I have found this really works.
Have you ever loved someone so much you didn't care what happened to yourself?
You Just had to be with them.
If they look at you, your heart stops.
If you feel their breath on your skin, you just ache.
Have you ever craved someone so much you didn't exist anymore?

princessbee
Rabbit

#7 Postby princessbee » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:18 am

Hey Bloom, soy yoghurt is basically soy milk and sugar. Skip it! Stick to fruit... it is tastier and juicier. Pig out on a big juicy mango or two :D mmmm

I agree with the others re the grains and the extra snacks. Cut back on grains, a lot more fruit and vegies! Have legumes with your night time dins instead of rice. Quinoa is also delicious.

Zack
Mastodon

#8 Postby Zack » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:28 am

princessbee wrote:Hey Bloom, soy yoghurt is basically soy milk and sugar. Skip it! Stick to fruit... it is tastier and juicier. Pig out on a big juicy mango or two

The purpose of yogurt is the friendly bacteria cultures in it, don't overlook that, there is some sugar, but not usually high fructose corn syrup.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

princessbee
Rabbit

#9 Postby princessbee » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:37 am

Zack wrote:
princessbee wrote:Hey Bloom, soy yoghurt is basically soy milk and sugar. Skip it! Stick to fruit... it is tastier and juicier. Pig out on a big juicy mango or two

The purpose of yogurt is the friendly bacteria cultures in it, don't overlook that, there is some sugar, but not usually high fructose corn syrup.

in that case, I'd recommend a pro-biotic. I used to love my soyghurts and soy cheeses... until I read the ingredients.

(look out Blossom, most brands stocked in Australia contain casein)

Zack
Mastodon

#10 Postby Zack » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:45 am

princessbee wrote:
Zack wrote:

in that case, I'd recommend a pro-biotic. I used to love my soyghurts and soy cheeses... until I read the ingredients.

(look out Blossom, most brands stocked in Australia contain casein)

Probiotic is a better idea I agree. Although I don't see anything particularly harmful in the soy yogurt i get sometimes.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

sydneyvegan
Elephant

#11 Postby sydneyvegan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:25 pm

There is also only 1 or 2 brands of Soy yoghurt that are suitable for vegans here in Australia. From memory Kingsland Soy is one of them
Have you ever loved someone so much you didn't care what happened to yourself?

You Just had to be with them.

If they look at you, your heart stops.

If you feel their breath on your skin, you just ache.

Have you ever craved someone so much you didn't exist anymore?

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”