Bananas

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

tommybricks
Manatee

Bananas

#1 Postby tommybricks » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:35 pm

A lot of people tell me that eating 10+ bananas a day is probably dangerous because of too much potassium or something. I ignore them and eat what I want anyway. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Since I am broke, I love bananas, and they are 39 cents a pound, I want to experiment for a few days and figure out how many pounds of bananas I'd have to eat a day to feel nourished. I'll probably eat watermelon too though. Any ideas about an all banana diet?
They have a lot of love for every living creature
The smile of a dolphin is a built in feature
They be movin in schools but everyones the teacher
Someday mister dolphin, I know Im gon to meet you

veganpotter

#2 Postby veganpotter » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:54 pm

Don't worry about that. Bananas won't hurt you at all. You can only take so much potassium in dietarily...the rest will come out with your urine. If it were a problem we'd have a bunch of dead forum members since an overdose of potassium is extremely deadly.

Zack
Mastodon

#3 Postby Zack » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:32 pm

For real, I eat 10-20 a day, I'm alive.
Lifts:
250 Bench
445 Deadlift
335 Squat

health freak
Manatee

#4 Postby health freak » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:13 am

i agree with the above. However, eating ONLY bannanas may not be healthy for more than a week or two, as our body needs other nutrients as well from other fruits. 8)
"REALITY IS THE MOST INSISTENT ILLUSION..."

ALBERT EINSTEIN.

Veganitaliana
Manatee

#5 Postby Veganitaliana » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:58 am

Here's a cheap and healthy way to eat greens too. Wrap your banana in a lettuce leaf-very delicious and inexpensive. Green smoothies with bananas and foraged leaves like dandelion are cheap and very good for you. Enjoy! :D
Let's make the Earth a huge garden instead of a slaughterhouse www.veganquebec.net

Since RAW is good enough for every other animal on the planet, it is good enough for me. I'd much rather be like any one of them than most humans anyway.

tommybricks
Manatee

#6 Postby tommybricks » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:59 pm

word. I make banana-kale smoothies a lot. I buy kale, but also my friend's boss lets her take some home for me every week when it gets delivered to the shop.
They have a lot of love for every living creature

The smile of a dolphin is a built in feature

They be movin in schools but everyones the teacher

Someday mister dolphin, I know Im gon to meet you

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#7 Postby Odidnetne » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:51 pm

I've eaten 15 bananas a day for a while, I'm still kicking.
www.facebook.com/OhDid

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

oregonisaac
Manatee

#8 Postby oregonisaac » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:23 am

Try wrapping it with a little dulse, keep the sodium/potassium ratio right.
"Look at your life, determine what is not in line with your heart, and make an honest effort to change it." - John Robbins

ADD ME AS A MYSPACE FRIEND!
http://www.myspace.com/madeinoregon

Tasha
Stegosaurus

#9 Postby Tasha » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:32 am

Odidnetne wrote:I've eaten 15 bananas a day for a while, I'm still kicking.

It's ture :lol:
Robert wrote:
My knee muscles look totally sweet where I'm holding my weiner.

crashnburn
Gorilla

#10 Postby crashnburn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:27 pm

Typically its not an issue. But, I read somewhere that if your kidneys have an ISSUE they might be unable to FLUSH out excess Potassium which most normal people are able to do.

Sodium on the other hand is more dangerous. But, Potassium is fine because excess gets FLUSHED out without being absorbed unless there's an issue with that.

oregonisaac
Manatee

#11 Postby oregonisaac » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:58 am

crashnburn wrote:Typically its not an issue. But, I read somewhere that if your kidneys have an ISSUE they might be unable to FLUSH out excess Potassium which most normal people are able to do.

Sodium on the other hand is more dangerous. But, Potassium is fine because excess gets FLUSHED out without being absorbed unless there's an issue with that.

I agree, come to think of it I only had a problem when I had nearly zero sodium intake.

http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/questi ... ssium.html
"Look at your life, determine what is not in line with your heart, and make an honest effort to change it." - John Robbins

ADD ME AS A MYSPACE FRIEND!

http://www.myspace.com/madeinoregon

dontxhide
Gorilla

#12 Postby dontxhide » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:44 am

I eat 10 a day also. Although I am trying to find new ways of eating them because sometimes the texture makes me sick after eating so many. I do put a lot in my smoothies.

I always like cheap raw foods. I normally spend anywhere between 150 - 180 dollars a week on raw food just to keep up my calories. So if there are anymore cheap raw foods you guys know about, keep em coming :)
I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. ~Bruce Lee

veganpotter

#13 Postby veganpotter » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:08 am

You should really be sprouting. Its super cheap and filling.

dontxhide
Gorilla

#14 Postby dontxhide » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Sprout what and how. My extent to eating sprouts come from going to Wild Oats and buying brocolli sprouts and sunflower seed sprouts.
I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. ~Bruce Lee

veganpotter

#15 Postby veganpotter » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Buy various organic beans in bulk, oat groats, wheat berries, quinoa and maybe flax seeds and sesame seeds. Soak them in water for 24hrs then drain and rinse them every 8-12 hours. If 2-3 days depending on what your sprouting you'll have sprouts. Its also much cheaper than buying them.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”