calories

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Hero
Elephant

calories

#1 Postby Hero » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:31 pm

aside from bananas,

what are some cheap sources of raw foods that are high in calories?

nuts are wayyy to expensive.

veganpotter

#2 Postby veganpotter » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:27 pm

If you can find raw nuts then eat them but most aren't...avocados surely have the most I would think...along with coconut(a nut) which isn't all that pricey at an asian market. Sprouted beans/grains are good too since they have just as many calories raw as they do cooked.

Hero
Elephant

#3 Postby Hero » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:30 pm

sprouted beans....good call. i forgot about them.

which beans can i eat raw, and which are poisonous?

i know lentils can be eating raw.

can peas be sprouted too?

veganpotter

#4 Postby veganpotter » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:17 pm

Chickpeas can be sprouted, as well as blackeyed peas...other than that I don't think I've tried anything else. As for beans being poisonous I don't think any you buy are. Kidneybeans are said to be but I've eaten way to much to be an exception to the rule. If it were even remotely poisonous I'd like to think I've eaten way too much to not suffer from them.

Hero
Elephant

#5 Postby Hero » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:34 am

thanks

VeganDude
Manatee

#6 Postby VeganDude » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:45 am

veganpotter wrote:As for beans being poisonous I don't think any you buy are. Kidneybeans are said to be but I've eaten way to much to be an exception to the rule. If it were even remotely poisonous I'd like to think I've eaten way too much to not suffer from them.

Did you eat them out of a can? If you did then afcorse they have been heated so they are not poisonous anymore. Things out of cans aren't raw.

This is from wiki: (not sure how correct it is..)

Before they are eaten, the raw bean seeds should be boiled for at least ten minutes to degrade a toxic compound - the lectin phytohaemagglutinin - found in the bean which would otherwise cause severe gastric upset. This compound is present in many varieties (and in some other species of bean), but is especially concentrated in red kidney beans. Although in the case of dry beans the ten minutes required to degrade the toxin is much shorter than the hours required to fully cook the beans themselves, outbreaks of poisoning have been associated with the use of slow cookers whose low cooking temperatures may be unable to degrade the toxin. Sprouts of pulses high in haemaglutins should not be eaten. Red kidney beans, especially, should not be sprouted.

brahmanya devi
Rabbit

#7 Postby brahmanya devi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:46 am

carob

veganpotter

#8 Postby veganpotter » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:05 am

No I didn't eat them out of a can...things in cans are not raw to begin with. I sprouted them myself and I liked it and I will do it again in the future...I've eaten many many pounds of sprouted kidney beans....also if they were out of a can I couldn't sprout them.

Bikerdave

#9 Postby Bikerdave » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:27 am

veganpotter wrote:No I didn't eat them out of a can...things in cans are not raw to begin with. I sprouted them myself and I liked it and I will do it again in the future...I've eaten many many pounds of sprouted kidney beans....also if they were out of a can I couldn't sprout them.
:lachmal: :lachmal: :lachmal:

seand
Rabbit

#10 Postby seand » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:21 am

all melons, mangos, papayas, grapes, figs, avocados

are a few of the in season ones that are available now...

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”