Calories needed

Trail Pair

Hi everyone!

My husband and I recently started a raw vegan diet. Does it seem that you need more, less, or the same caloric intake to build muscle on a raw diet vs. cooked diet? So far we have been trying to keep our calories the same as before. How many calories per day are most raw vegan bodybuilders consuming?

Thanks, Kolleen and Bob

Depending on how you ate before and what the goals you have are it will be very difficult to eat 3000+ calorie raw diet. Its possible but your gonna need to eat tons of fatty food like coconut and avocados. It is possible though...you've just gotta eat as much raw food as you can. If you just want modest gains, eating enough to be satisfied should be more than adequate.

We are eating lots of nuts, avocados, and coconut. I weigh 120 pounds and am trying to get in 2,500cal/ day. My husband weighs 180 lbs and is consuming a little over 3,000 calories. We both need to put back on some muscle! We have lost quite a bit the last few years due to long hikes on the weekends, our new passion.

We have some friends who are raw foodists (not bodybuilders) who think people need fewer calories on raw, but we haven't noticed that.

Depending on how you ate before and what the goals you have are it will be very difficult to eat 3000+ calorie raw diet. Its possible but your gonna need to eat tons of fatty food like coconut and avocados. It is possible though...you've just gotta eat as much raw food as you can. If you just want modest gains, eating enough to be satisfied should be more than adequate.

SPROUTS give lots of calories. like sprouted lentils and chickpeas

I just sprouted some mung beans. Now I still cant find where sprouted beans give a lot of calories.

If you go to calorie-count.com you see that

Calories in Mung Beans, Mature Seeds Raw: 718 cals in 1 Cup

but

Calories in Mung Beans, Mature Seeds, Sprouted Raw: 31 calories in 1 cup

I sprouted some Mung Beans recently and always wondered about this. Now if I ate the unsprouted beans, thats an amazing amount of calories for cheap. I would loe this. But when you sprout it a cup goes dramatically down to 31 cals. Thats not much at all.

I just sprouted some mung beans. Now I still cant find where sprouted beans give a lot of calories.

If you go to calorie-count.com you see that

Calories in Mung Beans, Mature Seeds Raw: 718 cals in 1 Cup

but

Calories in Mung Beans, Mature Seeds, Sprouted Raw: 31 calories in 1 cup

I sprouted some Mung Beans recently and always wondered about this. Now if I ate the unsprouted beans, thats an amazing amount of calories for cheap. I would loe this. But when you sprout it a cup goes dramatically down to 31 cals. Thats not much at all.

yeah i didnt mention mung beans. i mentioned lentils and chickpeas....

those are the two I find to give me a lot of calories and protein too

Ok. Same thing goes.

Cals in Lentills, Mature Seed, Raw: 649 cal one cup

Cals in Lentils, Matures Seed, Sprouted: 82 cal one cup

So with lentils and with mung beans we see that sprouting lowers the calorie count.

Is there someway to eat the raw lentils, without sprouting them? So that way you get all 649 cals? Like just to soak them over night?

I just sprouted 1 cup of mung beans, and I eat about 1 cup a day. In the beginning when I ate it, they werent even sprouted after a over night soak, just soft. I felt amazingly full, but now that they are sprouted I dont get full as much. But they are huge now! They last forever! Just one cup has lasted me almost a full week.

Just questions

Ok. Same thing goes.

So with lentils and with mung beans we see that sprouting lowers the calorie count.

Is there someway to eat the raw lentils, without sprouting them? So that way you get all 649 cals? Like just to soak them over night?

I just sprouted 1 cup of mung beans, and I eat about 1 cup a day. In the beginning when I ate it, they werent even sprouted after a over night soak, just soft. I felt amazingly full, but now that they are sprouted I dont get full as much. But they are huge now! They last forever! Just one cup has lasted me almost a full week.

Just questions

I've eaten them soaked after just 8 hours, but they probably taste better sprouted.

Ok. Same thing goes.

Just questions

Sprouting doesn't actually lower the calorie count. When you sprout, the volume of food produced goes up, so you need to eat more to get the same amount. If you sprout 1 cup, it will be about 4 cups or so, versus the one cup if you cooked it.