Why not eat beans?

Bill

I've been learning about raw foods recently, and it really seems like the way to go.

One question I have though, is: why not eat beans?

Of course, I realize beans are cooked. But, it is not like when you cook a vegetable and partially ruin its nutrition.

Could anybody shed some light on this? Thanks!

Bill,

In the past we've had a lot of raw foodists on this forum who could tell you the downside of cooked beans and grains. Some raw foodists sprout certain beans (mung comes to mind but others have toxins that need to be deactivated by heat). Some raw foodists also sprout grains. The majority of members on this forum eat cooked foods so we might not be the best source of info. There are several books and websites that could give you a satisfactory answer if you do some research.

Good luck with your food choices!

Thanks for the reply DV.

I read the posts in this section (Raw), and I think I will soon give sprouting a try. I also listened to the Raw Vegan Radio podcast by the "Sproutman", and that also peaked my interest.

Bill,

In the past we've had a lot of raw foodists on this forum who could tell you the downside of cooked beans and grains. Some raw foodists sprout certain beans (mung comes to mind but others have toxins that need to be deactivated by heat). Some raw foodists also sprout grains. The majority of members on this forum eat cooked foods so we might not be the best source of info. There are several books and websites that could give you a satisfactory answer if you do some research.

Good luck with your food choices!

aw...heeey I'm still here!

occassionally

And I don't eat cooked food.

ESPECIALLY beans.

They hurt my tummy.

I am going to lump beans into the same catagory as grains on this one,

because I do believe they are more acidic to the human body,

than alkaline. And a major goal/point to eating raw food is to

eat as alkaline as possible. (although some acidity is completely

condusive to healing..)

There is just, nutritionally speaking, no reason to consume beans.

They are a survival food.

(just like rice and other grains)

Meaning that in times of famine, that is what you should be consuming

to survive; not when you have access to fresh foods.

Fresh is best!

Here are some websites to help you out:

www.living-foods.com

www.rawfoodexplained.com

www.curezone.com

Everything has toxins...I say sprout beans. I've been doing it for a long time...before I even considered doing the raw food thing and I'm fine despite what I've heard about them...I've heard only a few ounzes of kidney beans would kill you...definitely not the case. I actually feel my best training while eating bean sprouts....I'd be eating them right now if I didn't get tired of dealing the washing them.

I've been learning about raw foods recently, and it really seems like the way to go.

Bill, why do you think that?

My apologies for offering unsolicited advice but I think you will get better results from your health and fitness efforts if you ask yourself the following questions:

- Who are the people giving me this advice?

- What credentials do they have?

- Are those credentials meaningful to the subject they are talking about?

- Why are those credentials meaningful to that subject?

- How do these people know what they claim to know?

- Do other people agree with them? Why? Why Not?

( repeat these questions for those "other people" )

- Is it possible that who got good results got them for reasons other than

what they think?

Cheers

Thanks andesuma. I think that is what I was looking for.

I think I'll try sprouting my own beans pretty soon here.

Awesome!

sprouted beans do taste interesting, kind of plain and sweet.

Especially garbanzoes.

Let us know how it goes...

And also, with raw foods, just listen to your body.

It is the best indicator of your health & wellbeing, it's also much

better at knowing how to be/& become healthy than your mind

But absolutely do your research, always. From as many sources

as you can get your hands on.

May I recommend works by both Dr.Gaberial Cousens (www.treeoflife.nu), and Dr. Fred Bisci .

Good Luck in your quest for health

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided there is no right answer, no perfect way or eating, and there are various factors I weigh in my diet.

Proper nutritional balance.

Taste and ease of preparation.

Cost.

There is so much information out there about how to eat...blood types, ayruvedic system, oxydative type, etc....

Then there is the question of what is your goal? For example, if boxing was the most important thing in my life, then even though eating large amounts of food might not be beneficial to health in one sense, it may be the only way to reach my dreams and be happy and therefore is clearly more healthy.

So, in a sense, food for me is a means to an ends once again.

PS - Sprouted large beans (like kidney beans) are not good for eating from what I have read and tried.

PPS - If you are worried about keeping protein high enough for weight lifting or something like that, it makes a lot more sense to me to eat some cooked beans than a bunch of "raw" nuts.

I've sprouted many large beans...kidney beans being one of my favorite and supposedly the worst toxic...I'd be long dead if that were true. Really the only sprouted bean I've had and not liked is black beans.