Hows your love life?

kollision

I drink....but I think maybe I can understand how some of you feel about alcohol if I compare it to my feelings on cigarettes and marijuana. I simply can't abide them. I don't like to be around people that smoke, or even people that have smoked. Especially being in college, pot is so prevalent and it drives me crazy. My preference is for people that have never even tried them, let alone do them now.

So....I guess I can understand the feeling

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ, now I know how people can argue over the meaning of the word vegetarian. I'm sorry, I really don't want to argue about it anymore. I just find it bemusing that a word with such a clear definition can be so broadly interpreted. A=without, theism=religion/god

I guess I should be glad that I'm not actually arguing religion and atheism.

Jesus Christ, now I know how people can argue over the meaning of the word vegetarian. I'm sorry, I really don't want to argue about it anymore. I just find it bemusing that a word with such a clear definition can be so broadly interpreted. A=without, theism=religion/god

I guess I should be glad that I'm not actually arguing religion and atheism.

I think it's funny that you use "Jesus Christ" in post on atheism I couldn't be an atheist, who's name would I take in vain?

A preference for people that have never even tried them...

Elaborate?

I'm curious.

Also, I'm pretty much an atheist Jew. If that makes sense. And I think it'd be awesome to be a televangelist. Or at least do one of those mega churches. Get a degree in theology. The whole nine yards.

I'd just have to word everything right so I wasn't speaking about things I didn't believe. So I couldn't say things like Jesus told me to do x. But I coud say things like the bible says x. Mmm. That'd be fun. I'd be so bombastic.

Elaborate?

I'm curious.

Also, I'm pretty much an atheist Jew. If that makes sense. And I think it'd be awesome to be a televangelist. Or at least do one of those mega churches. Get a degree in theology. The whole nine yards.

I'd just have to word everything right so I wasn't speaking about things I didn't believe. So I couldn't say things like Jesus told me to do x. But I coud say things like the bible says x. Mmm. That'd be fun. I'd be so bombastic.

Atheist Jew? Hows that?

Judaism today is mostly just European people with Judaism as their religion. The real Semetic Jews are not really as much as the European Jews that are in USA, Europe and even in Israel itself.

Are you Jew by religion or by Semetic blood?

Elaborate?

I'm curious.

I'm repulsed by smoking, and I always have been. I've never smoked any sort of anything because I find it so gross. It's hard to explain, but when I find out someone has smoked either cigarettes or pot before, I feel a little twinge of "ew". I think it's at least partly disappointment. Nothing insurmountable by any means, as long as they no longer do it of course. I don't actually know anyone besides myself, and probably Rob and Topher, that hasn't at least experimented. I have friends that smoke cigarettes when they drink, and I can barely stand to be around them then. It's really upsetting to me, but I'm not sure I can verablize the feeling.

It's difficult to describe, which is why I imagine it must be similar to how those that don't want to date someone who drinks feels.

Sidenote, my family was Jewish 2 generations ago, but my great-grandfather converted to Baptism to marry my non-Jewish great-grandmother.

I'm jewish by birth. And by tradition. And I consider myself jewish. But i'm not big into god. I make a pretty good argument not agains the existance of god, but against consideration about god... basically that it's a waste of time. But I like the religion a lot. I go to synagogue a few times a year. And I like the history. And the argumentative nuanced nature. I think I mentioned that in another thread around here somwhere. It's great fun to go back and forth painstakingly over mintue details like if someone walked or ran somewhere and what that means and the root of a word etc. All good stuff. And the songs and dancing. If I have a dream, it's that one day I'll wake up in a magical land where every hour or so a musical breaks out. Like on the bus. Or in a class. Or at the mall

I'm jewish by birth. And by tradition. And I consider myself jewish. But i'm not big into god. I make a pretty good argument not agains the existance of god, but against consideration about god... basically that it's a waste of time. But I like the religion a lot. I go to synagogue a few times a year. And I like the history. And the argumentative nuanced nature. I think I mentioned that in another thread around here somwhere. It's great fun to go back and forth painstakingly over mintue details like if someone walked or ran somewhere and what that means and the root of a word etc. All good stuff. And the songs and dancing. If I have a dream, it's that one day I'll wake up in a magical land where every hour or so a musical breaks out. Like on the bus. Or in a class. Or at the mall

Can you write and speak Hebrew?

I wish.

I can barely sound it out reading it but I don't know what I'm saying.

One of these days I'll sit down and learn some languages. Hebrew will be one of them. I took lessons for 6 weeks prior to my Bar Mitzvah training to try to gain some knowledge but because the Hebrew in the old testament is a little old it's a bit different. Or so I'm told.

I wish.

I can barely sound it out reading it but I don't know what I'm saying.

One of these days I'll sit down and learn some languages. Hebrew will be one of them. I took lessons for 6 weeks prior to my Bar Mitzvah training to try to gain some knowledge but because the Hebrew in the old testament is a little old it's a bit different. Or so I'm told.

I like the language. The script is really cool also. It's second from Arabic in terms of scripts that I like. Good luck in learning it, it's pretty tough!

Hah! Arabic! Now that is a beautiful looking language. I'd like to learn that one too.

The script itself or the language? I love both, but the script intrigues me. Have you seen Arabic Calligraphy? I could read Arabic by itself (sometimes it takes awhile though hehe) but the Calligraphy, man that one is cool.

http://www.cari-culture.com/images/arabic_calligraphy.jpg

I dunno what it says, but it looks great...

Expecting to read about people's love lifes' as I skimmed backwards through this thread - instead pretty heavy debate about atheism, alcohol and heroin.

Well, what's a good love life without these things?

Just kidding of course....I think what happened is we all quickly concluded that almost none of us actually has a love life worth speaking about, so the conversation took a few turns

Expecting to read about people's love lifes' as I skimmed backwards through this thread - instead pretty heavy debate about atheism, alcohol and heroin.

Just kidding of course....I think what happened is we all quickly concluded that almost none of us actually has a love life worth speaking about, so the conversation took a few turns

speak for yourself holmes.

speak for yourself holmes.

True enough, it might be interesting to speak about but it certainly wouldn't be forum appropriate I meant as far as a serious significant other...........

Does this thread hold the record for most replies so soon?

I think it might. I went to work today and by the time I got back I had pages to read through.

I know I thought the same. I find it quite odd that in like 2 days this has the most posts ever...I'd think other threads of more importance would have more posts...

1. I am very sorry about being online on weekdays only!

2. My love life: Loving my girlfriend Anke and having a child (Marla) together. They are the best that ever happened to me. Anke was vegetarian before me and still is. She is not sxe but does not smoke or uses illegal drugs. Although she has some problems accepting my vegan lifestyle (eating in restaurants is not that easy anymore and eating popcorn in the movie theatre is over) our relationship works very well. I think the most important thing in a relationship besides loving eachother is respecting eachother. It is not useful to search for a person who already is "perfect" since life is movement and people CAN change.

3. Drugs/sxe: I have been straight edge for many years (about 10) and now eating vegan chocolate once in a while. During the last 12 years I drank alcohol 5 times.

4. God/religion: I am quite sure that there is something more than we are. It is not necessarily metaphysical by definition. The idea of everything being linked is a great inspiration and motivation especially concerning veganism and acting ecologically senseful.

When someone really shows interest in why I am living the way I do, I will give him/her detailled information.

When someone obviously needs help and I think he/her is willing to accept new arguments, I carefully try to provide some new ideas.

Accepting others choices/way of lives and diseases (=addictions) I really try not to help and being a role model. I think the main problem for those who want to help is to find the right level to communicate. I admire those who open other peoples mind just by the way they are (like the dalai lama) or sing (http://www.choying.com).

We are all just making excuses for our lonely selves to change the subject in a clever manner...and we went for the big topics. Not fresh breath and clean fingernails...oooohhhh noooooo. Religion and drugs. Mwah ha ha.