Avocado recipes

ChaserHUN

Ahh, I don't add olive oil, I still have a hard time eating it, I don't like that fatty taste in my mouth, with soy milk it's better, but soy milk is a bit expensive and I wanna get my foods as cheap as possibly, so any advice what to do with that fatty taste? ( I follow food combining so I don't wanna mix the whole garden together)

This is a very different, very awesome raw vegan recipe I learned from Woody Harrelson's Voice Yourself web site (which I learned about from the movie Go Further). He has a full-time raw vegan chef, lucky bastard.

Chocolate of the Gods Mousse

Yields 1 dish

INGREDIENTS

* 3 avocados

* 1/2-cup maple syrup

or 1-1/4 cup soft dates (as an alternative sweetener)

* 2-4 tablespoons organic evaporated cane juice* (optional- for a sweeter tooth)

* 1-tablespoon non-alcoholvanilla extract

* 1-1/2 tablespoon cold-pressed coconut butter or olive oil (I recommend Omega Nutrition coconut butter as it does not smell or taste like coconut- which interferes with the fine flavor of chocolate)

* 3/4-cup raw carob powder

* 4 tablespoons organic cocoa powder (add a touch more for "darker" chocolate- I adore dark chocolate)

If raw carob is not available, use a total of 2/3-cup coca (as cocoa has a much stronger flavor than carob), adding more to taste

* 1-pint raspberries or sliced strawberries

* Fresh mint leaves

*An unrefined, organic "raw sugar"- produced by a company called Wholesome Foods- available in most health food and natural food stores

TECHNIQUE

If you are using dates:

pit the dates and cover with fresh water to soften for 5-15 minutes

In a food processor:

Blend avocados (scooped out of the skin without the pit!), with sweet ingredients, vanilla and coconut butter or olive oil until smooth

Spoon in carob and cocoa powder and blend until creamy

Layer with fresh berries in a wine or martini glass and top with fresh mint leaves

This mousse will stay fresh in a sealed container in the fridge for 3-4 days

CRUMBLE CRUST

* 1/2 cup almonds, soaked in fresh water for 8 hours

* 3/4-cup pecans

* 3/4-cup walnuts

* 4-6 soft dates, pitted

* 2 tablespoons maple syrup or raw honey

* 2 teaspoons cinnamon

* pinch sundried sea salt

TECHNIQUE

In a food processor:

chop nuts into a fine meal.

Add dates and maple or honey and chop until well mixed.

Add cinnamon and a pinch of salt.

The texture should be crumbly and sticky.

Press evenly into a pie plate.

Sliced strawberries or bananas can be layered into bottom of the piecrust.

Spread the Chocolate of the Gods Mousse evenly into the pie crust and generously top with fresh berries and mint.

-------------------

For convenience, I usually just make the mousse and then make parfaits with the mousse and sliced strawberry and banana. It kicks ass! I have horrified many a friend (both veggie and non-veggie) by giving them this dessert and then telling them afterward that it was made of avocados. It really just turns out like a thick chocolate pudding/mousse. You'd never guess the avocados were its base.

Obviously, this is not how I usually eat avocados...but it's damn good!

I don't really want big special recipes, just something to get rid of that fatty taste because I hate that

Sorry, I just jumped at the chance to post that recipe.

Have you ever tried dicing up pieces of avocado and putting them into a tossed salad? My brother does this all the time. It's actually pretty good. Definitely doesn't taste 'fatty' to me when it's with all that lettuce, pepper, etc. Lemon juice is great in these salads, since it works so well with the avocado.

If you don't like the taste of avocado so much but still want your healthy fatty acids, you can substitute for any seeds or nuts. Drop some peanuts in a salad or make a salad dressing made of sesame and lemon juice or another fruit. With ground sesame, you can do also tahini (sesame butter) or gomasio (sesame salt) that you put in salads or on bread. Not avocado but still good... I apologize to the "off-topic" opponents

If you don't like the taste of avocado so much but still want your healthy fatty acids, you can substitute for any seeds or nuts. Drop some peanuts in a salad or make a salad dressing made of sesame and lemon juice or another fruit. With ground sesame, you can do also tahini (sesame butter) or gomasio (sesame salt) that you put in salads or on bread. Not avocado but still good... I apologize to the "off-topic" opponents

As an ardent defender of staying on-topic, I reprimand you with all my...stuff.

You could try making a pudding with it maybe. There are a couple of raw vegans at my school's vegan club who made some with cacao, avocado and agave nectar. I didn't get to try any because it went so fast, so I cannot tell you whether or not you will notice an oily film in it. I would think not thanks to the syrup and the fat absorbing of the cocoa powder.

hmm, I can eat some nuts and seeds too, who is good in counting calories etc. ? I wanna get to 200-300 calories from fats not more, I eat about total 2000-3000 calories, an avocado has about 250 calories from fats witch is good for a day, so how much nuts and seeds should I eat? I have sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, flax seeds, nuts, and sometimes almonds too

You could try making a pudding with it maybe. There are a couple of raw vegans at my school's vegan club who made some with cacao, avocado and agave nectar. I didn't get to try any because it went so fast, so I cannot tell you whether or not you will notice an oily film in it. I would think not thanks to the syrup and the fat absorbing of the cocoa powder.

Scroll up

I found a calorie-counter, sunflower seeds are really high in calories from fat, 43g has 213 calories from fat

Sunflower seeds are good, but if I recall correctly, hemp seeds have the most ideal ratio of omega 3 & 6, not to mention a huge amount of them, and are a source of complete protein to boot. I think they taste fantastic as well.

I found a calorie-counter, sunflower seeds are really high in calories from fat, 43g has 213 calories from fat

Sunflower seeds are good, but if I recall correctly, hemp seeds have the most ideal ratio of omega 3 & 6, not to mention a huge amount of them, and are a source of complete protein to boot. I think they taste fantastic as well.

yeah, but hemp is banned in my country so I can't get them maybe the oil of it, I saw that once

Scroll up

Indeed. I thought your recipe was some kind of pie; didn't realize the filling was basically a pudding, hehe.

This is a very different, very awesome raw vegan recipe I learned from Woody Harrelson's Voice Yourself web site (which I learned about from the movie Go Further). He has a full-time raw vegan chef, lucky bastard.

Chocolate of the Gods Mousse

Yields 1 dish

INGREDIENTS

* 3 avocados

* 1/2-cup maple syrup

or 1-1/4 cup soft dates (as an alternative sweetener)

* 2-4 tablespoons organic evaporated cane juice* (optional- for a sweeter tooth)

* 1-tablespoon non-alcoholvanilla extract

* 1-1/2 tablespoon cold-pressed coconut butter or olive oil (I recommend Omega Nutrition coconut butter as it does not smell or taste like coconut- which interferes with the fine flavor of chocolate)

* 3/4-cup raw carob powder

* 4 tablespoons organic cocoa powder (add a touch more for "darker" chocolate- I adore dark chocolate)

If raw carob is not available, use a total of 2/3-cup coca (as cocoa has a much stronger flavor than carob), adding more to taste

* 1-pint raspberries or sliced strawberries

* Fresh mint leaves

*An unrefined, organic "raw sugar"- produced by a company called Wholesome Foods- available in most health food and natural food stores

TECHNIQUE

If you are using dates:

pit the dates and cover with fresh water to soften for 5-15 minutes

In a food processor:

Blend avocados (scooped out of the skin without the pit!), with sweet ingredients, vanilla and coconut butter or olive oil until smooth

Spoon in carob and cocoa powder and blend until creamy

Layer with fresh berries in a wine or martini glass and top with fresh mint leaves

This mousse will stay fresh in a sealed container in the fridge for 3-4 days

CRUMBLE CRUST

* 1/2 cup almonds, soaked in fresh water for 8 hours

* 3/4-cup pecans

* 3/4-cup walnuts

* 4-6 soft dates, pitted

* 2 tablespoons maple syrup or raw honey

* 2 teaspoons cinnamon

* pinch sundried sea salt

TECHNIQUE

In a food processor:

chop nuts into a fine meal.

Add dates and maple or honey and chop until well mixed.

Add cinnamon and a pinch of salt.

The texture should be crumbly and sticky.

Press evenly into a pie plate.

Sliced strawberries or bananas can be layered into bottom of the piecrust.

Spread the Chocolate of the Gods Mousse evenly into the pie crust and generously top with fresh berries and mint.

-------------------

For convenience, I usually just make the mousse and then make parfaits with the mousse and sliced strawberry and banana. It kicks ass! I have horrified many a friend (both veggie and non-veggie) by giving them this dessert and then telling them afterward that it was made of avocados. It really just turns out like a thick chocolate pudding/mousse. You'd never guess the avocados were its base.

Obviously, this is not how I usually eat avocados...but it's damn good!

I saw that documentary and I loved the sound of that pie! Now that you've reminded me of it I'm going to have to give it a try.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe blend it with tomatoes? I've tried avocados once already...the taste was just bland and such, so I chopped it in pieces, and poured homogenized (blended) tomatoes over it! Then, I topped it with salt and pepper.

Since my juicer homogenizes stuff as well, it's definitely helped with that!

I hope this idea helps you just as it has helped me!

Woody Harrelson is a vegan?

lol

Sorry for off topic.I dont eat a whole lot of avocado but when I do I eat it with a huge salad with various salad items, olives (black or green), croutons (little cubes of wheat heaven), & whatever else you like in your salad (maybe cold mixed beans, also I like raw vegetables in my salads, especially broccoli & carrot)