hot chocolate

xjohanx

I love hot chocolate but I hate to eat refined/brown sugar and as you probably know all hot chocolate powders/milks are filled with them. I'm thinking about trying to mix cocoa, soy milk and stevia or cocoa, do you think that's a bad idea? I don't have stevia at home and I don't want to buy it if this doesn't work. If you don't know, do you have a better suggestion for "healthy" hot chocolate?

I do rice milk, dark cocoa, and agave to sweeten it up a bit (like 1 teaspoon only. I love dark cocoa just as is! so bitter!). I will also add some kudzu root (used as a thickener for gravy, puddings, etc.) after the rice milk comes to a boil to give it a creamy texture. I also add grapeseed oil (a light non tasting oil) to give it a creamy slippery texture to the tongue (like whole milk fat in the real dairy hot cocoa). All this work, and it lasts about 20 seconds as the kids slurp it down!!!!

• 1 month later...
I love hot chocolate but I hate to eat refined/brown sugar and as you probably know all hot chocolate powders/milks are filled with them. I'm thinking about trying to mix cocoa, soy milk and stevia or cocoa, do you think that's a bad idea? I don't have stevia at home and I don't want to buy it if this doesn't work. If you don't know, do you have a better suggestion for "healthy" hot chocolate?

What do you call "hot chocolate"? I always buy chocolate powder, which is absolutely free of sugar. Just use soymilk and cook it together. Of course pure chocolate powder is not sweet. Ever tried to sweeten it with date syrup or any other syrup?

Tip: if you are using chocolate powder, first put the powder into the cup, add just a little bit of cold water to it and mix it with a spoon untill it becomes a smooth paste. Then add the hot soymilk and syrup. In that way you avoid - I don't know how to call it - choclate pieces in the milk.