Raw Key Lime Pie YUMMMMMMMMMY!

Lean and Green

I had a going away potluck in nyc at my pad before I moved to Portland. Someone brought over this Key Lime Pie and it was so over the top freakin' delicious that I asked her for the recipe. Haven't made it myself but everyone loved it. It is extremely rich, as i'm sure you'll be able to tell by the ingredients....

Just though i'd share Also we're making a raw food thanksgiving and cooked too so hopefully a nice post tonight to explain what will go into the recipes. The raw stuffing is reaaally tasty.

Raw Key Lime Pie

Crust: (Combine in a food processor)

1 1/2 cups almonds (or nut of choice)

1 1/2 cups dried coconut flakes

1/2 cup dates (or enough to stick everything together)

Filling: (Combine in a blender)

3 Avocados

1 Cup agave nectar

14 cup lime juice

***Raspberries all over the top layer for deco and because they taste yummy***

So simple yet it looked so extravagant and tasted out of this world. Highly recommended.

I have alot of super good recipes to share and a new found love affair with food right now so expect more threads soon. Prepping is so much fun!

You mean 1/4 cups of lime juice, right? 14 cups would be amazingly sour.

I thought agave nectar was cooked? Can someone clear this out.

rawmodel.blogspot.com has another recepie for key lime pie, less agave more oils.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_f4ch8yJ1cZw/SIinVGK_D5I/AAAAAAAABZk/fUFJejqB9R0/S220/IMG_3781.jpg

1 Avocado, 1/4 cup of Coconut Oil, 1 tbls of Lime Juice, 1 tbls of Agave. Crust is 1 part Nuts:1 part Dates. EASY! Freeze first!

I thought agave nectar was cooked? Can someone clear this out.

I only bought agave nectar once, where I bought it I had the choice between one the bottle said : RAW Blue agave nectar, there was also one or two bottle of the same brand it wasn't written Raw nor blue. It's great because it's cheaper than maple syrup, brown rice syrup, etc; and tastes delicious.

yeah but i've heard that it's not true. anyone has any inside in the making of agave nectar?

To produce agave nectar, juice is expressed from the core of the agave, called the piña.[1] The juice is filtered, then heated, to hydrolyze carbohydrates into sugars. The main carbohydrate is a complex form of fructose called inulin or fructosan. The filtered, hydrolyzed juice is concentrated to a syrup-like liquid a little thinner than honey and ranges in color from light to dark depending on the degree of processing. The syrup naturally contains quantities of Iron, Calcium, Potassium & Magnesium which contribute to the resulting color.[citation needed]

There is a United States patent for a process that uses enzymes to hydrolyze the polyfructose extract into fructose, using an enzyme derived from Aspergillus niger (black mold).[2]

Presumably the kind that uses enzymes isn't heated.

There is a United States patent for a process that uses enzymes to hydrolyze the polyfructose extract into fructose, using an enzyme derived from Aspergillus niger (black mold).[2]

Interesting. So I assume the raw foodies have some sort of temperature threshold that cannot be exceeded while remaining raw? And why a distinction between hydrolization via heat vs enzyme?

Interesting. So I assume the raw foodies have some sort of temperature threshold that cannot be exceeded while remaining raw? And why a distinction between hydrolization via heat vs enzyme?

From what I understand, yeah. The temperature varies, I guess it only counts as cooking if you heat it up past a certain point. Or something. I don't know how they justify stuff like dehydrators.