Could Use A Vegan Gravy Recipe

veggieprincess

I'll try to explain mine, it's one of those kind of recipes that's just by eye, feel, and taste. I taught it to my kids, but they were right here with me. Wanna come visit?

Everyone loves this stuff, I'm kind of famous for it.

Melt about a half a cup of your favorite combo of margarine and extra virgin olive oil over low heat. The less margarine you use, the more salt you'll need to use for seasoning. Add about a half cup of unbleached white flour, twice as much if you use whole wheat or spelt. Make sure all the grains of flour are covered in fat, and lightly toast it. Add a nice big sprig chopped fresh rosemary to the toasting. Keep the flour moving so it doesn't scorch. While its turning golden, bring about 5 cups of water to a boil. When the flour is toasty, turn the heat up to high, keeping the flour moving, add a tablespoon of tamari so it scorches. Then whisk in about 4 cups of boiling water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once it boils, turn it down. Season with salt, pepper, and sage (marjoram, cayenne, and thyme, if you feel like it.)

*Don't keep this stuff boiling. If you do, it might break down.

I always go with Bryanna Clark Grogan recipes when I want fool-proof, especially for guests. These are so incredibly fast and easy. Here are two:

BRYANNA’S RICH BROWN (FAT-FREE!) YEAST GRAVY

Makes about 2 and 1/2 c.

This fat-free and delicious brown gravy is one of our favorite staples.

2 and 1/2 c. water

1/3 c. unbleached white flour

1/3 c. nutritional yeast flakes

2 T. soy sauce

1/2 tsp. salt

Optional: a few shakes of gravy browner, such as Kitchen Bouquet (or use mushroom soy sauce, which is darker), for a darker color

In a heavy saucepan over high heat, whisk the yeast and flour together until it smells toasty. Off the heat, whisk in the water, soy sauce, salt and gravy browner, if using. Stir constantly over high heat until it thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-5 minutes. This can be made ahead and reheated.

MICROWAVE OPTION:

In a 1 and 1/2 qt. microwave-proof bowl, mix the flour and yeast. Toast this in the microwave on HI for 3 minutes, uncovered. Whisk in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on HI for 3 minutes. Whisk. Cover and cook again for 3 minutes on HI. Whisk. Or, make 1/2 the recipe in a 4 c. microwave-safe glass measuring container, and cook as above, but in 2 minute increments.

VARIATIONS: You can use some wine instead of some of the water, if you like, and you can add sauteed mushrooms, onions, vegetarian “hamburger crumbles” and other vegetarian meat alternates, if you wish.

ALLERGY NOTE: To make this wheat-free, omit the wheat flour, toast the nutritional yeast flakes on their own. After that step is done, add 5 T. of rice flour and continue with the recipe. (1/3 of a cup is about 5 and 1/2 T.; you want a little bit less rice flour than wheat flour.)

------------

BRYANNA'S NEW CHICKPEA AND OAT FLOUR RICH BROWN (FATFREE1) VEGAN GRAVY

1/3 cup

nutritional yeast flakes

2 tablespoons oat flour (grind rolled or quick oats in a DRY blender or electric coffee/spice mill)

4 tablespoons chickpea flour (besan)

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 1/2 cups water

1/2 teaspoon salt

a few shakes of gravy browner, such as Kitchen Bouquet (optional)

("Ham" Gravy Variation: Add 1/2 tablespoon ketchup, 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke)

In a heavy saucepan over high heat, whisk the yeast and flourS together until it smells toasty. Off the heat, whisk in the water, soy sauce, salt, and gravy browner, if using. Stir constantly over high heat until it thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-5 minutes. This can be made ahead and reheated.

MICROWAVE OPTION:

In a 1 and 1/2 qt. microwavable bowl, mix the flourS and yeast. Toast this in the microwave on full power for 3 minutes, uncovered. Whisk in the water, soy sauce, salt, and gravy browner, if using. Cover and cook on full power for 3 minutes. Whisk. Cover and cook again for 3 minutes on full power. Whisk. NOTE: You can make half the recipe in a 4-cup microwavable glass measuring container, and cook as above, but in 2 minute increments. Or you can double the recipe and make it in a large Pyrex bowl and increase the cooking time a bit.

VARIATIONS:

You can use some wine (perhaps 1/2 c.) instead of some of the water, if you like, and you can add steam-fried mushrooms, onions, vegetarian "hamburger crumbles" and other vegetarian meat alternates, if you wish.

Makes 2 1/2 cups

Nutrition Facts

Nutrition (per 1/4 cup): 26.6 calories; 13% calories from fat; 0.4g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 218.0mg sodium; 113.5mg potassium; 3.5g carbohydrates; 1.4g fiber; 0.3g sugar; 3.0g protein.

ended up putting my mom in charge of gravy. It tasted pretty good.

My whole Omni family ate Vegan for me and Sierra this Thanksgiving! I was very very touched

VP, I think I am channeling a memory for last year. Last Thanksgiving did you post a picture of a wonderful TG meal you made? Wow, it seems like......last year.

Yep! It turned out phenomenol. This year AND last year I made the Chickpea Broccoli Casserole from Vegan with a Vengeance, but last year's turned out so much better and I can't figure out why Oh well.. everything else was great.

(Last year's VeganThanksgiving)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/penelopepope/tgivingcup.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/penelopepope/P1010024.jpg

I know its too late now, but I made the Black-Eyed Pea Croquettes from Vegan with a Vengeance last night, and the mushroom sauce that goes with them is totally to die for. You'd just want to add some flour to thicken it up like she suggests.

I'm glad your mom was able to help out with it though