Ordered 70/30 Gemma and Rice Protein *UPDATED*

I just placed my order at TP for this mixture with banana bash flavoring and protease enzyme complex additive. I'll keep this topic updated with all information I can jam into here about my experience with this mixture and what recommendations I have for anyone interested in trying this as well. Also, I'd like to thank Troy and chrisjs for their very helpful information in the Protein Comparative Amino sticky topic, which everyone should check out if you have not, that helped me get the information I needed to make a confident purchase.

UPDATE

UPS dropped off my order this past friday. Coincidently, I finished my last scoops left of soy protein earlier that morning so this definitely came at a very convenient time. Anyway, I'll break down my thoughts on this particular mixture into a few different categories to give everyone an idea of what they might want to change or keep if they decide to make their own mixture as well.

Taste

My chosen flavoring was Premium Banana Bash. It is actually very pleasant and 'banana-like' as you would guess. It's sweetness is not overwhelming and replicates the natural sweetness of a banana very well. If you remember the flavor of the banana runt candies, then that's about as close as I can get to putting it into a real world description. However, the flavor is more subtle than that of the banana runt candies. Personally, I'm a big fan of bananas and I truly enjoy this flavor. This is the only flavor that I have tried from TP, as it's my first purchase, but most likely I will be sticking with this flavor for the time being.

Texture

In the morning I add several different fruits to my shake so it disguises the true texture of this mixture. When I have my pre and post workout drinks, I do not add the fruits and instead use about 8oz of pineapple juice and 4oz of water. In this case, the texture is more noticeable but it doesn't make me have negative thoughts either because it isn't unpleasant. It's not as smooth as whey isolate, which I no longer take because of my diet, but it's not nearly as thick and clumpy as soy isolate. It blends very well but leaves a bit of a chalk like feeling in your mouth. This could be from either the rice or gemma but I'm not positive and won't single either one of them out. I should also note, as small of an issue as it is to me, that it foams up slightly after being mixed in the blender. This may not occur when used with a shaker bottle but I can't speak on that because I've not tested that out.

Smell

Simply put, it smells AWESOME! The smell becomes even more pleasant after it is mixed with water or juice and the banana flavoring really stands out.

Protease Enzyme Complex

This may not be directly related to the protease mix but I definitely noticed less bloating between this and using standard soy isolate. Now, this could be because it is an entirely different protein source but I feel it's something that I should note. If anyone can confirm this that would be great and I'm sure anyone else that's unsure of this as well would also be appreciative.

Other Notes

This 2lb mix came with TP's free food grade bag. I emptied my previous 2lb soy isolate container, cleaned and dried it, then put the gemma/rice protein into it. I could not fit the entire bag into the container. This mix weighs less compared to the soy protein so for those of you making this particular switch, be sure to take this into account if you continue to use the standard 28g scoop like me that came with my soy protein container. I'm not certain on how much more soy weighs compared to this but I've been estimating and just using 1 1/4th of a scoop instead of the original 1 level scoop. The difference doesn't seem be much more than that.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this custom mix and it's more pleasing than what I had expected it to be. I plan on making another purchase of the same mix, with slight variation if I find more information on any available additives that would be beneficial. It is still too early for me to speak on any physical improvements I'm having over soy protein other than the bloating issue, which has been solved by switching to this mix. I will keep this thread updated as I make progress.

Edited by astracner

That was entirely Troy's work. I just played with the data he already had provided to come up with that ratio.

FWIW I now do 70 rice and 30 gemma which puts the amino score around 100 but it's easily blended in a shaker bottle.

By the way, TP's new enzyme blend seems to work a hell of a lot better than the old one. I have virtually no indigestion or gas with the new stuff.

Fallen Horse - I definitely will! Any information that I have found valid through my own experiences, I will provide. Also, yes, I did purchase the premium flavor. We will see just how 'premium' it really is

chrisjs - Yes, troy's work provided a great deal of helpful information. Your analysis of his protein information switched a light on in my head to do even further research. Going with the 70/30 mix showed to statistically be the superior choice of the protein supplements available to me.

Once again, I'll keep everyone posted about the product along with stats on what my physical reactions are to the mix. I ordered it this weekend so once it has shipped it should take about 3 days. You can expect an update around that time.

• 2 weeks later...