So where is all the outcry about "Obama's War"?

Vegan Joe

Don't some of you feel duped.

That was the number one battle cry from all those Obama supporters.

"""Don't you want to end the war?"""

They would ask me well Obama going to end it so why not vote for him.

Obama got his war chest budget approved not too long ago.

Yet I didn't hear a peep from all those people who were screaming like maniacs when Bush was asking for it.

I guess it's a self defense mechanism, that we use when you realise that you were lied to.

Just pretend it never happened hey folks.

I have a son who spent 15 months in Iraq and is scheduled to do 12 months in Afghanistan.

Well, where the fuck are you now.

I don't hear a peep from anybody calling for the end of the war.

If you feel offended by this thread, maybe you should just feel embarrased instead.

Edited by Vegan Joe

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called that this was going to be a "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" situation before the election. Some of us didn't expect the change promised, but then again, it's politics, so do we EVER really win? Sorry to hear that your son is going to get stuck on another tour of duty - it's too bad that it doesn't look like this thing's ending anywhere near as soon as some people claimed it would.

We're caught up in talks for healthcare reform that will cost us trillions, yet we're not expected to pay higher taxes while we're more broke than ever and are digging ourselves deeper in debt by the hour. I'm still waiting for an explanation of how this is all supposed to work out with a nice Hollywood ending like they want us to believe

Ryan is right, but I'm having a nice Hollywood ending so far aside from all the bean and rice meals. Got me a well behaved german shepherd, truck repairs, and this cute vegan gal I just met is going out with me again. However, my job sucks. I need to do something about that.

I don't think anyone expected an immediate end to the wars, at least no one sane. It's a bit more complicated than that. Are you suggesting a vote for McCain would have been a better choice for ending the war? Hardly, it would have just made the likelihood of more illegal wars much greater. Speaking of illegal wars, that's exactly what your son volunteered for, George Bush's illegal war. While I do feel for you, having your son in harms way, I don't have any sympathy AT ALL for him. He's getting exactly what he signed up for, and whatever the consequences of that may be.

I don't think anyone expected an immediate end to the wars, at least no one sane.

You're not suggesting all those "Liberal Obama's going to end the war people" are insane are you?

You haven't a clue what I'm suggesting.

And don't give that BS that you care for me either.

Nothing is further from the truth than what you just said.

I don't think anyone expected an immediate end to the wars, at least no one sane.

Then perhaps the man in charge should have been a little less quick to to have once made a claim that we could feasibly have all troops pulled out of Iraq by 2009 if he were put in office Of course, the doomsday clock is now set at 2010, but we'll see how that one works out. Like my dad always told me, don't let your mouth write a check your ass can't cash

Don't construe this as support for McCain being the savior to our problems - didn't vote for either major candidate. I voted for some other person

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j13/danemk/Killface-for-Prez2.jpg

Obama will end the war? Wtf? He never said that. He only said that he's going to pull some of the troops out from Iraq... and send them to Afghanistan. Killing Afghan people is a better choice morally, I suppose

I don't think anyone expected an immediate end to the wars, at least no one sane. It's a bit more complicated than that. Are you suggesting a vote for McCain would have been a better choice for ending the war? Hardly, it would have just made the likelihood of more illegal wars much greater. Speaking of illegal wars, that's exactly what your son volunteered for, George Bush's illegal war. While I do feel for you, having your son in harms way, I don't have any sympathy AT ALL for him. He's getting exactly what he signed up for, and whatever the consequences of that may be.

This was poorly stated, but still rather accurate. There is no draft. Being in the army is a choice. Also McCain would be extending our tour in Iraq, not reducing troop numbers...

Obama = stuck. He was so optimistic running that he never stopped to consider some of the tough realities. It's great to have big ideas to change the world, but it's much harder to actually put that into practice, especially in just a year or two. Real change takes decades...

I'd say 50,000 troop in a country the size of California constitutes an invasion or at least an occupation.

Anti-War Activists Disappointed With Obama's Iraq Withdrawal Plan

What Candidate Obama promised and President Obama delivered has many of his most ardent supporters on the left -- from members of Congress down to grassroots anti-war activists -- wondering whether he can be counted on to advance the liberal agenda.

The president, speaking to Marines in Camp Lejeune, N.C, on Friday, announced that the U.S. will end the Iraq war over the next 18 months, ordering the immediate drawdown of the 142,000 troops in Iraq. The war will officially end on Aug. 31, 2010.

But Obama's withdrawal plan will take three months longer than he promised on the campaign trail, and it will leave a residual force of between 35,000 and 50,000 troops in Iraq, which many Democrats view as too high.

"When they talk about 50,000, that's a little higher number than I had anticipated," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said before a briefing at the White House on Thursday. Other top Democrats who expressed concern about the troop levels were House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Sen. Charles Schumer, Sen. Patty Murray and Sen. Russell Feingold.

Anti-war activists gave Obama's withdrawal plan a mixed review.

"The good news is that he has a plan and that obviously his election in no small measure was the result of the massive anti-war sentiment in the country and he understands that," said Leslie Cagan, co-founder and national coordinate of United for Justice and Peace.

"The bad news from our perspective is it's going to take that long," she said. "We think the timeline could be a lot shorter. We're also troubled by the plan to leave literally tens of thousands of troops in Iraq."

Cagan said Obama should leave no troops in Iraq.

"We don't think this is a strong enough plan, which leads us to conclude that our work as an anti-war movement is far from over," she said.

Paul Kawika Martin, political director for Peace Action, called Obama's plan "one small step forward from the Bush administration."

He said the plan fails to address the fate of the six permanent bases and contractors in Iraq, or how the U.S. will aid in the country's reconstruction. But he happily noted that at least there is a clear plan, which he said wasn't the case a few years ago.

Tom Andrews, national director of Win Without War and a former congressman from Maine, praised Obama for keeping his promise to end the war but expressed concern about the residual force.

"Many of these troops will remain in harm's way," he said in a statement. "While the president noted that Iraq is not yet secure, he made it clear that responsibility for its security must rest with Iraqis and that the U.S. will end the war in Iraq 'through a transition to full Iraqi responsibility.'"

Kelly Dougherty, executive director of Iraq Veterans Against the War, said she was pleased that Obama had produced an exit plan, but she expressed concern that the troops might stay beyond the official deadline.

"It's just two more years, but after we've been there for six years, it's far too much," she said.

Some Democratic leaders said they fully supported Obama's plan.

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, called it "responsible" and "thoughtful."

"This is the responsible drawdown of the great majority of American forces from Iraq with a realistic timetable, and President Obama is correct to leave in place a sufficient residual force to complete the training of Iraqi security forces, protect our personnel, and conduct counter-terrorism missions," Kerry said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/27/obamas-iraq-withdrawal-plan-disappoints-anti-war-activists/

More often than not, real, meaningful long-term change comes from the bottom-up, not vice cersa. That's why I have almost no hope in presidents, directors, managers and the like. It continues to amaze me when people get all fired-up about a new president, new parliament, new whatever, despite having been utterly disappointed by those same officials so many times. It's crazy.

I agree with xjohanx that if voting really changed anything, they'd make it illegal. Some call it yet another kooky leftist conspiracy theory, I call it reality.

+1

...though I was one of those super excited people about a new President .....and I'm a "President" of my own company and a manager for Vega too....please don't hate me

I agree with the bottom-up change though....great post!

Sounds like someone's got a case of "sore loser" syndrome. You aren't a Birther by any chance, are you Joe?

Actually I got a case of the "I told you so". But all those dribblers with all their "save the world changes" BS lost consciousness from having their head so far up their arse, for so long.

Sounds like someone's got a case of "sore loser" syndrome. You aren't a Birther by any chance, are you Joe?

Actually I got a case of the "I told you so". But all those dribblers with all their "save the world changes" BS lost consciousness from having their head so far up their arse, for so long.

So, you ARE a Birther then?

So, you ARE a Birther then?

Apparently you keep missing the point or ignoring it. But that OK, being used is often painful.

I didn't even vote for Obama.

Answer the question.

Only if you say "please"

PS the point of this thread isn't whether you think I'm an asshole or not. So I'll give you a little more time to figure it out.