"Speed" of Proteins

I can't find this anywhere, so if it's been posted before I'm sorry.

My trainer keeps emphasizing the "speed" of proteins, saying I need a fast protein like whey at certain times and a slow protein like casein at other times. What are the vegan equivalents? I can't find this info anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

Hey I wish I had the answer for you too. Maybe some protein powder would be good now and then for me, but I feel like just eating does the trick. I'm noticing size-able gains with just a good work out 2-3 times a week and a romantic relationship with my kitchen

I figure, as long as you look into foods and their digestion rates compared with all sorts of things like protein levels, carbs, glycemic index, ph, and how they combine with other foods- and space it all out with time intervals to match... and you got yourself a great formula.

For me, I just can't afford vegan protein powders. Maybe cause that means I could buy something for my car instead. But yes, expensive stuff. I could be looking in the wrong places too. I'd love to have hemp protein in a 5 gal tub again!! Dream come true. Also a vita mix! -An even better way to get your "QUICK" protein FROM FOOD, which if you read say, the 80/10/10 diet book (which I would recommend), you might feel the same way. There are definite convenience factors that you'll have to analyze your lifestyle to decide for, but if you can, I'd build up that food relationship, and cook/ prepare and eat for your muscles.. which of course would also be for your general health. Let's not forget that you don't need that much.

Last notes, liquified smoothies with proteinatious (it's a word in my world goodies in it right after a work out= awesome. I don't know about y'all, but what I do in place of making sure I have proteins in me of different rates to absorb some level at most times- is to just eat a lot. I don't feel very abnormal with it either. But Like I said I love food! So there's usually a giant sandwich waiting for me, and I eat as many meals as I can. Usually when I'm at home, one meal gets stretched into 2 or 3. Cause when you eat while you cook, or you make something else before the other thing your making finishes because it all looks so good... well, it's one way to go. I'm a fan. But hey, at least believe me when I say, what I'm doing is working for me. And I don't take anything. I just lift and eat aside from everything else I do with my life.

I love food too, but supplements are pretty important for me. I can only have 1,800 calories even on my heaviest training days, so in order to get enough protein I really need to focus on supplements, unfortunately. (I have a metabolic condition that is not yet under control.)

I was on 1000-1300 for a year and nothing happened, I was just EXHAUSTED and fat. Now that I'm up to 1800 I have to work extra hard to maintain my weight, but I have plenty of energy, generally. I've been on 1800 for about 4 months now.

My trainer says the way I time my proteins is important so I want to get this right.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I've been consuming whey protein after my workout for some time, since it is the protein that has the quickest assimilation speed (30min), in order to have all the benefits from the window of opportunity. I recently stopped using it and bought soy protein. But the soy has a less assimilation speed (1-2h, I've been told), so when would I have to take my protein shake if I want to have all my proteins after my workout? Maybe one shake 1,5 hours before workout (in order to have proteins while I'm training, since it will prevent catabolism), then athoner one 30minutes before it? Is it necessary to take another one, again, after my workout?

Thanks.

PS: Excuse me for my bad English, I'm a french speaker.

My trainer says the way I time my proteins is important so I want to get this right.

Has your trainer told you why this is important? Because nutrient timing isn't actually as important as people are led to believe. Muscles aren't built immediately after a work out nor is weight lost. Calories in/calories for weight loss and lifting heavy/solid macro breakdown for building muscle/putting on mass.

it's important to get a lot of protein before sleep because it can stop you from building muscle and start decreasing it after 5 hours without eating more, some people eat foods that slow down your metabolism for this reason right before bed.

also it's true that eating 30 grams of protein at your meal and having lots of these meals is better for absorption than lots at once.

so put small amounts in every hour or two during the day, and a larger amount before sleeping.. maybe mix it with a peanut butter sandwich to slow down how fast it digests. time release capsules would be nice for this reason, even though they'd contain a tiny amount of protein..just to fend off the catabolism