Where are you placing your shrugs and deadlifts???

Where do you guys place these exercises in your routine?

I know there is some overlap with these exercises...especially deadlifts so I am curious what you all have found? Unfortunately I have not put a lot of time into deadlifts in my lifting career, but it is time!

-Rich

Deadlifts go on Friday for me after my max weight sets of squats, bench or press (alternate weeks), and rows (soon to be power cleans).

I haven't found any reason to do shrugs, my traps grow well on their own from the deads and rows.

On my legs and shoulder days (I combine them), it's squats, deadlifts, lunges, overhead shoulder press, pulling the weighted bar up (don't know what that's called), and finishing with shrugs.

The way my personal trainer explained it is that you start with the biggest/most muscle groups, then work your way down to fewer/smaller groups. Shrugs are pretty small compared to deadlifts, so, according to this reasoning, after is better.

One common way to do it is to split the body up into shoulders/chest/tris and back/bis/legs. When you do deadlifts, you work the shit out of your lats and traps. You actually also get a bit of lat work with squats, because they function to extend the upper back. You would base your workouts around major lifts. First workout bench, second one squats, third one press, fourth one deadlifts. Usually something like this is ran three days per week in rotating fashion, but some run it four if their recovery warrants it. On squat day, usually a rowing variation is done for back, and on deadlift day, a vertical pull of some sort, like pull-ups.

For me, it's always been shrugs at the end of an upper back workout or at the tail end of a deadlift session. Always near the end, when no other major lifts are needing to be done.

But what if your upper back workout and deadlift session are on opposite days? You are still hitting lats on both days.

I never do upper back and deadlift on the same day - I've always kept at least a day apart between them. My lats are barely activated for deadlifting - it's all lower back, hamstrings and trapezius for me, so it isn't a problem for me to split things up with a short rest between. I only notice my lats activating if my form degrades and I find myself pulling back like a minor row to lock it out, which isn't proper, so I don't really worry about it much. So, I'll do something like this -

Monday - Upper back/chest

Wednesday - Lower back

Friday - Upper back/shoulders

Saturday or Sunday - Legs

As I've mentioned before, my upper back is a workhorse, so I can get in 2 days/week and have more than enough time to recover. It's not for everyone, but that's how I've gotten better results during cutting/maintenance periods by doing more upper back stuff. During heavy training and working to gain quickly, once per 5-7 days is plenty.

I've never been a fan of doing deadlifts with legs or upper back - they're just too intense for me to consider getting in ANY major muscle group on the same day, so both in the past (when I was a decent deadlifter) and now (when I'm re-learning all over again), I always keep deadlifts to their own day so they get all the attention. The only things I've ever done on DL day as extras are shrugs, chest or shoulders, or arm work. Only stuff that's secondary or small muscle groups, never the big stuff.

Good points Vegan....thanks.

I guess if I work on my form...lat involvement should be minimal for me. I do not have a history of deadlifting other than stiff legged DLs. I also agree that on a squat day for example...I have little left for heavy DLs. I like your split. Due to time constraints and trying to ge back into this after an illness that stole years of my life.....I was doing an upper body/lower body split......now I might start doing a full upper body day, legs, and then a lower back and abs day....all separated by one day. I am not allowed to lift or exercise two days in a row right now because exercise supresses T cells and I have to watch my immune system.