Weight Vest

Troy

Over the past 3 months I have been working out strictly in my apt to reshape my body once again. I have been incorporating more bodyweight exercises than in the past... more pullups, angled rows, pushups, dips, reverse dips, etc. Over the past couple weeks I have been using my new 100lb weight vest (2-50 lb vests) I feel like this is really giving me the resistance I need to make some bigger gains but its only been a couple weeks. Any other opinions/experience out there on using a weight vest for body weight exercises?

I have used one in the past but I haven't lately. I enjoyed using it for body weight exercises. I would go to the local park & use the "jungle gym" & climbing equipment for a workout. As you mentioned, pull ups, dips, reverse dips. i also did some stair running, really worked the legs & calves good.

I had to be careful though, with push ups; I have a nagging lower back injury that will manifest real quickly if I don't bend properly at the knees, & the extra weight from that vest just adds to that problem for me.

So you're working out with 100 extra pounds strapped on? That must be pretty brutal!

I have used them for dips, push-ups, pull/chin-ups. Weighted vests evenly distribute the weight for push-ups and I think they are more comfortable to wear for dips and pull-ups as opposed to having a dipping belt with BB plates dangling between my legs.

I don't know if brisk walking is considered to be a bodyweight exercise, but weighted vests are great for that to. I have a 20lb and a 40lb. The 20 easily fits over the 40.

Thanks for the input guys, I've been using:

50lbs "perfect" pushups 10-12 reps, 4 sets

20lbs pullups 5-6 reps, 4 sets

100lbs standing rows with perfect pullup bar 10-12 reps, 4 sets

100lbs reverse dips 10-12 reps, 4 sets

50lbs dips 12 reps, 4 sets

Weighted pull ups & dips are the cornerstones of my upper body work outs. I use a belt & weights though as I find the vests seem to irritate my back (I have a dodgy back anyway, so I'm sure most folks wouldn't have this problem). My belt is an Ironmind so it's completely bombproof.

One of my current training goals is to get a dip with my own bodyweight added. I'm currently 5kg off my goal (80kg added @ 85kg bodyweight) so hope to get there before too long provided I don't tear my arms out of their sockets trying

I do most of my work now on gymnastics rings. It makes pushing exercises a lot tougher & also seems to make pulling exercises more ergonomic.