Squat and deadlift vids

Zack

Here's a few of mine:

335 squat- I've been dieting for a month and a half, this would normally be cake but it's getting harder to put up, can't wait till i start eating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOe5LF-bxrM

365 deadlift- Was doing these for 8-10 reps with straps @ 365 before I started cutting. This was pretty poor and my form isn't really good either. I managed a 405 for a single after this with decent form, but it's really hard to do since under eating.. it really zaps strength. I was disappointed that I managed only two reps. Oh well, strength time will come soon. Winter approaches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7G9wqHFWic

Pay no mind to the fruity colors and bad music...corporate gyms.

Is that Crush Fitness or something like that?

I went to a gym with super wild colors in Knoxville, TN....I don't recall the name but it was something like "Crush" or Crunch or maybe something way different but wonder if it is the same chain...great gym, lots of cool equipment, big space, etc.

Glad to see the videos are on the way....buddy!

Is that Crush Fitness or something like that?

I went to a gym with super wild colors in Knoxville, TN....I don't recall the name but it was something like "Crush" or Crunch or maybe something way different but wonder if it is the same chain...great gym, lots of cool equipment, big space, etc.

Glad to see the videos are on the way....buddy!

Crush is close, The Rush is what it's called. I would rather go to a more hardcore gym, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. There's none around.

Awesome videos! I went to a Rush in NC and I liked it. It's similar to mine but with a hell of a lot more! the one I went to had a jacobs ladder, jealous! and I thought it was pretty cool that each machine was color coded for what bpdy part its for- at least for beginners.

Ahhh, I was close! I knew I wasn't correct, but knew I was in the ballpark

Yeah, I liked their area for medicine ball or kettlebell work, the area a lot of trainers work in and overall it was a very nice facility and they let me in for free while I was on tour

YB!

Great work, Zack!

Doesn't mean I'm going to cut you any slack, because I expect to see both those numbers go up even higher once you can start stuffing yourself again!

Was waiting for you to chime in.

Any tips on my deadlifts? I feel like my form is not great. I always thought it was fine until recording. My back's not rounded or anything, but it kind of seems like i'm not using enough quads, and that maybe my hips are rising too fast or something. Squat

I think is fine. That squat rep was pretty difficult and I held my form pretty well I think.

I full expect my squat to be > 350 pretty much as soon as I start eating. I'm pretty depleted these days.

On deadlifts, yeah, looks your hips are coming up too quick, looks like a romanian deadlift.

I done a quick google and found this http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1588392

The part where it says "Stiff legging" (4 vids up from the bottom)

Chest up!

Not sure how much advice I should be dishing out to guys lifting heavier than me lol.

Nice squat!

On deadlifts, yeah, looks your hips are coming up too quick, looks like a romanian deadlift.

I done a quick google and found this http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1588392

The part where it says "Stiff legging" (4 vids up from the bottom)

Chest up!

Not sure how much advice I should be dishing out to guys lifting heavier than me lol.

Nice squat!

Thanks man, even If I do lift more, I really look up to you, your form is always superb. I like romanian deadlifts more anyways, I used to just start from the top so getting used to pulling from the floor.

Definitely looking good in the clips, just a few things that I could suggest that Chewy didn't cover -

1. The squats are nice and deep, form is very good, it just seems that the tough spot is getting those hips to push up and extend right at the middle of the ascent to keep things flowing smoothly from start to finish. Lockout gets strong once you clear that mid-point, though, so it's just a small portion of the total ROM that could be worked on to really make the numbers jump quickly. Judging by your form, it looks like you've got some pretty long legs, which always can make it a bit tougher, particularly when going low-bar position. I know people here rip on partials a lot, but I will say, if you can identify about where your sticking point usually, is, make it a point to throw in some heavy partial squats that bottom out at that sticking point. So, for example, if you find that you start to hit a rough spot about 8" out from bottom, then try setting the pins in the rack at that point and spend some time working at that position. Either multiple low-rep sets (maybe 3-5 reps) with what you'd normally do for 1-2 reps max at full depth, or, singles with around 105-110% or so of your 1RM at full depth. Overloading the weak spot really helped me in the past, might be worth a try to see if it gets you to blast through a tough spot!

2. Again, those long legs are going to give you a different starting position in the DL than others will have. Like Chewy said, your hips are coming up a bit fast before the pull gets off the ground, so you'll want to try to get those hips locked into place so the pull can be as effective as possible. Longer-legged people will almost always have to have their butts higher up for a starting position that's effective (unless you're one of those lucky few who can practically squat the bar upward when starting low), so you are probably VERY close to your optimal start, but your mechanics will definitely change the setup from how someone with short legs and longer arms would pull. Keep everything tight so that you're already properly tensed for a pull that's as effective as possible, rather than having the hips too loose, where it lets the pull make your body change in response to the movement of the bar. I'm still having to re-learn this part myself, it's definitely what's keeping me from moving up faster in my numbers, but it's getting there!