What do you think about Keto Diet ?

AlexNLP

I am being curious about this Diet really. It's like the atkins went extreme Diet. 80% fat 20% Protein 0 Carbs.

Anybody tried it before going Vegan ?

I mean it's pretty much impossible on a Vegan menu. I am a big believer of a low fat Diets as I don't think so much fat is healthy for the body. But I am curious about the whole scientific part of keto Diet. They say once you are so low on carbs your body starting to use fat as fuel. That part I know. But using fat as fuel for the long run ?

I am not talking here about bodybuilders that just cut some amount of carbs before a competition.

I saw couple studies that took overweight people. On a low carb at the beginning they loose their fat fatser than on a low fat. But after couple months they stop or even gain some weight. Not to mention you need to use Vitamin supplements. While on a low fat they continue loosing more weight after half a year. Biology isn't really my discipline. But from a psychological point of a view I can understand it pretty well. I mean low carbs create serious lack while not enough replacement is being made. Also you need strong will power for such a Diet. Once the lack is even stronger it can overtake and you are back to point zero. No restriction of Calories is being made, no real long lasting change is being made. It's easy to confuse what kinda fat it's ok to eat and what kinda fat not.

On a low fat Vegan Diet you have no lack. And you can eat quite a lot as long as you stay away from processed foods.

Also I have my own experience with a low fat Diet. I wasn't eating too much fat or animal products before Going Vegan and no processed junk and I lost like 30lbs. When I went Vegan I started eating much more fruits and much more legumes and starchy foods. Still I lost some extra 4 lbs while training the same.

It didn't even take much effort just replacing foods.

It is against human nature. Our primary fuel is glycogen (carbohydrate). No glycogen = the body breaks down the amino acids into N-OH and C and uses the carbon. So on this diet you are breaking up muscle. (I don't know how it works on steroids but I guess the body won't be feeling very comfortable).

Why the keto diet works: because it's a shock for the body and it frantically burns everything to survive. It thinks it's dying.

Why the keto diet doesn't work: you lose 20 pounds (10 water, 5 muscle and 5 fat!). Then you stop the diet (because you cannot live on it long) and you put your 20 pounds back once the shock is over. But this time it's 10 water and 10 fat. Then people say 'I had no will to complete it, it's my fault'. No, it is not your fault, simply this diet is anti-human. It might work for dogs

Get enough glycogen (possibly from fruit), don't eat fat, you'll lose weight. Stop milk = top caseine = stop cellulite.

Hope this helps!

It is against human nature. Our primary fuel is glycogen (carbohydrate). No glycogen = the body breaks down the amino acids into N-OH and C and uses the carbon. So on this diet you are breaking up muscle. (I don't know how it works on steroids but I guess the body won't be feeling very comfortable).

Why the keto diet works: because it's a shock for the body and it frantically burns everything to survive. It thinks it's dying.

Why the keto diet doesn't work: you lose 20 pounds (10 water, 5 muscle and 5 fat!). Then you stop the diet (because you cannot live on it long) and you put your 20 pounds back once the shock is over. But this time it's 10 water and 10 fat. Then people say 'I had no will to complete it, it's my fault'. No, it is not your fault, simply this diet is anti-human. It might work for dogs

Get enough glycogen (possibly from fruit), don't eat fat, you'll lose weight. Stop milk = top caseine = stop cellulite.

Hope this helps!

lol that's exactly what I thought. Still was wondering maybe there is some point I am missing here. Since I saw couple so called fitness and bodybuilding "experts" that take this Diet seriously.

Just another example for the power marketing has.

it's a shock for the body....It thinks it's dying.

It doesn't just think it, sometimes it almost happens.

In my idiot youth, I tried all sorts of bizarre health lifestyles in search of the ultimate buzz. I don't mean a chemical buzz, just the buzz of feeling really good and strong. I've never taken anything stronger than scotch. I tried Atkins one summer for about a month. It really did feel just like starving: lightheadedness, weakness, a weirded-out, spacey feeling. My "spacey" turned into a dangerous brain fog. I started getting things very wrong, couldn't add numbers in my head, forgot where I lived several times, couldn't get to a client's address because I forgot how to get across town. Not a good state to be in in Denver, Colorado, at night. I would literally just sit and stare, even behind the wheel. I was so out of it, I wasn't able to comprehend that I was out of it. It was only after I had three fender benders, one right after the other, that I put two and two together. (It's hard to put two and two together when you can't even remember where you live.)

When I went back to eating carbs, it was like waking up out of a dream, almost like that feeling you get when you're finally well again after being really, really sick with a cold or the flu. You don't realize how "out" you were until you come back. I poked around online and found all sorts of similar reports from people on Atkins. They all had my blood type: A. Research on blood type diets led to ayurveda which led to vegetarianism which led to veganism. I recently became a 99% raw vegan. Never felt better.

I look back on that idiot period in my life and just shake my head. I chalk it all up to being a horrible learning experience, just like those two boyfriends, the dog-bite-to-the-face incident, and letting my father pick out my first truck. (sigh)

Baby Herc, much, much smarter

Edited by Baby Hercules

it's a shock for the body....It thinks it's dying.

It doesn't just think it, sometimes it almost happens.

In my idiot youth, I tried all sorts of bizarre health lifestyles in search of the ultimate buzz. I don't mean a chemical buzz, just the buzz of feeling really good and strong. I've never taken anything stronger than scotch. I tried Atkins one summer for about a month. It really did feel just like starving: lightheadedness, weakness, a weirded-out, spacey feeling. My "spacey" turned into a dangerous brain fog. I started getting things very wrong, couldn't add numbers in my head, forget where I lived several times, couldn't get to a client's address because I forgot how to get across town. Not a could state to be in Denver, Colorado, at night. I would literally just sit and stare, even behind the wheel. I was so out of it, I wasn't able to comprehend that I was out of it. It was only after I had three fender benders, one right after the other, that I put two and two together. (It's hard to put two and two together when you can't even remember where you live.)

When I went back to eating carbs, it was like waking up out of a dream, almost like that feeling you get when you're finally well again after being really, really sick with a cold or the flu. You don't realize how "out" you were until you come back. I poked around online and found all sorts of similar reports from people on Atkins. They all had my blood type: A. Research on blood type diets led to ayurveda which led to vegetarianism which led to veganism. I recently became a 99% raw vegan. Never felt better.

I look back on that idiot period in my life and just shake my head. I chalk it all up to being a horrible learning experience, just like those two boyfriends, the dog-bite-to-the-face incident, and letting my father pick out my first truck. (sigh)

Baby Herc, much, much smarter

That's quite an experience, at least it made you find veganism. I knew those low carb Diets aren't healthy way before even knowing about veganism. I had great results with low fat Diet even before going Vegan.

I am just amazed Atkins Diet is so popular. I saw that Atkins himself was like 6' and 195 lbs. And his fans say he wasn't skinny nor fat. It seems to me he was pretty much overweight.

I knew those low carb Diets aren't healthy way before even knowing about veganism.

Glad to hear you were so enlightened. But don't worry, you'll do something stupid sooner or later that you can tell a story and laugh about later in life. It makes us all interesting.

I had great results with low fat Diet even before going Vegan.

Not me! Every time I cut down fats, my body revolts. Every time I add them back, I drop weight and gain energy. We're all different.

I am just amazed Atkins Diet is so popular.

People just seem to LOVE having someone else tell them what to do. It's like there's this rampant and ubiquitous Personal Responsibility Allergy. A lifetime of listening to your own body and giving it what it's asking for, no matter what your age, is the perfect health plan. It's almost humorous how few people actually do this, though. Oh, well. Ignore them and live well, I guess.

Baby Herc

PS: Does NLP stand for Neuro-Linguistic Programming?

I knew those low carb Diets aren't healthy way before even knowing about veganism.

Glad to hear you were so enlightened. But don't worry, you'll do something stupid sooner or later that you can tell a story and laugh about later in life. It makes us all interesting.

Nah I did enough stupid things. It would take lots of time to list them all

Enlightenment doesn't happen by itself without the experience.

I had great results with low fat Diet even before going Vegan.

Not me! Every time I cut down fats, my body revolts. Every time I add them back, I drop weight and gain energy. We're all different.

Just curious, how much fat do you consume?

I am just amazed Atkins Diet is so popular.

People just seem to LOVE having someone else tell them what to do. It's like there's this rampant and ubiquitous Personal Responsibility Allergy. A lifetime of listening to your own body and giving it what it's asking for, no matter what your age, is the perfect health plan. It's almost humorous how few people actually do this, though. Oh, well. Ignore them and live well, I guess.

What can I say people got used to watching tv. And waiting for the next magic pill.

Baby Herc

Yes

I don't measure a freakin' thing. That's why I sleep so peacefully. I've learned to go by how I feel, by instinct. It's tricky at first because we've all had it hammered out of us but once you get the hang of it again, your life just opens up. No more worrying, comparing, taking score--just thriving. By the way, Whole Kernel Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is the food of the gods. It feels like liquid silk and tastes like fresh coconut macaroons. You gotta lick the spoon. http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/FPCOWHOLE14/FairTradeOrganicWholeVirginCoconutOil.htm

What can I say people got used to watching tv.

I gave my 25" away in 2006, just gave it away. Gave away my radio, too. I installed a DVD burner into my computer column and now I get all the stimulation I want from that and the internet, commercial-free. Commercials are mental MSG: weirdly tasty at first but killing you softly.

Yes

Sah-weet! Ever done tapping?

Baby Herc

I don't measure a freakin' thing. That's why I sleep so peacefully. I've learned to go by how I feel, by instinct. It's tricky at first because we've all had it hammered out of us but once you get the hang of it again, your life just opens up. No more worrying, comparing, taking score--just thriving. By the way, Whole Kernel Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is the food of the gods. It feels like liquid silk and tastes like fresh coconut macaroons. You gotta lick the spoon. http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/FPCOWHOLE14/FairTradeOrganicWholeVirginCoconutOil.htm

I can actually relate to that. I wasn't really measuring anything still getting good results.

I am mostly into running. Just lately decided to put on some upper body muscles. So I figured at least I should see how much Cal I get. Not really into being obsessed with Calorie counting. But I am open to both methods whatever works.

What can I say people got used to watching tv.

I gave my 25" away in 2006, just gave it away. Gave away my radio, too. I installed a DVD burner into my computer column and now I get all the stimulation I want from that and the internet, commercial-free. Commercials are mental MSG: weirdly tasty at first but killing you softly.

Same here no tv and I didn't watch it for couple good years. It puts you in a zombie state and pollutes our mind.

I don't even know whats these reality programs are all about.

Yes

Nope, its an EFT technique right ?

Baby Herc

Right. Very powerful, especially for the intense stuff. It'll take the edge off ANYTHING. Or add an edge, whatever you want. "The Promise of Energy Psychology" is a good one. http://books.google.com/books/about/The_promise_of_energy_psychology.html?id=ucrOqKNom-8C

Baby Herc

Right. Very powerful, especially for the intense stuff. It'll take the edge off ANYTHING. Or add an edge, whatever you want. "The Promise of Energy Psychology" is a good one. http://books.google.com/books/about/The_promise_of_energy_psychology.html?id=ucrOqKNom-8C

Baby Herc

I am less familiar with EFT. It sounds interesting though.

• 5 years later...
I am being curious about this Diet really. It's like the atkins went extreme Diet. 80% fat 20% Protein 0 Carbs.

Anybody tried it before going Vegan ?

I mean it's pretty much impossible on a Vegan menu. I am a big believer of a low fat Diets as I don't think so much fat is healthy for the body. But I am curious about the whole scientific part of keto Diet. They say once you are so low on carbs your body starting to use fat as fuel. That part I know. But using fat as fuel for the long run ?

I am not talking here about bodybuilders that just cut some amount of carbs before a competition.

I saw couple studies that took overweight people. On a low carb at the beginning they loose their fat fatser than on a low fat. But after couple months they stop or even gain some weight. Not to mention you need to use Vitamin supplements. While on a low fat they continue loosing more weight after half a year. Biology isn't really my discipline. But from a psychological point of a view I can understand it pretty well. I mean low carbs create serious lack while not enough replacement is being made. Also you need strong will power for such a Diet. Once the lack is even stronger it can overtake and you are back to point zero. No restriction of Calories is being made, no real long lasting change is being made. It's easy to confuse what kinda fat it's ok to eat and what kinda fat not.

On a low fat Vegan Diet you have no lack. And you can eat quite a lot as long as you stay away from processed foods.

Also I have my own experience with a low fat Diet. I wasn't eating too much fat or animal products before Going Vegan and no processed junk and I lost like 30lbs. When I went Vegan I started eating much more fruits and much more legumes and starchy foods. Still I lost some extra 4 lbs while training the same.

It didn't even take much effort just replacing foods.

Low-carbs is one of the biggest concerns my wife and I had about this diet. In fact, when I did it previously I would eat nearly no carbs most of the time. Dr. Atkins stressed using fiber supplements which I never did because of the taste, etc.. This time around with the abundance of high-fiber, low-carb meal/flour out there, I am getting at least as much if not more carbs than I was getting before starting the diet.