CCor's workout journal

CCor

Hi all

Most of my exercise is running but after looking at this forum i have been inspired to start doing more strength exercises so we will see how we go.

This is what i have done so far this year:

Sun

Jan 1: 5km trail run

2nd: 5km trail run

3rd:am swim 500m warm up with finns, 1km freestyle, 500m kicking/ pm 8k run with my dog Thea

4th:Sprints 4x800m, 4x400m,4x100m (5.2km)

5th: Swim 1.5km freestyle

6th:Yoga/stretching

7th:6k run with Thea

week1 totals: 29.2km run, 3.5k swim

8th:am 5k run/ pm Sit ups 3x30, pull ups 3x8, push ups 3x20, dumbbell curls 3x15 (12kg) dumbbell lunges 3x15, calf raises 3x20, dips (body weight) 3x15

9th: 10km with Thea

10th: 5km

11th: 8km

12th: 8km

13th:Zip

14th:8km

Week2 totals 39km +1strength workout

15th: 10k hill trail run- drove home then 8k with Thea (18km)

16th 6km @lunch

As you can see I don't lift much weight but i hope to change that a bit this year. I have a 2 year old, a 6day a week job and I'm studying of a night so almost all my workouts need to be before work. Thankfully my work is very physical so Im not super skinny (78kg,171pounds) definitely not buff though. I look forward to posting more on this site, hopefully an online journal will hold me more accountable.

Im happy to receive advice from anyone!

All the best

Nice work!

Glad to see you have a journal going here. Wishing you all the best.

Great photo by the way!

Thanks Robert!

Hopefully posting my workouts will push me a little bit more.

Thanks, the photo is of my son Noah when he was about two weeks old. He is almost two years old now!

Edited by CCor

16th:

So last night after i posted my initial workouts for the year i was excited to do some more strength.

I managed: 3x20 push ups, 3x8 wide grip chins,3x15 dips, 3x30calf raises, 3x30 sit ups. Unfortunately this had me beat when i was finished! The good thing is that there is plenty of room for improvement!

17th: 12km run.

This was more of a recovery run more than anything. after the weekends hilly 10k my quads are shot from running down hill. Its been a long time since i have ran through mountains and i forgot about taking it easy on the downhills.It was a very hard run for me. Now I'm paying for it! My quads and joints are very tender.

Sprints tomorrow morning...

Cool an Aussie on here. I just visited for the first time last March. I had a great time. I'm going to look up where Canberra is on a map. This forum is so international its great.

-Dylan

Hey Dylan

Canberra is between Sydney and Melbourne. Its the Capital of Australia but its not like other capital cities. We have no high rise buildings and our traffic never gets to congested! Parliament house would be the only thing worth checking out.

Where di you go when you visited?

• 1 month later...

So i started the online training journal with good intensions but life got in the way. I have had a super stressful last few weeks and just haven’t had the composure to sit in front of a computer for longer than a few minutes. But to take my mind of things i have been exercising like a maniac. Lots of gym sessions, swimming, running, yoga, boxing and even a spin class! I’m not going to go through my last few weeks of training but I’ll manage my journal better from now on. Exercise wise the last few weeks have been great. I have a lot of free time to get the work done.

Friday night I managed to get in a 22km run. My first decent run in months. This will now be my Friday night long run. Hopefully in two weeks I will be comfortable extending this to 32km’s. I am supposed to be training for a marathon and training for a fire brigade physical. I’m finding the challenge of building strength for the fire brigade and endurance for the marathon a challenge. The hardest part is trying to plan how sore my legs will be after a gym session to allow me to run again.

Saturday was a 6k recovery run and some yoga/stretching.

Today, Sunday was Gym

AM: Arms

Bar curls 20kg x 10reps x3sets

Reverse wrist curls 12.5kgx10rx3s

Wrist curls 27.5kgx10rx3s

Seated dumbbell triExt 15kgx10rx3s

Dumbbell shrugs 20kgx10rx3s (20kg each hand)

Barbell arm raises 15kgx10rx3s

Hammer curls 12.5kg each hand 10reps each hand then 8reps then 6reps each hand

O/H dumbbell press 7.5kgx10rx3s

PM: 6k run

See you tomorrow!

On Monday I went to the gym before work. The (M) is when I use a machine and not free weights.

After the dead lifts my hamstrings were killing me. I have such weak hamstrings for someone who runs all the time. My chest press was also off a bit. The machine I was using was starting from super low and i was having trouble starting off the lift.

AM

Back/chest/Abbs

One arm dumbbell rows 15kgx10x3set

Upright row 22.5kgx10x3sets

Dead lifts 20kgx10x1set, 30kgx10x2sets

Barbell twists 15kgx20x3sets

Chest press (M) 20kgx10x1rep, 37kgx10x1rep, 30x10x1rep

Incline Dumbbell press (M) 30kgx10x2sets, 30kgx6x1set

Assisted chin ups (M) 40kgx10x3sets

Crunches (M) 35kgx12x3sets

8km run in the afternoon

On Tuesday I was to busy to get to the gym but managed a 7k run in the afternoon.

Wednesday was arms. The gym was so packed in the afternoon because of all the rain we have been having. My workout was horrid. All the free weights were taken and people were circling the machines like hungry hyenas. Almost every dreadmill was taken except for the really old ones that creek and clink when you’re on them. I don’t like running on treadmills but when it is bucketing down rain I would much prefer to run in a gym.

Bicep (M) 20kgx10, 25x10,25x10

Tri(M) 20kgx10,25x10,25x10

Incline chest Press (M) 40kgx10,50x10,50x8

Wrist curls 27kgx20,27x12,27x10

Bicep (M) 25kgx10x3sets

Incline chest (M) 30kgx12, 40x12, 45x8

Tri (M) 25kgx10x3sets

6km run on the treadmill

Thursday (today)

12km on the treadmill. The rain is not slowing down so I’ll take what I can get. It was actually more fun than I thought it would be. Lots of interesting people to look at and the machines have an interactive screen on them where you can change your interactive workout. You can be running around a track, up a mountain or on a trail. I think this is kind of funny, why drive to a gym to run on a treadmill and pretend you’re on a trail? O’well each to their own. One thing I noticed is that I can push myself a bit harder on a tread mill. Because you have exact figures in front of you like speed and distance I find i keep trying to push the pace harder. So every 10mins I will turn the speed up.5k after a while im running much faster than I normally would. As much as I like running on trails i think treadmills might now be an important part of my training.

Going to do some free weights at home tonight if I get the time. I don’t want to go back to the gym again. Only because I think I would look funny going to the same gym twice in a 4 hour period.

Hope everyone is training well.