Rippedveg's Training Journal

Every couple weeks I get ravenous and start cheating on my diet. It's true...it starts slowly with a little bite here or there. Next thing I know I'm in the middle of two cheat days with not much intention of letting out. Slowly my brain gets back in gear. I'm in the middle of one of those now.

Spin this afternoon, mid-day. Small group lifting after Athlete's workout tonight.

Hang in there. We all go through it. My experience has been to get into the gym. A good workout puts me back on track.

Oh my gosh, thank you!

Quick post.

Monday's workout: barbell deadlifts--much better form now. Thanks, Dustin! I think that pelvic tilt explanation did it. Pull-ups, TRX row.

Today's workout: run w/ obstacles, oh press, any kind of pull. 4 sets. Some sets were lighter weight with more reps, some were heavier weight with lower reps. You know, they both were hard!

Then I spent a half hour on a stationary bike to train for cinderella.

Today was indoor cycle at Eden. I also offered to lead Sunday rides if we need any for Cinderella training. And I do need to go ride on Sunday if I'm going to be ready for a metric century by March 31. I think I may ask one of the women there to ride on Sunday anyway, because she's so enthusiastic and such a sweet person.

Met with an Arbonne consultant today. I know that there is a thread discussing their products on here and I'll read it before I make any decisions on their products. Glad that thread is there to help me!

Did well with my diet today. Getting back on track. I'm still not on my regular program but I'm back within my calorie range.

I'm also working on changing my protein sources. I need a little tweaking. Like the consultant said, "It's progression, not perfection." I am one of those people who is always analyzing where I am and considering the next step.

An hour with small group tonight.

Dynamic warm up, including a fun new groin stretch (which is essential to me).

Forgot my sneakers. Worked out in socks.

On to the workout tonight:

Lat cable pull alternating with fast lunge X4

Kneeling OH press alternated with crunch w/weight X4

Single leg deadlift with weight (graduated amt of weight, fewer reps in each set) alternated with push up with rotation and leg lift.

Stretch.

Today's workout:

Dynamic warm up

Five minutes treadmill

Wall sits alternated with handstands x4

Treadmill intervals

Treadmill sled intervals (treadmill off, run)

60 minutes cycling to train for Cinderella

Also I had my first ever acupuncture today. That was really interesting.

I love my small group. I'm never one to recommend paying even more money to the gym but our group very quickly started to bond. We joke and cheer for each other. We challenge and push each other. We're making friends. I plan to start biking on Sundays with one of the women. I've not lived here long and making friends in the 'burbs is hard, especially if you're not a soccer mom. Not having a friend to bike with has reduced the amount that I ride outside (until I start biking up Diablo once a week).

Saturday small group=dynamic warmup.

Today we did descending ladders with increasing weights.

Pull-ups

Sumo high pulls (form is still a bit off)

Dead lift

side v-ups--25, 20, 15, 10

Had one less cup of coffee this morning than is customary. Worried I wouldn't be able to walk much longer this afternoon at Macworld after the missing caffeine and the dead lifts!

No recovery today. I have to train for Cinderella and, Spin instructor I may be, I hate to exercise indoors when I can move about outside. During the week if I can't get outside to ride, I'll train inside but today was a lovely day so I headed out with my bike, Lita. I put in a little over two hours and I'm glad that I did. I began to feel tired around 2 hours. I haven't decided whether I'll do the 65 or 90 mile option in Cinderella but I know this: I'll be out there for more than 2 hours. So I must continue to get in at least one long ride a week and it has to get longer each week. Today I probably only rode 30 miles. I have two months to train.

Whipped up a little "relish" tonight from lemon juice, radish greens, garlic, salt and white pepper. Just be careful with this one--radish is a diuretic. It's also a decongestant and clears the bronchial tubes.

Monday means spin, Athlete's Workout and a little small group time. Athlete's workout is a 45-minute class. Super happy to say that Dustin announced tonight that he and Scotty will share the class. Scotty leads the class in a cross-fit inspired 45-minute bout of body weight exercises. Dustin focuses on agility training. Every once in a while, Dustin throws in something fun (hand stands, hand stand push-ups). Scotty puts you throw the ringer every week. I am so excited to have the combination.

Tonight's workout, after Athlete's Workout:

One legged transverse lift alternated with weighted walking lunges X3 decreasing reps, increasing weight

Clapping push-up into regular push up

Squats into squat leaps

Low back stretch

Hamstring stretch

Fun lunch today. Made a little black bean dip with cilantro, lime juice, cayenne and other peppers. Delicious. I always eat my bean dips and humus without bread, just spoon it up.

Monday means spin, Athlete's Workout and a little small group time. Athlete's workout is a 45-minute class. Super happy to say that Dustin announced tonight that he and Scotty will share the class. Scotty leads the class in a cross-fit inspired 45-minute bout of body weight exercises. Dustin focuses on agility training. Every once in a while, Dustin throws in something fun (hand stands, hand stand push-ups). Scotty puts you throw the ringer every week. I am so excited to have the combination.

Tonight's workout, after Athlete's Workout:

One legged transverse lift alternated with weighted walking lunges X3 decreasing reps, increasing weight

Clapping push-up into regular push up

Squats into squat leaps

Low back stretch

Hamstring stretch

Fun lunch today. Made a little black bean dip with cilantro, lime juice, cayenne and other peppers. Delicious. I always eat my bean dips and humus without bread, just spoon it up.

I'm bummed, I just saw your journal for the first time just now. You've been so consistent and motivated, and if I'd noticed before now, I would have been cheering you on all month!

Anyway, you've just done so awesome(ly?), and you should be proud! Like Robert said, this forum is for all kinds of people, so don't feel out of place. That being said, I do love to read that you've been slowly transitioning to a vegan diet anyhow. Hehe!

Great job on your journal, and keep up the awesome work!!

All the best!

Karen

31 Days of January!

I came to this site via invitation to join the 12 Days of Vegan on Twitter from Robert. Why not, I thought. Part of the challenge was to write five posts a week during January. It's just a month, I thought. It's been a fast month!

As part of my personal challenge, I chose to give up my morning egg during the month of January. I gave it up 6 days a week. It was a learning process. I had to replace that protein. I flirted briefly with protein drinks (I eat whole foods) in a panic after I read an article about soy. I found the article via a discussion on Vegan Bodybuilding.

Although I typically eat organic, I wasn't eating organic soy. I am now because of this site and the aforementioned article. I am also decreasing my soy intake, again because of that article (better safe than sorry). This means that with or without that morning egg, I am looking at my diet again and re-configuring my protein sources.

I've been vegetarian for more than 20 years. I know about protein but I had fallen into the easy soy trap. I also ate nuts and mushrooms but I mainly relied on soy. I lost ~27 pounds in approximately 18 months (hit my goal once, summer interfered, had to readjust). I know how to eat a veggie-filled, balanced diet with sufficient protein. But sometimes you have to take a second look, sometimes you have to tweak, make a progression, change.

I've heard people who were raised in religious traditions that require periodic fasting/personal sacrifice/lent say that giving an object up for a time causes you to meditate on that object, what it means, how it comes to you. By mid-month, I did think about the chickens who produce my eggs, the woman who feeds and cares for the chickens, collects the eggs, cleans them, puts them in bright green cartons with a hand-made pink label, ties the cartons together with raffia...I thought about the high school kid who sells eggs to me at the local Farmer's Market. In the Law of Attraction universe, other people started discussions about how animals are treated in factory farms (they don't even know me well enough to know I'm veg). I thought about gathering eggs when I was a kid (how awful the hen house was). I have spent a lot of time this month thinking about eggs and egg production.

I think in a similar vein this site prompted me to think about my protein and how I source it. Likely had I not come here, I wouldn't have made the tweaks to my diet that I've made. At times it set me back but in the long run, I'll find a way that works for me and will be in a better place. I'm already loving regular hummus and black bean dip. Also mushrooms taste delicious with the spinach or kale and peppers that eat each morning. Umami in the AM!

Am I leaving this site now that the challenge is done? No! There are some really nice people here and tons of helpful information. Plus this got me writing again, including to my blogs that were dead. Many net gains here this month. Thank you, Robert.

And today's workout

5 mins warm up treadmill

dynamic stretches

Run half mile

50 jump rope

40 squats

30 reverse crunches

20 supermans

10 Burpees with pushup

run quarter mile

Repeat the above set

Run half mile

I then tacked on a half hour on the exercise bike for Cinderella training.

And Dustin learned today that I can't jump rope. He finds my weaknesses. We work on them. The first time I did a session with Dustin a year and a half ago, I wouldn't even use a treadmill. It wasn't that I was in such poor condition. I had tried in the past and I couldn't do it. It was nearly that sitcom situation or I feared it would be. Dustin taught me how and now I regularly run on the treadmill (but I still would rather be outside!). Dustin has done a lot for me. More than he knows.

I'm bummed, I just saw your journal for the first time just now. You've been so consistent and motivated, and if I'd noticed before now, I would have been cheering you on all month!

Anyway, you've just done so awesome(ly?), and you should be proud! Like Robert said, this forum is for all kinds of people, so don't feel out of place. That being said, I do love to read that you've been slowly transitioning to a vegan diet anyhow. Hehe!

Great job on your journal, and keep up the awesome work!!

All the best!

Karen

Thank you so much! And truthfully, most of my adult life I've skated close to vegan. I've never commited to being there.

So good to be in a place with such great people!

I owe a couple posts!

Yesterday's small group didn't feel like an hour and I couldn't remember if Thursday sessions were a half hour or hour. I thought it was a half hour so I went to run on the treadmill. I use GymPact and I log in before the work out and after my shower. I was very confused as to how I'd been at the gym for 2.5 hours.

Yesterday's workout: Treadmill warm up, dynamic stretches,

Super set: dumb bell bench press, stability ball push up x3 increasing weights for the pressing, increasing reps for the ball

Super set: 2 hand kettlebell swing and one legged jump and donkey kick x3

Stretch

Today's workout: Stair climb warm up, dynamic stretch

Circuit: stair climb, treadmill, push, lat pull down, wood chop, rowing machine, crunches X3 increasing speed/weight, decreasing time.

Awesome dinner tonight: Curry chickpeas!

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/easy-chickpea-curry.htm

OMG...so busy lately. January has been crazed. I picked up an extra shift at the corporate gym where I teach. I changed my days in the professional job to accommodate the extra shift. When I finish the shift, I go teach cycle at the bike shop. I really worked hard to post here regularly for the 12 Days of Vegan. I attend small group training six days a week. My dog is recovering nicely from his TPLO and each week his walk gets a little longer. American bulldogs need at least one long walk a day. My guy takes several long walks a day.

Exciting news: I will start teaching a new class in mid-day at the Elite Training Center at the end of February. I'm pretty honored to work with them. Paul Rubio, the owner, is an amazing person.

Small group has become more intense. Dustin has found my hip imbalance. Tonight he spent extra time with me working on hip extension--doing it right with a pole to stop me from rounding my back.

Tonight's workout:

Agility warm up

Dynamic stretch

Alternating dumbbell bench press with stability ball roll out X3

Burn set of dumbbell bench press

Squat to OH Press alternated with stability ball tuck X3

Burn set of squat to OH Press

Kettlebell deadlift

1 set of 2 leg

1 set alternating 2 leg, R, L

1 set of five 2 leg, r, l

Stretch.

I tacked on 25 minutes on the bike for Cinderella training.

I've been eating a soup I made up. Simple: Daikon kimchi plus Korean pears. It's not authentic Korean but my husband I love this dish. Also can add barley. Slow cook it until the daikon melts in your mouth. This batch was really spicy and salty so I added coconut milk. I ate it for dinner all week. Tomorrow I'll have to cook again.

I think I found a ride partner for Sunday long rides. One of my students is interested in doing the long option of Cinderella so I might as well train with her.

Usually when I start to feel sick, I refuse to get sick. I'm sort of surprised but it seems to work. Of course, I don't get sick often and I eat a diet with tons spices with antimicrobial and healing effects from vinegar to turmeric to ginger to cinnamon. But last Friday I felt a bit sick, expected it to rain all weekend, knew that small group was scheduled off on Saturday and so I decided that if I had to get sick, now was the time.

It was chilly and rainy on Saturday morning. It was sort of nice on Sunday.

I'm still sick on Monday and had to miss a massive training day. I refuse to let this go on one more day. Must be well enough tomorrow to work out.

I guess I didn't meet the rules for 12 Days of Vegan. Oh well.

Last night's work out:

Dynamic stretch warm up

Run half mile

Jump rope 100x (hey, I noticed a slight improvement)

Squat 75X

Half Get-up 50X (25 per side)

Box jump 25X

Climb 25 floors on the stairmaster

Repeat the above

Run half mile

Feeling much better from the sore throat but right now I'm a touch nauseous. I refuse to be sick longer or to have additional symptoms. Not gonna do it.

Wednesday's workout was cycling at Eden.

Thursday's workout:

Warm up: Dynamic stretching & balance exercises

Chest press on stability ball alternated with plyometric pushups X3

Squat into oh press alternated with prisoner squat jumps X3

Dumbbell dead lift alternated with stability ball bridge with heel tuck x3

20 minutes cycling

In serious pain. Of the good kind.

Today my gym had a ALS fundraiser. Members could join a workout for a donation. So I signed up to day a class that was team led by Dustin and Helen, a trainer who is so strong and so effective that other trainers hire her. She's a lot of reps with challenging weight in a short time. My husband would be interested in training with her and I have long been curious, because I've seen Scotty, a trainer I work with from time to time, after finishing a session with her.

So today I did regular small group with began with an agility warm up: light jog, skips, lateral shuffles, frankensteins, drum major steps, high knees, lunges w/ side stretch, backwards skips. From there it was squat to hamstring stretch (miserable but I need it), side planks with 5 pound weights and small circles over head and in front, then switched circular direction, side planks w/ 5 pound weight with wrist rotation overhead and in front, then side plank with 5 lb weight, hug, and reach overhead. Of to deadlifts, increasing weight & decreasing reps alternated with side cuts and leap. So I started with 65 pounds and 16 lifts and 24 cuts, 75 lbs and 12 lifts & 16 cuts, 100 lbs, 8 lifts and 8 cuts. Stretch. One hour.

The next hour started with more dynamic stretches. Then a few warm ups of the exercises to follow: dumbbell squat & clean, burpees, and kettlebell swings. Our pattern was 4 squat and clean (a complex exercise which challenges my timing), 8 burpees, and 12 swings. We went for 10 minutes I finished 8 reps, squeezing in my last swing as the buzzer rang. I used only a set of 12 pound dumbbells for the cleans and I used a 20 kg kettlebell. I did the most reps in the group.

There was a woman, Marsha, who turned 65 in the group. When I returned from reracking kettlebells, she said, "I don't want to watch you doing this routine."

I said, "I work out a lot."

"You blew through this."

"I have 21 years on you. You shouldn't compare yourself to me. It's not the same."

And that's the thing--we all have strengths and weaknesses. I'd love to be working at this level at 65. Hell, I'd love to be working at her level at 65. I mean, how many 65-year-old women do you know who do burpees and kettlebell swings? I know two.

There was also another spin/pilates/strength instructor in the group. Before we started. We know each other and she asked if I was starting on my second or third hour of exercise that day.

Little harder to write here as much as I was. Still training for Cinderella. Still taking small group. Next week I'm adding two indoor cycle plus strength classes. So I will have four classes until the end of March. I am doing a long Sunday ride with one of my cycle students to prep for Cinderella. She thinks she may possibly ride the 90-mile-challenge. Plus keeping my house clean, caring for my American bulldog, cooking (from scratch, whole foods), and having a relationship with my husband and writing my actual blog, listening to music and planning my classes!

• 3 weeks later...