Hello there!

Payne

Afternoon!

I'm new and I'm looking for some advice, so apologies if this is in the wrong place!

To start with, a little about myself! My name's Payne and I live in the UK and I'm vegetarian (but try and consume as littlle dairy as possible). I train muay thai/kickboxing a couple of times a week and then go to the gym a couple of times a week, time allowing as this is more to supplement my kickboxing. My kickboxing sessions are pretty intense so always consider this a very good work out. When I'm at the gym I tend to mainly focus on bench presses, squats and deadlifts. I'm starting to work on being able to do pull ups (this is this year's challenge) and then i usually do a three or a four set circuit with various different exercises. I have PT sessions once a month with a great trainer, but last night we started the new year by taking some measurements and doing some tests and from that it doesn't look like I eat enough.

A typical day food wise for me:

Breakfast: Bowl of oats, small handful or pumpkin seeds and a small handful of sultanas soaked over ngiht in soya milk.

Lunch: Medium to large jacket potato with beans (no spread). Medium sized apple.

Mid afternoon snack: medium sized apple.

Dinner: Scrambled egg (3 eggs) with soya milk on two slices of multigrain bread. Otherwise it's a few new potatoes, some veg and a quorn fillet or some variety.

I want to try and find a way to increase my calorie intake (should be consuming about 3,900 ideally) without eating a lot of crap. I'm going to up the amount of veg I eat in the evenings (the scrambled egg is usually after an evening gym session) and try and start snakcing a bit more through day on nuts.

I don't want to spend all my time counting calories and nutritional content (because I know that I'll start obsessing over it and I don't want that). I'm not interested in bulking up loads and being a body builder, but I want to make sure I'm eating enough to lose the fat I have and keep fit and healthy. I'm looking at starting to have a soy protein shake after training to stop the hunger after a good session.

I'm just a bit lost and overwhelmed by all of the information around. I don't want to spend my time calorie counting or tied to meal plans, etc. I like my three meals a day and they fit well with when i start feeling hungry, but I need ways to get more calories.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to have some smaller snacks in between meals. A protein shake here, a handful of almonds there, an energy bar... it all adds up. For the big meals, try adding little things that don't necesarily make the meal bigger, but up the calories. In the vegan world, the caloric powerhouse of choice may be nuts and seeds. I like using flax, chia and hempseeds and sneaking them into my meals for a caloric boost + a great source of omega 3s.

Robert lays out some solid meal plans here: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_samplenutritionprograms

It might be helpful to figure out exactly how many calories you are eating now, so you know what to add. I have been using http://www.myfitnesspal.com for years to track and plan my meals, and would suggest it as a tool to devise your eating plan.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips. I've used myfitnesspal on and off for the last couple of years or so and my current eating habits are pretty much in there already so I can have a look back at that and try and use that as a base to build on.

I'm going to start snacking again on nuts and I'm looking at a new protein shake, but I'm interested in looking at a pea protein or something instead as I do try to eat cleanly where possible.