VeganBeast training log

Gaia

No tanning. Had a nice downpour in the afternoon. I stood in the garage and listened to it come down softly at first, and then ending in a loud cacophony of noises. So cooling afterwards. . .

Back workout was awesome. I was doing OK with the weights, not quite back up to where I was, but close.

Hot weather this morning. Jogging is on the agenda, but am considering biking instead. I am going to try jogging first, but if I get to sweaty and overheated, then I will head back home and do some biking. I am suppose to get a new bike today. My biking partner has a 29er, and after seeing him go over the soil eroded interesection with ease, I decided I wanted one of those too. It is suppose to come today in the mail (ordered it from bikesdirect.com). I wonder if I will be able to out pedal him on the trails.

After Back is Biceps for my workout today in the afternoon.

A massage is on the agenda for tonight. I am going to go to one of those franchise places. I wonder if I will get reprimanded by their masseuse also - my usual bodyworker is married and has moved away. She received a good workout just trying to get the knots out of my quads.

Fun day.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siren went off during last night. Got up and open up the laptop to find out we had a thunderstorm warning. OK. I already had checked the lawn and the deck before I went to bed and was ready for the 70 mph winds and 1/4 inch hail. . . 2 loud firecracker proud thunders and several minutes of rain, with a 5 minute light show of lightening. Was not impressed by this thunderstorm when it finally reached my town. All I know now, is that it is a cool 60 something F degrees outside and am loving it (baking muffins as I post this, as I can feel good about turning on the oven when the AC is off).

My morning is slowly getting away from me from doing early morning cardio. A bike ride is on the agenda for today. I get to find out all the downed trees and shrubbery along the trail from the storm last night. If it stays nice and cool, with a breeze too!, then it won't be bad to be heading out so late. Now do I eat my muffin before? or shall I leave it for when I get back? . . .Cinnamon Apple Almond slivers with carrot slivers muffins are smelling up the whole house! Plus I was lazy and did not wash my bike shorts till this morning, and they are going around in the dryer. . . maybe just one before I leave.

Took yesterday off due to female stuff (so annoying!). Another reason why I would like to get my bodyfat way way down - make that go away.

Today I did not do morning cardio either. Slept in till mid-morning, because my body wanted too (plus I was up every 2 hours that night). With a little help from ibprofen, I was able to go to the gym this afternoon and do Delts (little core tightening, but not too much to bother my lower abdominal region too much). I also was able to push the weights back to where I left off last time (90lbs on the Smith Press machine doing Military Shoulder Press for 10 reps). Downing my protein shake made with Rice Milk right now, and then I will finish off my Coconut Milk Ice Cream (Cookie Dough) pint for my extra carb calories after working out so hard.

Thinking about doing either some yoga tonight or swimming in our lake (if I can take the seaweed tickling my legs as I swim overhead of their leaves that are reaching for the sunlight and able to grow to that height due to the neighbor's fertilizer runoff. . . sigh).

July 4th today. Started out trying out my new bike on a 25 mile trail loop that I usually do with a couple extra miles added for fun. I liked it alot! I have a bike called a 29er, and it went right over the soil eroded intersection at Curtis Rd without a problem. I took my time biking as my biking partner is still out for the whole week (on rest and corticosteriods to heal up his ripped tendon attached to the heel).

I plan to do some tanning and Legs at the gym today.

Favorite song of the morning was this one:

Been biking in the mornings. Quads have been so sore and fatigued since Leg day that I haven't been wanting to run in the morning at all these past 2 days. In fact my quad spasmed during the bike ride on the way back home (after 1 and 1/2 hour of biking pretty hard - partner is back and he pushed me hard today when I should have just backed off and coddle my quads. LOL!).

Luckily today is Triceps, and Chest day was good yesterday (I was able to do just a little bit more weight than last Chest workout). Ran out of creatine, and debating whether to go to the store and get some before I go workout today, or just to go without it and do it tomorrow (which I will need as it will be Back workout day). Tomorrow it is.

Looking at shows to do. I will go to the one that is 2 weeks from today, Michigan Natural NPC, just to see what is going on in the competitions here in Michigan. Someone told me that I would be perfect for Physique, so I will have to check out their poses and suits (and bling, bling stuff). There is 3 shows around here in September, so that is doable for me to get comp ready by then. And I see that 2 of them are National Qualifiers, and that Nationals is in October. So perfect timing. So time to get dieting down another 10 lbs away for Physique, or 20 lbs for BB. . . I guess I have a goal in mind now.

Hey Gaia! I went to a show last month here in the MO/KS area and wasn't impressed with what I saw. NPC and the figure could of passed for bikini and the bikini well they were just soft and extra jiggly Only a few were spot on. I really don't think the guys were even ready.

Today as I was jogging, my partner reminded me that I don't have a Physique model body (tall and lean) and that if I go up against them I might not place. I have a short and stocky type of body - made for bodybuilding. Plus I get so worked up when I think about wearing bling bling and high heels (not that I don't like to wear them. I just don't want to be judged on them. My muscles should be all that is judged). Thus my mental focus is going to be on getting ripped/dieting down to be in the BB part of the show. I do hope I have some competition. Last year there was only one female BB in the Michigan Natural. I will have to go up and talk to the female BB contestant(s) in the upcoming show and ask them about the other shows coming up in September.

Only 5 miles today jogging. I have Back today at the gym, and that always takes a huge toll on my energy, so I saved some energy up for the workout today. I also have a massage tonight (been a long time since I had one of those), and wonder if I will get reprimanded for all the knots in my quads. LOL. I will have to give an extra tip if she gets all of them out.

Thinking about starting a facebook page. I wanted to wait till I got my iPhone and take some selfies to post on it. I have about 8 weeks out. Had my green smoothie today so far. Oatmeal after my shower, and Gardein with brown rice before my workout. I have to get creatine before my workout too. I love how that kicks in after half an hour of working out (extra boost of energy when the caffeine is gone). Still going to push the weights today, and hopefully the massage will not hurt too bad.

Thank you C.O.!

It is the morning after the massage at night. She worked on my neck, shoulders, and back (especially around my shoulder blades). I woke up so sore! All I can think of is how soft my skin is! I bought an organic grapeseed massage oil, being that it is an oil that is not too thin that it slips right over the skin and my other massage therapist said she can't feel the muscles with that kind of oil (hard to get at the knots) and my other rose oil was way too heavy and I did not like how it left my skin feeling cold and clammy! Grapeseed oil is just right. Now, if I can just afford to get the $100 for a teeny tiny bottle of pure organic rose oil (http://www.alteyaorganics.com/roseoil.html) to pour into the grapeseed oil (and possibly carrot seed and pomegranate oil also: https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/catalog/aromatherapy/essential-oils) for anti-aging properties. It is just going to take me some time this morning to get going. Biking is on the agenda! And it is a cool overcast morning (threatening rain, but not really) and the birds are chirping incessantly this morning!

My Back was pushed to the limits yesterday. I was able to do a neutral grip Lat Pulldown with 180lbs for a set of 8 reps with a friend of mine's help. He helped me pull the bar down as far as possibly (by myself I could only get it down to where my elbow bent - 6 inches?) towards my chest, and then I struggled to eccentrically hold it steady as I let it go back up. On the 8th rep I was almost pulled from my seat, but I pushed down on the leg pad to hold me in place. It was wonderful to feel my back screaming to let the weight go!

Today is Biceps with some Chest put in to keep them stimulated for the week (I have been doing one body part a day, which makes me do the bodypart twice a week, but it is on the two ends of the week, and if I do not take a break day). So I will go really heavy on the Biceps, and then I do some stability ball or Bosu ball stuff with the Chest (push-ups or maybe Pullovers today - that way I can start to work the obliques and serratus anterior for the Side Chest pose and the Oblique pose - warming up to the Physique poses - just in case I have to go into that category for the show).

Does anybody else drink hot water (tea is good also, but it stains the teeth) in the morning to get a BM? Works for me pretty much all the time. Now with that out of the way, I can go for my 2 hour bike ride! See ya later vegan fitness enthusiasts!

WTF on the massage! My fingers all hurt, and my traps are so sore that Delts was a real no go on the heavy weights today. In fact, it has been 3 hours and right between my shoulder blades it feels like it is tight and contracted and very painful. So I am thinking, am I that out of wack with my muscles (one side being all knotted up, and the other too loose), aka imbalance, or did the massage therapist do a bad job? So how to proceed? Well, I will first let my muscles heal up correctly, so I will back off on the weights, and while lifting, keep all my alignment training from Anusara Yoga in focus as I execute the movements. Maybe some yoga poses for stretching out the neck/shoulder/upper back tie-ins. And some pycnogenol to keep the inflammation down and speed up healing. Then, I will get one more massage and see what happens.

Bummer. Tomorrow is Leg day, but they are not hurting, so it should be doable for heavy weights with the leg exercises. I did only 5 miles for morning cardio jogging today, and I will walk tomorrow morning to keep the Legs primed for heavy weights. Power Squats this time instead of Leg Press. My PB was 270lbs for 8 reps. Shall I go for 300lbs? and some glute machine exercises to help get more mass on the upper shelf of my butt (what else do the bikini girls do to get the perfected round butt for competitions?).

Leg day was awesome. I was too scared to try the 300lbs Power Squats, but I did do 270lbs for 10 reps instead of 8. I was scared that my lower back would not be able to handle the weight. I have a fear (from a previous accident of not putting up the safety catches on the Smith Rack, and as I tried to put the hooks into the Smith Rack, my shoulders bumped the bar back out of the hooks and I plummeted down the whole length of the Smith Rack with 270lbs on my back - I was thrown down the ground with my feet out in front of me and my back severely compressed) that nags at me. Which is good in a way, as it keeps me on my toes with a focus of safety in my mind.

Today was a light biking by myself this morning - well with music blasting in my right ear. I increased my weights while doing Chest today in the gym. Nice and quiet day in the gym on this Friday afternoon. Was able to do 200lbs on the Hammer Strength Incline Chest Press Machine for a solid 10 reps (as oppose to 8 short reps last time). I also caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror in the bathroom (nice lighting for muscle def in that room) and having eaten only rice as carbs for 2 days now, my veins were popping out here and there. Nice. Keeps me inspired to watch what I am putting into my body more closely in the next 8 weeks.

Laid out in the sun also: free tanning session. Sweet!

Saturday is the day I head out for the Paint Creek Trail and go the over 12 miles from Clarkston Rd to Tienken and back again (Lake Orion to Rochester to Lake Orion). I was stopped at the end of my driveway to talk to a fellow Polly Ann Trail user (the one I usually go on that is right near my house), and before I knew it, 30 minutes had passed! Eek. Yeah I was late already, and it was very hot and humid on my way back to the place where I parked the car. Needless to say I walked about a mile, and it was already after 11 AM by the time I got home for my morning shake. I took a shower and passed out on the bed - just not moving but not sleeping, as I am already having problems sleeping at night. I always do when I am dieting down - the metabolism just kicks in at night for some reason. I could blame the Lipo6 Unlimited, but that is not the case as I can sleep at noon, which is about 5 hours after I had taken the Lipo6 for my morning cardio, and before I take them a second time at 1 PM for the caffeine induced supplements which is needed to power thru a grueling weight workout.

Today was just Triceps, and I was able to use the caffeine to get over the fatigue from the jogging half marathon this morning. I was able to power down a Tricep Rope Pressdown of 130lbs for 8 reps for a PB. Couldn't match it on the Overhead Tricep Rope Extentions, but did a 120lbs for 8 reps. Needless to say I was fatigued by the time I did Dips, and those weren't so great. Maybe next time.

Tonight I walked around the subdivision block that is right next door to our acreage/house - 30 minutes. Weigh-in is tomorrow morning.

Last week I was 145lbs/18%bodyfat on my scale. Don't know if it is accurate, but I will just go with it going down week by week.

I am having an argument with my scale this morning. LOL! Really? and the usual WTF? can be heard. LOL! I am happy with the 141.4 lbs (4.2 lbs loss this week - almost back under 140 again), but then it spits out a 19% bodyfat/58% water weight. So I lost 4.2 lbs, but gained 1% bodyfat? Again, I can feel my abs beginning to be defined, so I am not going to believe that increase in bodyfat - not yet at least (I will change the battery first, and make sure that it is in optimal charging mode to zap thru my bodyfat in order for it to "read" me a statistical number for my bodyfat amount).

So on that note, I have taken my supps for the morning, and the rain looks like it has stopped and the sky is getting lighter, and a bike ride is on the agenda. Not so hungry this morning, so I take 1/2 glass of Acai berry juice for a quick releasing into the blood stream carb to fuel part of my bike ride. Now to see if my partner's foot can take a ride this morning - bothers me that I do everything in my power to keep from getting hurt and sick, and yet other people don't. . . . obsession anyone? Who me? Hahahahaha.

Is it cooler up in your neck of the woods? Temps and humidity are down here so I might actually get to enjoy a walk today with my pup. How is the back feeling? I am passed due on a massage and will be booking me one for next week. I know my back and shoulders are all tight and knotted up.

Much cooler. In fact, I switched up my workout routine starting today, and it looks like a bike ride in the afternoon might be on the agenda as it is cool outside/low humidity too! I high of 66 degree F for today, and 70 degrees for the rest of the week. Nice little rain in the wee morning hours helped the garden out alot too! I think the drought here in Michigan may be over - at least for this summer! Though August can be a rather dry and hot month, so we shall have to see.

Massage is next week on Monday again. My back is almost back to normal, one side is still hurting from the bodywork she did on that side. I am going to try again to make sure it was my back that was messed up, and not the fault of the massage therapist.

I am also changing my nickname as I no longer feel like a Beast lifting heavy weights, since I am trying to get ripped and the weight is going down both on me and the amount I can lift. Plus I feel like a Monster instead of a Beast lately.

I did 4 sets of 25 with light weights for Legs in the morning session, and tonight I will do Delts (Legs need more energy, so I worked them in the morning when my energy is the highest - as long as I do not do a long time of cardio like going running for 12 miles or so). Inspired to get ripped now. Muscles just need to be maintained, and bodyfat needs to vacate the premises. LOL!

• 3 months later...

Decided to be a VeganBeast instead of lil VeganMonstar. Just feel beastly with the weights. Though I still enjoy jogging/biking in the mornings for my "start the day off with the heart thumping" cardio.

On that note, I just finished my usual 5 mile jog on the trail. I feel blessed so far that it is November and there is no snow and ice all over the trail yet. I also biked yesterday, and it was still pleasant - though the toes get cold after the first 10 miles biking into the trail loop, and then head into the wind on the way back home.

Yesterday I did Chest, which surprising was hard to do since my Biceps were still sore from the day before. I always thought Triceps (which are on the agenda for today) were used mostly for Chest. I could really feel myself using my Biceps on the PecDeck/Chest Flye Machine. Had to focus on just squeezing the Pecs together as I brought the handles in front of me, and not man handle them together with the Biceps. Very interesting when you can feel pain from another muscle group than the one you are working on.

Trying to clean up my diet. I am really good during the morning and afternoon, but night time . . . yeah, that is when the Beast wants to eat! and it has decided lately that vegan treats are great! Especially when it is so easy to whip up a rustic pie crust and use the seasonal apples here in Michigan to fill it! Mmmmmm...streusel is what puts the calories over the top!

First snow of the season, that is sticking to the ground. It was a very cold 30 degree F bike ride on the trail this morning. I bundled up with a scarf as my extra insurance to stay warm, and it helped on the way back when my extremities went numb, but my head was nice and warm - a hat, scarf, and I decided to wrap it all up by putting my hoodie on over all that - had to let out the chin strap on the bike helmet though LOL!

Yesterday was Recovery Day, and I can see by the half dozen cookies left on the baking sheet this morning that I might have done some damage to my diet. . . but NOT! It was the day after Leg day, and I had been very good for days with my diet and working out/cardio. Still, the cookies were yummy. And the out to eat Thai Curry Noodles with Fried Tofu was awesome!

Back to my green spirulina laced cream of rice with cut up apple, protein powder, wheat germ oil, and peanut butter breakfast. Thought of quinoa again as a powerhouse protein grain for breakfast. Have to see if I have some in the pantry somewhere.

Winter is here, and I will have to do some shopping for thermal insulated training clothes. Do some girls with big quads/hamstrings have the same problem as me - the material between the thighs goes to shreds after one season of training? Ah, such is the side effect of a good Leg routine! Coupled with this obsession for running in the morning for cardio. Thus I am off to buy some winter running tights. (My bike shorts have been around for a couple of years now - the seat keeps the thighs apart just barely, so no shredded material there).

Breakfast done. Feet are now warm enough to not go into hyper pins and needles upon touching warm water from the shower head! So, hot water shower time! Thinking about a massage pretty soon. . . . muscles are not getting what they want from the hot water pelleting them with the shower head put on full force mode.

• 2 weeks later...

The snow finally broke here in Michigan (lower peninsula near the Detroit area)! Yeah! I can try out my thermal tights and go run! The rain from yesterday melted the snow, and it is wet on the ground (but I can handle the wet shoes . . . I hope). No sun for my morning run, but just to be out of the house! Shall I wear something bright so the deer hunters do not shoot me? Just waiting for my morning BM (as they took away the awesome porta potty that was at the turniing point on the trail, and the leaves are now gone also, so no trees for me) and then off I go. Stretch polartek fabric keep me warm! though 45 degrees F is fine for me!

Lovely run. 5 miles (plus a quarter mile to walk/warmup to the trail itself and back) in 1:02. I have gotten down to 54 minutes before, but there was still some ice on the trail, so I was careful as I ran, which may have slowed my pace. Whatever, it was nice to be outside!

Breakfast in front of me now. (I had a small 2 oz glass of 1/2 organic carrot juice and 1/2 acai berry juice before I ran - giving my bloodstream some nutrients and sugar to jump start, and then after the first ten minutes the glycogen stored was utilized to power my run). 1 cup oatmeal (dry), spirulina (1 teaspoon), 1 scoop of protein powder, wheat germ oil (1 Tablespoon), and 3/4 raw gala apple (I give a whole cheek to my huusband - just so he can have something raw to go along with his sugar crusted banana bread - made with real butter and milk, so vegetarian, but not vegan). I also popped down algae oil capsule (DHA/EPA supplement).

Morning supplements upon waking are resveratrol, grape seed extract, 7-Keto, and tonghat ali (the first 3 are for anti-aging: resveratrol-DNA repair, grape seed extract - inflammation, 7-Keto - DHEA without hormone side effects, and tonghat ali - frees up bound testerone).

Cream of Buckwheat is my choice for my breakfast grain today. And walnuts as my nut of choice (I bought some more at Whole Foods yesterday - Organic Nuts are always so pricey! and if you want the nut to be whole, even more pricey! Why would I want it whole? Cashews are for creamy soups, and still broken pieces are OK for stirfry. I guess if you want a pretty pecan pie, then whole pecans are warranted, but still, 19.99 for a lb!).

Gaining muscle mass. My Legs are still so sore, with 3 days ago I did a PB on the Leg Press! I put all 11 45lbs plates on each side (22 so far), and then attempted and succeeded to put 2 more 45lbs plates ontop of the platform! I was able to push out 8 reps in a short ROM-and my knee and sacral are still making themselves known that I microteared them! The morning cardio is low keyed, with hardly any resistance and just moving to get a sweat going - even my run yesterday was just a slow jog. I wanted to do 60 minutes on the elliptical, but I kept it at 30 minutes instead. Need to recover.

Today is Chest day, with the hope that I can get my body to the gym tonight to make up my Bicep workout for yesterday. If not, then I will roll Triceps and Biceps into an Arm day perhaps. Doing strict form, with my core engaged during all exercise movements is not really affecting my agonist/prime mover muscles, but all the synergistic ones: aka Biceps and Triceps. So after Back day, the trapezius between the shoulder blades hurt, and also my biceps for some reason: thus I did not do Biceps that next day. Going to have to do some intuitive training soon I think. If a muscle hurts, I need to give it time to recover, even though it is on my workout agenda, I am going to have to juggle body parts around to find out what works for me - too much work, I rather just follow someone else's plan, or even my own!

Leg day today, and usually no morning cardio. But the sun was shining, the wind was just a gentle breeze, and it was a balmy 28 degrees F, so I did a little morning jog of 3 miles on the Polly Ann Trail. It was enough to lift my spirits and make me face the day with a smile in my heart.

I quickly downed a protein shake in warm rice milk, took a shower, and had gluten-free pancakes (only 1 cup of mix - 2 large size pancakes) with a big slice of raw pineapple (cut into little bits to go with every bite of pancake). A supplement of algae oil and spirulina completed this mornings meal #1. Waiting for an hour or so (while doing my laundry and getting my gym outfit clean and dried and ready to wear today) to digest, and then I am off to do Legs. Did the awesome 24 45lbs plates on the Leg Press last time. Today I will switch up to do Sumo squats on the Smith Press with the safety hooks definitely in place for a heavy short ROM set. Leg Extensions, Leg curl, Bosu ball squats with dumbbells, and the Ab/Adductor machine. I am going also to incorporate the resistance band for some glute work taken from Fitness RX magazine featuring Justine Munro's amazing booty workout.

Legs are sore today, but I can not say no to 50 degree F outside, though no sunshine. Instead of running, I have decided to bike today, as there is no snow on the trail! I have yet to see what is on the trail, but I hope my toes do not freeze on the way back like last time! and with the much colder and more snow on the way tomorrow, my legs can rest up then.

Eating again. And what I mean by that is that I am eating to gain muscle mass. I am lifting very heavy, and doing all I can to have a fast recovery, to blast the muscle again!

This also means that bread and pasta are on the menu, within reason, and so is fruit and a slice of vegan pie, coconut ice dessert, and vegan cheesecake.

I am also sleeping as much as I can at night, and 20 minute power nap during the middle of the day - timing it so it is after eating lunch and the workout an hour or so afterwards.

I am pushing weights on machines, benches, barbells, and dumbbells. Trying to hit the prime mover body part first, and then the synergists/supporting muscles. Today I did Chest and used the Hammer Strength Machine to push the heavy weight really hard, and felt the micro-tears, and just for good measure I did two descending 25 rep sets with half the amount I was able to push heavy, with minimal rest between the 2 sets (it burned and I was pushing the last 10 reps with each breath I could exhale out with force, and the ROM became very limited - so basically till failure. I hope that my pecs are sore a day or two (they hardly ever get sore!!! bums me out, even though I keep lifting heavier and heavier).

Thus it time for me to get SWOLE! for the month of December. January will be time for dieting down for a contest in March.

I am having such fun eating and getting SWOLE. I do not even mind the little belly I seem to have made (it is not a flabby belly, but more like one that is distended from eating - except that I seem to have it all the time!).

200 lbs on the Lat Pulldown with a neutral grip (palms facing my head/ frontal plane), and it was a fight just to sit on the seat with the padded bar to hold my knees down. And yes, the ROM was short. I did 2 descending sets afterwards, at 105 for 25 reps with full ROM and a 1-second hold with the bar pulled down near my chest.

So as you can tell, today was Back day. I had a hard time with the Pressdown as I did Legs yesterday, and was able to repeat my 24 45lbs on the Leg Press for 8 reps! - so my quads hurt as the padded knee bar pressed into them. The quads did not hurt so much if I kept my feet together touching, which kept my knees closer together making just the less hurting inner quads touching the bar.

Waking up automatically now during the night. I am downing a scoop of protein powder made with hot water during this time - usually after 3 AM. Trying out a new regime of keeping my protein intake steady thru out the day and night for maximum recovery (spirulina also).

Going to have to decide if I want to do morning cardio tomorrow. I hope my quads/glutes are up for it. I shall limit it to the 3 mile trail loop if it is above 20 degree F, and no wind at all. I do not want to shock my body with the coldness, but I want to be able to get outside and jog on the trail.

Oops, I am posting this instead of drinking my protein powder shake made with rice milk, and the last 3 scoops of maltodextrin left in the tub. I must be doing OK with the carrot juice, acai berry juice, and BCAA with Glutamine workout drink to not feel hungry after that brutal workout. Now for dinner tonight . . stir fry yesterday, maybe pasta tonight?