The new anti-vegan pushback

mythil

A few years ago, when I became vegan I didn't see much comment about it other than the usual meat head comments that no one could really believe.

However, there seems (at least to me) to be a growing push back against veganism. For example, I was waiting in my Doctor's surgery a few days ago when I saw a magazine by "The Institute for Nutrition" with a big "Should we eat meat?" article advertised over the front cover. After reading it I was a bit shocked. It claimed that all vegans are sick, they lack vitamins A, B12 and "essential fats". They even claimed that people should eat animal fats because they are good for the brain.

Currently, the BBC are running a documentary about meat though they don't show how the meat industry affects the planet, it also doesn't show the health costs of meat or how the animals are treated in the meat and dairy industry. All it seems to say is "Stick to grass fed, "humane" meat sources"..

It seems like every day I wake up I will see or hear more and more pro meat and anti vegan propaganda without even looking for it. Some times you just wish you could reach over and.... smack someone >:|

I saw the new BBC Horizon episode (Should I Eat Meat? - The Big Health Dilemma) and I laughed so hard cause they sounded so sure of the crap they were regurgitating.

I feel your frustration however we're still in the transition where most people see the earth as flat. This will change and some of us will prove everybody wrong.

B12, B3 and tryptophan are the particulars to pay attention to.

The truth is that neither groups have the answer except the nonconformist.

my take....regardless of the reason (increased cost, more health conscious? doubful!) saw on news where meat sales were going down in the US.

So, animal ag probably hitting up the PR machine with random studies and articles on the benefits of eating meat, especially the more expensive grass-fed, organic stuff combined with targeted campaign on why NOT eating any meat will kill you...

Making a difference 1 encounter at a time...

#BOOM

We are being manipulated and lied to. Our governments meat industry (dairy, eggs, flesh) pay big money for the smear campaign and propegqnda.

No one will ever tell you a Vegan diet is identical to and can be even better than an omnivore diet amongst healthy individuals (think food quality and even when you go grass. Fed your meat can be tainted) . If you are eating dietary fat you will produce your own cholesterol through your bile salts as well as vitamin A, K, and D. Sulphured aminos, vitamins and minerals, dha/epa can all be find at equivalency in Vegan forms.

It's a giant lie and it's all bullshit. What a sad delusion.

what's new about it? it's just a continuing thing

the meat industry likes to market products

you make it sound like there's a conspiracy, the anti-vegan revolution, it's really just people liking meat, and i'm guessing that it's just as prevalent today as yesterday.

perhaps you just had certain things in your head which made you notice things, or just coincidentally encountered a few different things, "pushback" implies some sort of co-ordinated effort to exterminate vegans or something, it's just the usual deal

"It claimed that all vegans are sick, they lack vitamins A, B12 and "essential fats". They even claimed that people should eat animal fats because they are good for the brain."

what's wrong with that? it's perfectly correct

it's difficult for vegans to get vitamin b12, omega fatty acids, which are also good for the brain, seems pretty reasonable to me, it's just a fact of life that we have to deal with

what's new about it? it's just a continuing thing

the meat industry likes to market products

you make it sound like there's a conspiracy, the anti-vegan revolution, it's really just people liking meat, and i'm guessing that it's just as prevalent today as yesterday.

perhaps you just had certain things in your head which made you notice things, or just coincidentally encountered a few different things, "pushback" implies some sort of co-ordinated effort to exterminate vegans or something, it's just the usual deal

"It claimed that all vegans are sick, they lack vitamins A, B12 and "essential fats". They even claimed that people should eat animal fats because they are good for the brain."

what's wrong with that? it's perfectly correct

it's difficult for vegans to get vitamin b12, omega fatty acids, which are also good for the brain, seems pretty reasonable to me, it's just a fact of life that we have to deal with

Vitamin B12 is made by the body, fatty acids are easy to get. The magazine basically said "Vegans are all sick and have high death rates".. So you don't have a problem with that?

well, of course i do, i didnt comment on that part so my opinion i guess wasnt complete, if they are saying that, perhaps there are certain health issues related to a vegan diet they are focusing on, i'm sure the benefits outweigh the downsides for most people, but yeah.

Also, there is such a thing as b12 deficiency, certain fatty acids aren't easy to get as far as i know, i know things like flaxseed, chia, etc have certain parts of fatty acids, but lack in other parts (i'm not currently read up on it, i just take a capsule every day and not think about it lol)

b12 is made in the body, yes, but it's also made in other things bodies, so when people on an omniverous diet eat them, they get an extra source of b12, otherwise you may take a supplement to help with that

what magazine was this? i have a hard time believing they would say something so, i guess controversial, although they might be willing to since, veganism is somewhat of a niche diet.

well, of course i do, i didnt comment on that part so my opinion i guess wasnt complete, if they are saying that, perhaps there are certain health issues related to a vegan diet they are focusing on, i'm sure the benefits outweigh the downsides for most people, but yeah.

Also, there is such a thing as b12 deficiency, certain fatty acids aren't easy to get as far as i know, i know things like flaxseed, chia, etc have certain parts of fatty acids, but lack in other parts (i'm not currently read up on it, i just take a capsule every day and not think about it lol)

b12 is made in the body, yes, but it's also made in other things bodies, so when people on an omniverous diet eat them, they get an extra source of b12, otherwise you may take a supplement to help with that

what magazine was this? i have a hard time believing they would say something so, i guess controversial, although they might be willing to since, veganism is somewhat of a niche diet.

The Institute for Proper Nutrition (UK)'s Summer magazine.