Getting Serious about Getting Big

I've decided to do more accessories in higher rep schemes at the end of my 5x5 (really, 3x5?) lifts for the day. I had been doing some, but I'm going to do more. I'm going to get so fucking big. Weight stable at 135lbs. Pulled back from my intended 5x180lb squats and hit 5x175lbs to at least an inch below parallel instead, because I had to hit them last and my back was already a little tired from rows. I don't want to be dumb and throw myself out of the game on some pride shit, so I was smart about it. The reason I had to squat last was because once again there was someone pressing in the squat rack. I'm so sick of the bodybuilding gym, my motivation to get in there and just do work despite all the assholery around me is fueled by all these serious gains I've been makin lately. I want my own backyard gym so bad I can taste it.

Dumbell Bench Press

5x20lbs

5x25lbs

5x30lbs

5x35lbs

5x40lbs

Barbell Row

5x55lbs

5x75lbs

5x95lbs

5x105lbs

5x120lbs

Squats

10x45lbs

5x85lbs

5x110lbs

5x130lbs

5x155lbs

5x175lbs

Incline Fly

3x10x20lbs (superset with...)

Incline Hammer Curl

10x20lbs

2x10x15lbs

Hammer Curl

10x12lbs

12x10lbs

Trap Bar Shrugs

3x12x115lbs (superset with...)

Straight Arm Pulldown

3x15x64lbs

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I AM HUGE AND BEASTLY AND UNSTOPPABLE AND I WILL EAT ALL OF THE OREOS AND NOT CARE ABOUT MY BODYFAT ARRRRGH!!

(translation: I conquered the 5x240lb deadlift that I missed last week and now I will eat all of the things)

Deadlift

5x65lbs

5x155lbs

5x180lbs

5x210lbs

5x240lbs (vid at the bottom)

Incline Press (missed my last set completely, probably overexerted myself on DLs but I don't caaaare)

5x60lbs

5x70lbs

5x80lbs

1x95lbs

Squat

10x45lbs

5x95lbs

5x115lbs

5x135lbs

5x145lbs (added an extra 10lbs whoops not following the program but I'm gettin strong and I just wanted to)

OHP

8x55lbs

3x6x60lbs

Hammer Curls w/static holds in alternating arm

3x15x20lbs (superset with...)

Lateral Raise

3x10x15lbs

Crunch Machine

3x15x70lbs (superset with...)

Wide-grip Lat Pulldowns

3x10x72lbs

I feel like I've finally trained long enough that I feel exactly where this should be in my Lats, and I can really concentrate on hitting them. Felt really good to hit these at the end of a solid session today.

Edited by BeansNBroccoli

Haha yeah, weight droppin is the best kind of applause! This is one of the gyms at Northwestern, the one that caters more to bodybuilders and non-strength athletes. My powerlifting gym is closed for the summer It's a nice enough gym for what it is, but it seriously lacks in racks and benches and I dislike using plates with handles for deadlifts... but weights are weights and I'm still gonna pick em up! Really can't wait to be back in a more strength-focused atmosphere, though, I've seen enough 1/4rep squats in the past month to last me a lifetime.

Feelin so beastly lately. I like adding in some bodybuilding stuff at the end of my powerlifting for upper body. I feel pretty huge and awesome.

Also realized I probably haven't been eating enough and that's cause for some of my low energy the past week or two. Gotta get in more fuel!!!

Squats

5x95lbs

5x115lbs

5x135lbs

5x155lbs

4x180lbs (didn't get vid on these, but I felt like I broke lower than usual on my heavy set and I'm 100% pleased.)

8x135lbs

Dumbbell Bench

5x20lbs

5x25lbs

5x30lbs

5x35lbs

7x35lbs (tried and missed with 3x45lbs, but didn't want to completely miss my top set so I repped out 35 instead)

8x25lbs

Barbell Row

5x60lbs

5x75lbs

5x90lbs

5x105lbs

3x125lbs

8x90lbs

Weighted Hypers

3x12x25lbs (superset with...)

Barbell Curl

3x12x50lbs

One Arm Rope Pushdowns

3x12x24lbs (superset with...)

Decline Dumbbell Press

3x12x25lbs

Also, here is an aesthetics update, sittin solid at 136lbs and still 5'5" :

photo-1.JPG.4a4d2b1b9580b4ec2dc9b1b88db6b836.JPG

I am learning to smile when I flex ;)

Looking tough as hell! Shoulders and delts coming in nicely. Seems like no matter how much I eat I still feel fatigued - must eat more!

Nice work, BnB, getting strong!

Thanks guys! I'm really feeling the work pay off recently. Today I even worked in with a dude in the squat rack that had 5 inches and 60 lbs on me easy and I kept up with weights plant power!

Squats

10x45lbs

5x95lbs

5x115lbs

5x135lbs

5x155lbs

5x180lbs

Dumbbell Press

5x20lbs

5x25lbs

5x30lbs

5x35lbs

8x40lbs (pushed these as many as I could because I'm trying to hard to increase my pressing power, I figure it can't hurt)

Barbell Rows (I have come to absolutely love these. Who knew?)

5x65lbs

6x80lbs

5x95lbs

5x110lbs

5x125lbs

OHS (because why the hell not)

3x12x55lbs (superset with...)

Straight Arm Pulldown

3x12x72lbs

Incline Fly

3x12x20lbs (superset with..)

Incline Curl

3x12x15lbs

haha that's awesome! did you tell him you're vegan? I bet it would blow his mind!

Hah, I should've! I've gotta start wearing vegan propaganda to the gym to announce myself

Stuck with 5x240lbs for my deadlifts today, but I upped weight on the warm up sets. I wanna be smart about increasing my deadlift, I feel like I've got a form kink or two to work out still. This was my last gym session for the next week because I'm skippin town and headed to Long Island for some fun in the sun. Also, my girlfriend got officially accepted into the program that she wanted to be in in Gainsville, FL, so it looks like I'll be movin soon! Can't wait to get outta Chicago and go somewhere that I can have a backyard and a garden.

Deadlift

5x155lbs

5x185lbs

5x215lbs

5x240lbs

Incline Press

5x60lbs

5x70lbs

5x80lbs

5x90lbs

Squat

5x95lbs

5x115lbs

5x145lbs

5x145lbs

Hammer Curls

15x20lbs

2x10x25lbs (superset with...)

Lateral Raise

3x12x15lbs

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

3x12x72lbs (superset with...)

Crunch Machine

3x15x75lbs

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the gym today after two entire weeks off. Vacation was great, we spent a lot of time on the beach and reading and relaxing and having fun, but I really missed the grind. Lucky for me, I got to go back to my powerlifting gym today. Shoe-free lifestyle!

Deadlift

5x135lbs

5x175lbs

5x215lbs

3x250lbs

8x155lbs

Incline Press

5x60lbs

5x70lbs

5x75lbs

5x80lbs

Squat

5x95lbs

3x10x135lbs

Leg Press

3x12x300lbs (superset with...)

Dumbbell Curls w/static holds

3x12x20lbs

Rope Pushdown

3x12x76lbs (superset with...)

Wide-grip Lat Pulldown

3x12x80lbs

• 3 weeks later...

I'VE BEEN BODYBUILDING

In and out of the gym, and really busy. But I'm keeping active and gettin in whenever I can. I had every intention of going every single day this month until they closed down my powerlifting gym as well.. grr... another week until I can get back in.

Apparently University of Florida has a real sweet gym, should I find myself employed there. I went to Gainesville to drop off my partner and see the city a little last week and I love it, I can't wait to get down there. We've already got ourselves a little house and a lease secured, I'll be down officially in the beginning of October.

Anyway, still workin hard, but not a lot to post probably for the next month. I'm just going to do what I can and keep nutrition on point this month as much as possible, and get to work on my backyard gym immediately upon stepping foot in FL permanently

• 4 weeks later...

Hey how are you guys doing? Spent my birthday in Madison, which was absolutely amazing. Mother Fools, El Dorado Grill, Green Owl, Monty's Blue Plate, Willalby's, Roman Candle Pizza, One Barrel Brewing, New Glarus, dipping our toes in Monona, driving out to the middle of nowhere and just listening to the quiet, farmers' market, the capital building at night - all the stuff you probably grew up around, but totally new for us. It was AWESOME.

Hope you are well!

• 3 weeks later...

Are posts getting deleted? There are posts missing from my log and I think from others' logs as well.

Either way, getting back into the swing of things has been slow. This gym has a lot of closed days. I guess it's appropriate for the time being while I work on and save for my backyard setup, but it's less than ideal.

My deadlift strength has plummeted with 1.5 months off and it feels pretty shitty. I will fight my way back up, though.

Deadlift

5x135lbs

5x165lbs

5x190lbs

1x220lbs (shot for 5, couldn't even break it after the first. totally demoralizing.)

5x185lbs

Incline Press

8x45

8x55

8x65

8x75

5x80

Squat

5x75lbs

5x95lbs

2x5x115lbs

SLDLs

4x10x115lbs

Front Squats

4x10x95lbs

Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns

12x70lbs

3x12x80lbs

Lateral Raise

3x10x10lbs

10x5lbs (superset with...)

Alternating Curls

3x10x15lbs

10x10lbs

10x5lbs

I can't wait to just lift in my backyard ugh I don't like going to the gym but I love lifting, gotta find that compromise.

That's it, I've done it. I made an appointment with a guy trying to sell a home gym setup before moving for tonight, and it's everything that I want. 300lbs of plates + bar, adjustable bench (flat/incline), squat rack, lat pulldown and a leg curl, all in one piece of equipment. It may take some finagling to figure out how to modify my sessions when I don't have specific machines or dumbbells (for the moment, I'm sure I'll get some soon), but I think this is the best possible thing for me. Plus, the fact that I'm bringing home a gym has gotten my girlfriend excited and she wants to start lifting with me which I am really, really, really stoked about. This is the best news I've gotten about my fitness desires in a long time, and I'm really happy. I just hope the unit is as nice in person as it looks in the photos, and if it is, it's comin home with me tonight and I'll set it up for tomorrow's session. Cross your fingers for me!!

Wish you the best of luck

Thanks buddy!

Good to see you back! And, not going to lie, I'm pretty jealous about that setup - sounds freakin sweet!

Yeah, I'm really excited. Turns out I can't pick it up til Sunday, but I'm just going to take today and tomorrow to clean and get the space ready for it. I'll get some pictures up when it's home - it's bright yellow! Hopefully it's as good as it seems, if so, I'm all set!

Now, of course I'll need to get a tire for flips, and a sled for yard exercising, and all of the other fun home gym things but i'll all come in time

Well I posed a lengthy reply on Friday, but forgot to hit send, and when I got into work today it was gone. Anyhow, the short end of what I wanted to say was that I love the tire idea - that is awesome. I love the odd end fitness equipment. Have you ever worked with battle ropes? There's this company called Onnit that makes a handful of interesting fitness things, such as these: https://www.onnit.com/steelbells/ They have a bunch of supplements as well, but I'm pretty sure most of those are bullshit. But, the other stuff seems pretty cool.

Got in my first really solid session yesterday. I've been training my partner and getting her up to speed so that she can lift with me for the past week and a half since I got the home gym, so my ramp back up has been slow. It's worth it, though. I want her to be able to lift safely and comfortably with me and she's starting from almost zero so we're taking it easy. Yesterday she was tired and busy though so I got in a session while she was resting It felt great, I'm nice n sore today. Weights are approximate because I don't know the weight of my bar (I'm guessing ~4kg, it's a standard home gym bar and not an olympic bar), but I'm going to just go with what I've got and progress with 1kg weights and not worry too much about exact numbers for the time being. I'm hoping to add an olympic bar and plate set by Christmas, but mostly I'm just so happy to have heavy things to throw around at home.

Squats

5x60lb

5x95lb

5x130lb

5x5x165lb

Bench

5x45lb

5x55lb

5x5x70lb

Row

5x70lb

5x5x95lb

Shrug

3x8x95lb

French Press

3x8x40lb

Barbell Curls

3x8x54lb

SLDLs

2x10x97lb

Plate Side Bend

3x10x44lb (completely annihilated my grip, in the best way)

Hanging Crunch

3x8

• 2 weeks later...

Tryin to get up and hit it at 5:30am, because I'm just too tired by the end of the night to motivate myself through it. Got a whole bunch of mock meat from the local asian grocery this weekend, amazed I've never tried/heard of most of this stuff. Most importantly, I got some mock salmon (even with fake skin made out of seaweed, it looks amazing) for my birthday tomorrow. Also got canned mock roast duck, mock oysters, mock fish fillets that actually tasted legit like fish, these great little soy jerky packs, and I made myself homemade "lox," cashew cream cheese, mushroom pate, and a "cheese" log. It was a weekend of much food and much food prep, so I'm stoked for the week's eating to come.

Yesterday there wasn't a true gym workout, but I spent the day doing gardening and moving plants and heavy planters. My partner and I also dug out and bricked ourselves a new firepit, so I'm really excited to start cooking in there and just sitting around the fire at night. Maybe I'll even smoke my own tofu!!!

This morning looked like this:

Squats

4x5x170lbs

3x175lbs

Bench Press

5x75lbs

2x6x71lbs

7x67lbs

15x60lbs

Rows

5x5x85lbs (superset with...)

Shrugs

5x10x85lbs

Svend Press

2x17.6lbsx30sec (trying this out for the first time, felt great, what a nice pump)

Planning to hit arms this afternoon/evening if I get a chance. I've been leaving out all of the bodybuilding stuff and focusing just on hitting my powerlifts in the morning. I've gotta grow these biceps, tho!!!