VeganBeast training log

Gaia

I had the most awesome Back workout yesterday: aka, I am sore! I think it was the Assisted Chin machine that I had not used before in this particular gym. The width of the bar to put my hands/straps on was different than the others, and it tweaked my back in ways I have not encountered before. Very nice. . . more muscles!

So yesterday was Stanley the StepMill/PowerMill time with 30 minutes on level 8 (HR shot up to 160 bpm! within 5 minutes). And even though it is Leg day, I want to just get outside for a quick 5 mile trail jog. There is no snow, but it is below 20 degrees out there right now. . . why can't I just wait for it to reach 30 degrees in an hour and half? What is this urge to go NOW just after I woke up and the sun is shining (the birds have returned too, so there is alot of wooing and cooing going on this morning ). My OCD I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stormy spring weather all this week - would I rather have the snow than all this rain? Maybe. Did Stanley the PowerMill yesterday at the gym while listening to the rain hit the ceiling/roof of the gym very loudly.

Looked over some of my old posts and realized that I am still hanging around 150 lbs mark, and that was back at the end of January. . . . going to have to rethink about losing weight strategies.

• 2 months later...

I am back on LiveStrong.com for MyPlate to keep track of my calories, and am trying my own personal cycle 2 calorie restriction days/1 day of overload calorie day (Cheat day basically, but with clean foods). This is such a time consuming task when dieting. Oh well, it will keep me focused on what I need to do to get my bodyfat down.

Another bummer note, my feet - pretty much where the foot comes into contact with the ground as I jog, so the ball of my foot and the toes - were starting to hurt to the point where I was going to be inconvenienced with pain WHILE jogging. So I thought about what I could do, and cutting wheat back out of my diet (the sprouted whole grain wheat bread/toast that I was having once or twice a day) was one option and so I applied it to my life. It is the fourth day now, and my feet are starting to get better. I am still jogging and biking as usual, and the only I changed was the wheat from my diet. Don't you just hate when something you love so much turns out to be a source of stimulating your immune system in a bad way, and will know that it is the cause. Argh!!!! And it is not a "I want to have this fresh out of the oven bread (that my hubby likes to make on the weekends for himself and the kids) and will exercise the extra calories off. Extra calories are not the problem. . . .

Today's morning cardio was trail jogging, and I kept the feet on the gravel part today (an extra thing I can do to keep my feet healing - no asphalt today) so it was 6 miles. I was a little sluggish as I had my overload calorie day yesterday (which on a mental note - blue corn tortilla chips are not good for a food that I can have on a clean diet, I bloated up so much that it hurt to sit down and put any pressure on my abdomen). I did not gain any weight from the extra calories yesterday. So now on to calorie restriction day, and hopefully I can lose some bodyfat now that my body is not in baseline metabolism (shutting down due to limited calories ALL the time).

Today at the gym is Delt and Bicep day. I am still doing a warm up weight, and medium weight to prime the movers to fire, and then one or two heavy sets to rip the muscle tissue, followed by 2 sets of light/medium weight to keep ripping the tissue (and get an awesome blood pump going).

I plan to keep a journal of this journey here. Please feel free to jump in and comment.

Woke up from a sound sleep. My body hasn't started to do that metabolic thing where I wake up after only 2 hours of sleep (like I took a long nap) and is ready for action. I do however do not need as much sleep compared to the conventional 8 hours.

Yesterday was suppose to be a calorie restriction day, but it was also Leg day. I was craving more calories last night and was deciding whether to give it some calories or not. I was looking around the kitchen to see if I could come up with some kind of food that would be appropriate. Decided to give it a sweet potato. It is now the next day, and my Legs are not that sore! I think I can do a light jog this morning on the trail without damaging my Legs in their repair process. So that aspect of giving it the extra calories was a good choice. I do not weigh myself till after cardio - which is yet to be done. I probably will not lose any weight yet . . . it will show up on the scale tomorrow, I wish !

Today's agenda bodypart to be worked at the gym is Chest. I am very happy with my chest so far. Still shooting for a focus on the upper pecs (is this usual for a female BBer? I just say BBer, but I will probably be in the Physique category). So inclines will be utilized for Presses and Flyes. And I throw in Barbell Pullovers to work the Serratus with Chest.

Weigh in after cardio (only a 3 mile jog with a 2 mile walk - could feel my Legs starting to complain about how they are still in the repairing process and that the slight discomfort/little pain was my first warning): 152.0 (bf20,ww58). Thus I lost my half pound!

Doing very well Thank-you. Nice to see you posting on here again. I hope all is well with you and your family.

It is funny that you mention weekend. I am now not even in that frame of thinking anymore. I am thinking only of Calorie Overload days! or every fourth day.

Speaking of which, I am on Calorie Restriction day 3, and trying to get myself going. I put some music on, played around with my stuffed Minion Stuart (made me laugh as he flew thru the air and bounced off the ceiling - kind of like a chest press with a pillow while laying on the bed), and had my 4 oz antioxidant juice - 2 oz of carrot juice and 2 oz of acai berry juice. I am also taking a Lipo6X (caffeine) to get my metabolism stimulated and to make me feel like I am flying as I jog this morning (which happens when you are very sensitive to caffeine).

Delts are on the workout agenda for today. Kind of easy peasy for me to do delts, since they are not a huge prime mover group. I won't be dizzy upon standing like I do when I do Legs, or even Back lately.

I saw on VeganEssentials website that Daiya is now making Key Lime Cheezecake! OMG! I want that on my Calorie Overload day! The WholeFoods around here doesn't have it in yet (they don't have the strawberry one yet - though I just get the regular NewYork Cheezecake and put strawberries all over it as they are now in season here in Michigan).

I feel like I have lost half a pound last night (weigh myself after morning cardio). I woke up to go to the bathroom, and was able to go back to sleep, but could still feel a racing in my body. Metabolic overdrive. That is what I am striving for with this 3 calorie day restriction/1 calorie overload day cycle that I am currently trying out.

Under 150 lbs!

Got in from jogging 7 miles (more like 6 miles of jogging with 1 mile of walking/texting, LOL! ), and weighed in at 149.6. And then I found myself having to go to the bathroom - I joke about being the only person who can go for an hour long (or more) morning cardio, sweat up a storm, not drink any water, and still find myself having to relieve myself of extra water when I return, and then reweighed myself at 149.4! So I am going with the 149.4!

Yeah!!!

The concept for the calorie restriction/overload is you track your calories for a week. Find the average. Shave 1000 calories for 3 of the days in a row, then eat your average amount on the 4th day. The 3000 calories translates into a pound of fat lost, and the 4th day is to refuel your body back to normal, and hopefully your body will not start to shut down the metabolism in order to survive on the 1000 calorie deficit. And according to my research, you can only do this if your metabolism can support not gaining weight with a calorie count of over 2000 calories (otherwise you are already in metabolic shutdown mode). Mine was 2800 calories (with all my running and weight training) for my average. Thus, I go 3 days with 1800 calories, and then on the 4th day it is back up to 2800.

On that note, today is back to normal calorie day. And it is Leg day! It is going to be an epic weight training today! I am going to try and keep the food choices clean so I don't go into food coma mode. . . Daiya cheezecake it is! Plus I have some sweet potatoes that need to be eaten. . . perhaps I can eat them with pineapple? Yum!

Did my usual Acai berry/Carrot juice already this morning, and am off to do a casual bike ride (no strain as I have Legs today in the gym) this morning. It is a very cool morning here in Michigan today, but the sun is shining and will probably warm up by the time I get back in 2 hours. I had pancakes last time for my first meal on my first normal calorie day/calorie overload. Muffins this time?

I didn't keep track of what I ate yesterday. I just tried to keep the portions small as I ate so my stomach would not physically stretch out.

I started off with leftover pasta with tomato sauce, baby spinach, onions, and apple-sage vegan sausage (FieldRoast). Then it was raisin toast with EB and orange juice. I stopped after that, but then went to Whole Foods and got the Daiya new york style cheezecake, med container of raspberry beets and roasted Brussel sprouts, and the Gingerade Kombucha (in case my tummy starting hurting - which it did not).

Was sluggish thru my Leg workout (probably due to food coma of a PB and J right before heading to the gym to workout) and the gym was very busy and the guys were bummed that I took all the 45 lbs plates for the Leg Press/Sled. I just sat on the Leg Extension machine and kept doing set after set of the whole stack for 8, then 10, and then 12 reps.

Last night was a waking up after only an hour of sleeping/passing out drooling with my body racing, and again probably at 3 or 4 AM. Morning cardio of only a 3 mile jog with a 3 mile walk (got my first deer fly bite on my hand while trying to swoosh them away from my head), and I am still at 149 lbs (so no damage done yesterday. hopefully my body will continue to utilize its own bodyfat for fuel today and not shut down). Goal this week is 148lbs by Saturday, June 27, 2015.

Was able to keep the calories 200 below the 1800 allowed for the CRday1 (CR1) yesterday. I did not feel like eating at night. I had a good workout for my Chest, in which I headed over to the Anytime Fitness Gym in Troy, MI. I love the vibe there, and in the afternoon it is quiet. I proceeded to do my workout in peace and whatever equipment I needed at that moment was available for me - where you can do one set, walk around for the rest, and come back to the same equipment without someone using it or used it and messed with the settings. And I saw the older couple that I saw alot of during the winter when I would go to Troy to escape from my usual gym, and they looked awesome working out. Plus I saw some teenagers with their brightly colored hair (love it when someone is creative with their body - yeah I love tats and piercings too) and how they just play around with the equipment trying new things out. Love it there.

Flash forward to the morning. Woke up hungry and sore in spots. Good stretching session got rid of the soreness, and one Lipo6X (anhydrous caffeine) took the hunger away and woke me up. Time for my usual 2 oz of carrot juice/2 oz of acai berry juice morning introduction to some calories in form of fruit sugars (though not much in either one of them), another Lipo6X to get me really going, and then my 2 hour bike ride on the Polly Ann Trail. CR2 today, and lets see if I lose any weight today when I get back from the bike ride (which is when I usually weigh myself).

Bodypart at the gym is only Triceps today, with a set or two for Delts (doing Delts twice per weightlifting cycle because I want to keep them full and large as that is the trend in the competitions lately).

• 1 month later...

This has been a trying month this summer for me. I gave in yesterday again. This time it was Thai food (drunken noodles with tofu), quick bread, sprouted wheat toast with EB, and alot of grape juice, and when that was gone I made orange juice. My daughter laughed when she heard about all the horrible food choices of bingeing on yesterday, she told me that most people do more like cookies, cake, and my favorite tiramasu. I told I know, but that was all that was in the house (except Thai food) and I wouldn't let myself get in the car and go buy the things I wanted (part will power, part lazy - it is very hot and humid here in Michigan - finally the dog days of summer). The one good thing that comes from bingeing on so much carbs is the - TMI warning - BM I had this morning/the day after. It makes me mentally think of how much of the food I ate yesterday is now gone from me.

I am off to go and bike. It is a nice cool 65 F right now, but it will be a balmy 75 F when I get back in 2 hours. A nice breeze will be nice, and the trees in parts of the trail thru the woods is also cooling.

A part of me does not want to go though. I am getting to be bored with this bike ride in the morning. I am also in the mental mood that every workout lately is boring also. I think it is time to switch it up to do something different. I was thinking of doing dance, especially hip hop. . . . LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

Still bored with the bike ride and now the trail jogging. Funny though, I still get up and do it out of routine. Once I get out there and am doing it, and the endorphins kick in, I am happy as can be. It is only when I am not doing it, and only thinking about doing it, that it is boring. Which makes sense as I am bored not doing it.

I am also aware of how the light is not getting shorter and shorter, thus winter is coming - which means that cardio will either be in the freezing cold or inside the gym (yuck! treadmills and ellipticals).

So I am off to go and run. It is already 70 degrees this morning, so I will be sweating and a chafing rash is sure to follow. My Legs last night actually were hurting as I went to go lay down to go to sleep. About time they started to hurt! I thrashed them with weights on Wednesday, went for a 2 hour bike ride the next day, and now DOMS has finally come! Only twice has this happen all summer. My Legs recover fairly quickly, plus they bike ride is not really cardio as I do go slow and steady and just "use" the leg muscles - not pushing them to their limit while biking.

Today I am going to make my own seiten again. I haven't make it in a very long time because I usually end up just buying seiten stuff. But now there is so much extra "stuff" in with seiten that I am going to make plain seiten with only garlic and onion granules in it for flavoring. And I add nutritional yeast for the earthy flavor, and wheat bran to make the texture unique. I will also add some other grain flour (maybe tapioca flour for a smooth seiten or coconut flour for a grainy texture) to make sure the vital wheat gluten doesn't become fully rubberized once the liquid binds it. I then put it in a loaf looking shape, wrap it in cheesecloth and boil it for 2 to 3 hours in a veggie broth (turning it every 1/2 hour so it cooks evenly). Then I unwrap it, refrigerate it, and it is ready to be used for whatever I need it to be. Cubed for many stirfry entrees, or even a huge slab slice with avocado all over it (need some kind of oil/fat, as the seiten cooked this way has no fat added to it - unless I add it).

Well, off I go to go and run. Spinning Session episode 118 is on tap for my music for today. Last 2 episodes have been awesome. EDM producers are coming out with some new stuff lately that I really enjoy listening to. Very uplifting and inspirational. (Beginning of the summer is seemed to be all about unrequited love and breakups/relationships gone wrong). Favorite for this week is Opus by Eric Prydz:

(I listen to it at the beginning of a long downhill bike ride . . . it was awesome by the time I got to the end of the hill and was then using the momentum to go back up the next uphill part of the trail).

Interesting notes on the seitan recipe. I'll have to try adding in the different grain flours for texture. Never thought of that. I wish it were easy/safe to cycle here, but I think I'm going to get a water rower and stay inside for cardio. Cycling here (Chicago) can be really dangerous, and otherwise the atmosphere is just plan ugly; not to mention the poor air quality. Have a good weekend!

Seiten turned out very rubbery. Not enough grain flour to minimize the vital wheat gluten. I will just have to make sure I cut it up into very small pieces. Also way down in the dungeon (basement) there is a sausage grinder also - but I think I will be horrified to try and find it down there. I will have to add "clean up basement storage area" to my to do list. not fun.

Went for a lovely 7 mile jog on the Paint Creek Trail from Clarkston to Gallager Rd this morning. Was late getting out at 7:30 AM as the temp was already starting to rise. Yeah, I was sweaty when I got into my car to drive home - yes, I was ambitious enough this morning to drive somewhere to jog. I am trying to get out of the boring mind set of jogging on the trail that is just down the road from my house.

Today is making sushi and brown rice, to go for my lettuce wrap rolls. I do not have a sushi wrap roller, but parchment paper works just as good. I cut a piece, lay it flat on the counter. Spread out 4 romaine lettuce leaves, end to top in a rectangle shape, drizzle a little vinaigrette salad dressing (Whole Foods 365 Herbs de Provence), spread on the sushi rice first and go really wide, but still within one inch of the lettuce ends. Then a little brown rice (mostly for nutritional value) in the middle of this rectangle, and then slices of seiten, avocado, and usually shredded carrots over the brown rice. Pick a sauce to drizzle over the middle part (Thai peanut for today) and then roll it up by first putting the ends of the parchment paper together, look inside to readjust the lettuce leaves over the rice, and then put the parchment paper back together and basically squeeze and roll it together into a tube. wrap one end into a twist, and the other side cut to open and pull down to the roll as you eat it.

Back is on the agenda for tonight's workout at the gym. I shall do the usual pulldowns and rows, but am now putting emphasis on the traps of the middle and upper back. I want to have muscle there and not just my spine sticking out as I lean out more and more.

• 4 weeks later...

What a week it has been. I am follower of Dana Lynn Bailey, and to hear her facebook vid on why she wasn't going to be in the Olympia this weekend was sad, but at the same time the posts of her and Rob out traveling the US instead of last years post of her falling asleep before a workout 2 weeks out from the Olympia are heartwarming this time. The last photo of them posted made me realize that from my own experience traveling around the Western Coast of the US one summer with my husband (2 years into the marriage) resulted in starting a family. . . love and no stress makes for good fertile grounds. ^.^

And now to hear Kai Greene is not going to be in the Olympia. Though I am hoping that this is just a cry wolf stunt, and that he will show up for the athlete's meeting later on. Still, to see his resolve to keep to his responsibilities and realize that there is always next year, or the year after that. . . which he is SOOOO use to, inspires me. I am so use to waking up every morning and heading out the door for my morning cardio, with the intent of losing bodyfat, only to have the scale and pinch of the calipers not move the next day. I am in it for the long haul, and I guess I just keep moving forward. I also decided this week that I just like making muscles on my body, and using my body. I don't like to throw in that I am over 50 and can still jog 10 miles in the morning if I want to, or I can kick my ass pushing over 1000lbs on the leg press (like yesterday), because I don't feel like I have the usual 50 year old body. I guess I can make an analogy to the beautifully kept cars that we see during the Woodward Dream Cruise here in Michigan. Lovely old cars that are spectacular and well cared for, and they can still hum along on the road.

Well with that said, it is the day after Leg/Delt day (I am doing 2 bodyparts on a day, with a rest day in between - trying to figure out how to push it alittle bit more, but rest this body as it is feeling the affects of the morning cardio - which I won't give up, so I have to manipulate my weight training - only 1 more good month left before winter kicks in around here and I am not fond of jogging in 20 degree blizzard weather - though I do it, just not as much - and I am back to stepping on Stanley the StepMill again in the gym).

Seiten, or the teasing word of satan as some of my friends call it, is also called wheat meat, which I just can not like at all. I listened to the CEO and founder of Field Roast with his grain meat as he called it - "why does meat have to be strictly flesh? it can be a nicely textured grain also" was the comment that stuck in my head from his seminar about ten years ago. Sorry, meat to me is murdered animal flesh all cut up into tiny little parts and pieces.

Time for colors out on the trail for a casual 3 mile jog this morning, and a crisp 50 degree F! Lovely day so far . . . .

OK, it is now cold in the morning in Michigan: 46 degrees F. I get to wear my long running pants with the pocket for my iPhone on the sides of the legs - luv it because I do not have to strap the fanny pack around my waist. And I do not know what I did before my earbuds with bluetooth (just have to remember to charge it up at night as I use it for the 2 hour morning cardio and 2 hour workouts at night).

Decided to put my diet on pause for the year. I am going back to bulking. I am not pleased with the scale of 145 lbs, but my abs are flat (and the skin on my abs have started to fill out smoothly now that I am eating fat again). So I am lifting heavy. Eating reasonably. No cake and cookies ALL the time. Just after morning cardio or before working out at night - so they can go to use instead of filling up my adipose tissue (fat cells) again. I have 2 more months left of being able to be outside in the morning without fear of frostbite, so I am still keeping my morning cardio . . just because I love it. I am trying to balance it out by keeping 12 hours between cardio and lifting heavy, with eating to support my recovery - which is easy on a vegan diet full of veggies and fruit. Supplementing heavy with protein powder in chocolate almond milk also (YUM!!!).

Saw this and thought that this is so true, and easy to do when bulking! Not so much when dieting. . LOL!

http://i60.tinypic.com/15na9fl.jpg

• 1 month later...

This week I decided to stop fighting all the holiday treats and go with bulking up in the next 2 months. I will follow the culture this time and use it to my advantage. So I have been trying to eat more, bread and pasta are back on the menu, and the weights are progressing up, up, up! The only thing that I do that hinders my body from using everything to go to repair is my morning cardio. Like today is Leg and Delt day, and I am gearing up to go outside and jog. It is already November and the above 40 degree F outside means it is still warm to go jogging/biking. Today is jogging, but I will only go the one loop for 3 miles today. I go really slow (12 miles an hour) so it is just basically a walk outside. . . for an hour or a little bit less. It invigorates my day for me, so I will keep this up while the weather holds.

I have been warming up almond milk to put my vanilla protein powder into with a touch of cinnamon when I get back from my morning cardio, long hot shower, and then cook up pancakes and vegan breakfast sausages for real meal #1. Also I will have grapefruit. I think my body is craving Vitamin C, and maybe it needs it to processes all this food I am eating. (I also have orange juice on hand at all times so I can down a juice glass full whenever I crave it during the day). I will feel sleepy after eating sometimes, and will sit down on the couch and watch something on the moniter, so all my energy can go to digesting the food. Then in half an hour I am ready to get back at it (whatever I was doing before eating).

I will try and post my bulking techniques for the next 2 months, and then January is the getting lean stage - hopping on the New Year's Resolution band wagon with everyone else.

Well, I am just under 160 lbs already. I have gone up in weights by 5 lbs for the dumbells, and off the charts for my back and legs. I did a 360 lbs on the Smith Machine Power Squat! Now, the range of motion was short, and my glutes were sore, but so was my lower back (core muscles had a hard time stabilizing that squat, but they helped alot to keep the weight smoothly moving up and down).

I was working out at night, and coming home and downing a Rice Milk/Protein powder shake, and then going for dessert like donuts and cake. Maybe that is why I am already 160. LOL. Last night instead I had an everything I wanted protein powder induced oatmeal bowl. I added some coconut, agave, EB (the new olive oil type), and walnuts. Very delicious, and I went to bed easily (not all zooped up on sugar and fat).

I was doing 2 body parts every other day. Too taxing to my system, even with the day off in between. In fact, I really didn't like the rest days. Yesterday I was able to do 4 exercises for Chest, and tonight's it will be 4 exercises for Triceps (instead of 2 exercises for each Chest and Triceps during the one workout session: lasting 90 minutes).

Right now it is 60 degrees F outside and it is bike day. These are now starting to really tire me out for the day, but I have a limited amount of these bike rides left before winter comes swooping in and making me have to choose the spin bike. . . November in Michigan can be warm like today, but snow is inevitable by Thanksgiving. Thank goodness my Legs feel almost back to 100% since leg day was a week ago. . .

Well off I go.

• 4 weeks later...

Dedicated December my son has coined the term for the month of December starting tomorrow. I like to start on Mondays, so I decided to start today - and if I blunder by eating something yummy (like vegan pumpkin pie) then I will just say it was a trial run.

So far I jogged 5 miles this morning. I did Chest and Triceps heavy last night. Afterwards I had one serving of cream of rice hot cereal with 1 scoop of protein powder, and wheat germ oil. (why I do wheat germ oil is to provide squalene to my body to make into cholesterol, that can then be the building block of testosterone, and also just to help my skin with putting cholesterol into the cell membranes to keep them pliable/fluid - I am beginning to chafe too easily).

The scale said 162.6 this morning. So that is my starting weight for beginning to get lean for December.

I have had so many PBs for the month of November and thoroughly enjoyed watching the weights go up, up, up, while eating what I would consider Normal for me. I did not overeat like I did one off season where my weight soared up to 180 lbs, and I came in at 145 for contest weight and that was hard for my body to get back down to.

I plan to eat minimally again (rice, beans, tofu, veggies, yams, seiten) and it is my day off from lifting, so maybe I will just hop on an elliptical tonight as I watch the Monday line up of TV shows, or pump up to EDM on my playlist.

Favorite so far:

I did have leftover stuffing (three types of bread, EarthBalance, and walnuts - plus other veggies but those are OK for this eating plan) yesterday that would not be allowed anymore.

So here I go. Official weigh in this morning was 164.4 lbs.

My son reminded me that I have to go back to looking at all my macros. I am back to weighing my food, and writing it down. Tonight I will plug it into my Armstrong: MyPlate acct, and figure out my macros for the day. Since I am just starting back, I thought I would just eat a serving of whatever I am eating, and adjust accordingly as I go along.

So far I did only a 3 mile jog this morning (in the 45 degree F drizzle here in Michigan - it stopped pretty much thru my jog, but as I came up the driveway the drizzle began in earnest again) as I do not want to tire myself out for tonight's workout.

Now the trainer in me is suggesting supersets again, but the weighlifter in me is screaming to try and keep all my PBs that I made in November. So I am going to compromise. A warmup set first, then a 15 rep middle weight, and then try for the PB. After that, it is superset of 2 different exercises. Last time I did 4 sets of 25 rep supersets I hurt more overall then just doing heavy weights (with a nice 3-5 minute break by walking around the gym and letting the blood return thru out my whole body and not just the bodypart I just finished pushing the weights with). I am going to have to figure this out with my body thru trying something and observing the results and adjust accordingly.