Rossco's journal

Bench press was shit today.. Didn't feel very strong under the bar.

Bench press:

After warming up and stretching..

75Kg (165lb) x 5 reps

75Kg x 5 reps

75Kg x 5 reps

80Kg (176lbs) x 5 reps

90Kb (198lbs) x 2 reps

95Kg (209lbs) x 0 reps..

Assistance and hypertrophy.

Close grip bench press

50Kg (110lbs) x 20 reps

60Kg (132lbs) x 11 reps

60Kg x 10 reps

60Kg x 8 reps

Triceps were fried..

Tricep extensions,

With resistance bands 3 sets.

With 15Kg plate over head, 3 sets.

Lateral raise, drop set torture! X2 sets,

10Kg plates, then 5Kg plates, then 2.5Kg plates, then 1.25Kg plates and then resistance bands.

Finished off with pressing 2x 10kg plates overhead, didn't count reps.

I'm so unsatisifed with today, might hit deadlifts early tomorrow morning.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man... I had the worst nights sleep, woke up with DOMS almost all over..

But because I'm a goddam Viking I trained deadlifts outside in the rain totally fasted (coffee only)

After warming up and a little mobility work

90Kg (198lbs) x 8 reps

110Kg (242lbs) x 5 reps

110Kg x 5 reps

120Kg (264lbs) x 5 reps

120Kg x 5 reps

130Kg (286lbs) x 5 reps

Seeing stars at this point.

140Kg (308lbs) x 4 reps.

Desperately tried to get the 5th but I was hitching like mad and getting dizzy.

Called it off here, needed to eat.

Squats on Saturday hopefully

Oh man today was weird.. Being fairly ketogenic all the time is doing wonders for my body fat percentage but I'm noticing bad recovery rates and fatigue..

My hips had felt right for a couple of days so squatting today probably wasn't my brightest moment.. My lifts sucked too

Also.. After my warm up I put too much weight on one side of my squat stands and had them too close together as I was setting up,,, the barbell came off the end of the stand and smashed my patio.. cracked one of the tiles but luckily it's not noticeable... I just hope the missus doesn't see it aha.

SQUATS

117.5Kg (258lb) x 3 reps

117.5Kg x 2 reps..

117.5Kg x 2 reps

125Kg (275lbs) x 1 rep

Lost all confidence in today so did a few sets at 90Kg (198lbs) for 5 reps each.

Thought I would drop assistance for the day and do some benching..

BENCH PRESS:

60Kg (132lbs) x 8 reps

70Kg (154lbs) x 6 reps

80Kg (176lbs) x 3 reps

90Kg (198lbs) x 2 reps

Incline bench press

50Kg x 10 reps (110lbs)

50Kg x 10 reps

50Kg x 10 reps

50Kg x 10 reps

Took some time to really stretch out and do some mobility work

Whoa man, careful over there! Must have been quite a reaction when that happened, though I bet I'd have a little chuckle. Funny Rob should mention BCAAs as I started taking them as well, and found I'm not as fatigued as before. Otherwise man pretty good lifts up there!

Hey lads,

Use the BCAA's both pre and post, but even more importantly, take them with glucose (pre to improve prefromance as the high order fibers are glycolytic /post for to replenish glycogen stores and for to provoke an insulinogentic anabolic effect) or the body will just use the BCAA's to replenish the glycogen stores. I also take a pre workout loaded with creatine and caffeine. The whole combo has really done wonders for me. (Though my wife wants me to stop taking the preworkout at night, apparently I kick her in my sleep lol:)

Squat challenge!!!! I went on a hike/orienteering with the family yesterday so my legs weren't in the best shape haha..

After warming up with

50Kg / 110lbs, 3 sets x 6 reps

Bodyweight on the bar (85kg/187lbs) x 15 reps

50 rep challenge @ 40Kg/88lbs on the bar! 50 reps is ridiculous... Took me about 5 minutes with all the panting and wheezing in between reps haha

Finished with some overhead pressing, as I didn't get to do any assistance work for bench on Saturday.

40Kg / 88lbs 3 sets of 8 reps

Resistance band workout for shoulders

Lateral raises, presses, dislocates etc.

Haha I've actually not had DOMS at all :P really weird..

I had every intention of training deadlifts today, but I got an email confirming that my weight plates are arriving tomorrow... !!!!

So I'm decided to do a bit of hiit cardio and mobility work so I can hit deadlifts hard either tomorrow or at the weekend (we're supposed to get gale force winds and thunderstorms for next couple of days....) gotta love the British summer!

Anyways,

After warming up

I did sprinting on the spot, jump lunges, jump squats and planks, can't remember in which order.. And then did...

Everything was 30 seconds on and 30 seconds rest

Resistance band training:

-Shoulder presses

-tricep extensions

-bicep curls

-shoulder raises

-row/shrugs

All of this x2

Finished up with an 8 minute ab workout!

I'm so stoked to see what I'm capable of deadlifting, being on a caloric deficit is surely gonna hold me back but at least I can try!

Haha you got it, mostly because the rain cools and calms me down, also it means the neighbours stay in their houses instead of pottering in their gardens and distracting me,

Well today was very disappointing... Barely ate today was so busy, and I spent a good amount of time waiting for my weight plates to turn up.

By the time they got here I wasn't much in the mood to train but I was determined to force myself!

Hit up deadlifts to see what I was capable of....

After loads of warm ups

90kg x 8 reps

150Kg x 2 reps (330lbs)

182.5Kg (401.5lbs) x 0 big fail. Couldn't get it past my knees even with a hitch.

175Kg (385lbs) x 0.. Now I know I've lifted its before..

170Kg (374lbs) x 1, just barely but no hitching.

Tried 182.5Kg with straps and at that point I couldn't even budge it from the ground.

To conclude:

-Eating a caloric deficit/losing weight will effect your strength more than you think

-Limiting the number of carbs you eat (or any macro nutrient for that matter) will greatly effect your performance.

My last complaint/excuse is that my abs were sore as hell from yesterday which made it difficult to use my belt correctly.

Oh wells, nothing ventured! I'm not disheartened, once I'm down to a lean 80Kg-78Kg I'm gonna slowly bulk up and then il be hitting 190Kg and beyond!

You're crazy man! I wouldn't get too down on yourself for failing on the 400+lb deadlift attempt. One, that's a shitload of weight. Two, you had probably already depleted your stamina from doing a bunch of warmups. Maybe instead of performing the related exercise as a warmup, just do some cardio to ensure proper blood flow, followed by some light stretching in a similar motion to weed out any potential issues before loading. Also, does it make much sense to hit up 8 reps of a decent weight, and then 2 of a significant weight prior to your attempt at 1RM? Seems like the goal would be better served by simply attacking the 1RM first. Then, if you have anything left, go for strength building at lower weight/higher reps. Just a thought. Can imagine you lifting in the rain dude - quite a sight!

Yeah you may be right in regards to the warm ups, it's just that I get paranoid about warming up adequately on big lifts like that, I remember reading something by either Brandon Lilly or Eric Lillebridge, (cat remember who) that they knew of someone in their gym who deadlifted 75% of their max totally cold and tore a bicep, so I often overdo warming up.

Edited by vegan_rossco

Woke up today with more energy than I've had in a very long time! Good mood all day and good training session when I got home from work

Bench press!

(Had no spotter but had my 'spotter catchers' I dunno what else to call them ahha)

Warmed up shoulders and chest with dislocates (not literally) and arm circles holding weight plates

50Kg (110lbs) x 8 reps

60Kg (132lbs) x 8 reps

70Kg (154lbs) x 5 reps

80Kg (176lbs) x 3 reps (easily had a fourth but the bounce off my chest put it off balance)

80Kg x 4 reps

80Kg x 4 reps

85Kg (187lbs) x 2 reps

85Kg x 2 reps

85Kg x 2 reps (attempted a third but triceps were too fatigued to lock it out fully)

Had to rush out and buy a couple things but turned that into a 30 min power walk

Came back home for 5 rounds of kettle bell swings! Well, a 10Kg weight plate is kind of like a kettle bell..

30 seconds on, 30 seconds off.

Called the session off here as I had too much to do at home (still do) might get a chance to squat tomorrow and I get to refeed on carbs tomorrow night/not count calories... I'm gonna go beserk hahaha

Squatted yesterday but can't remember what I lifted....

Anyways, my carb up was amazing... Mostly chips hahaha

Benched today

Bench press

Light warm up and stretch and then

40Kg x 10 reps

70Kg (154lbs) x 5 reps

80Kg (176lbs) x 3 reps

80Kg x 3 reps

87.5Kg (192.5lbs) x 2 reps

87.5Kg x 2 reps

92.5Kg (203lbs) x 1 rep

92.5Kg x 1 rep

70Kg x 5 reps

70Kg x 5 reps

Did a bit of resistance band training but left it at that

Deadlifts!!

I took chris' advice and warmed up without much deadlifting prior to my big lifts!

Was feeling cocky and determined to hit a PB

182.5Kg (401lbs) x 1 rep!!! Was the worst looking thing I've ever seen and had a questionable lockout.. But I got there.

Wanted to see if I could hit 180Kg more comfortably

180Kg (396lbs) x 1 rep, still a terrible rep but at least now I know what I'm capable of!

150Kg (330lbs) x 2

150Kg x 2

130Kg (286lbs) x 4 reps

130Kg x 4 reps (sumo stance)

I liked doing full sumo deadlifts so I did a whole bunch of reps at 60Kg to get the form better

Pull ups

3x5 reps

Kettle bell swings

5 rounds, 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off with 10Kg plate (22lbs)