Fire Academy prep and food log

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ring dips plus weight sounds brutal. Something about the instability of rings makes the dips so much harder.

Yeah, everything on rings is harder but definitely worth it. Best equipment investment by far and they are the first items packed whenever I travel. Dips have always been one of my favorite exercises for chest and I recently did parallel bar dips with 135lbs x 3 reps and 90lbs x 11 reps. I feel that once you are strong enough at regular dips say like the ability to do sets of 30+ then moving on to the rings is best. Once the stabilizers are strong enough, that comes with practice over a few weeks, then ring exercises feel easier on the wrist and elbows.

9/12/15

5 rounds no rests

OHP 95x5

1:00 jump rope

Bent row 95x10

Front squat 95x5

Just testing out my metcon. I think it'll work. I used light weights since I had a heavyish workout yesterday. I was pretty sore this morning and hopefully I got the blood flowing good enough to help with recovery while getting some cardio in.

Today's food:

Mango and papaya. Didnt measure but I ate my fill

Smoothie: 1 banana, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup oats, 1 cup white beans, water

2 avocado and broccoli sprout sushi rolls.

Green Thai curry with bamboo shoots, red pepper, mushrooms over brown rice and 3/4 cup garbanzo beans.

Smoothie: banana, 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup garbanzo beans, 1 cup mango, 1 cup blueberries, cinnamon, water.

These last few days of packing it in have been really good. My muscles look full again and the needle on the bathroom scale has reversed and is going positive. All this time I thought it was the diet but apparently it was that I wasn't getting enough calories in to support my training. Hopefully my stomach agrees with the new addition of blended oats to the smoothies.

Ok now here is another issue. Beans and legumes. I love them but I can't eat them anymore. The gas I produce after eating them is constant even while sleeping and is driving my wife crazy. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Without beans and legumes how the heck do I hit my macros? Oh ya I'm not going to eat purified gluten either.

I'm not sure how to proceed

Tofu and soy beans don't seem to bother me at all, but that doesn't surprise me because I grew up eating tofu and fermented soybeans (Natto). All other beans and lentils do it.

I'm not supposed to have soy right now on my restricted diet, which I have been on for nearly 2 weeks. I'm doing it for 3 and I think soy will be the first t come back.

9/14/15

Smoothie: 1cup each of: mangos, blueberries, oats, spinach, orange juice. 3 tbsp peanut butter, water.

Workout:

Warmup - jumprope 20 min

Deadlift

225x3

295x3

365x3

415x1

435x1

Chins

BW + 50 x 6...DL took a bit outa me so I think I'll skip upper body pull today.

Ring push-up

BW+60lbs x 10,10,10,10,10...last set was hard RPE of 9-10 and a grinder

Post workout:

Smoothie- 1 banana, 1 cup each of (oats, blueberries, mango) 2 cups kale, 2 cups OJ, 2 tsp gelatinized maca, 2 tsp spirulina, 5g creatine, 1/2 cup soft tofu, water. I know I'm not supposed to have soy right now but my protein options are pretty limited without beans so f¥€|{ it.

Lunch: bowl of leftover curry

Snack: smoothie- same as above minus banana, maca and spirulina.

9/15/15

Smoothie: 1 cup each: oats, blueberries, mango, 2 cups kale, 2 cups OJ, water

Cardio = 3.5 hrs manual labor. Scrubbing wood siding

Smoothie: same as above plus 1/2 cup tofu, 1 tsp maca, 1 tsp spirulina

Lunch: 2 potatoes hash browned and topped with tofu veggie scramble. Used 1/2 block of tofu. Seasonings for scramble: 2 tsp nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp each: turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt to taste, hot sauce

Had a light dinner. Fried brown rice with veggies and tofu

9/16/15

AM: small smoothie and 2 servings oatmeal with walnuts, cherries, molasses

Training:

20 min jumprope. I am jumping on average 2 min straight before stopping for 10-15 sec and got up to 3 min a few times.

Chins

BW+50lbs x 8,8,7,7,7

Ring Dips

BW+50lbs x 8,8,7,7,7

Front Squat

155 x 5,5,5,5,5

Ring Tricep extension

BW x 12,12,12

Toes to bar

Jumprope x 10 min

PWO smoothie: 1/4 block tofu, 1 cup oats, 1 cup mango, 1 cup blueberries, 2 cups kale, 2 cup OJ, tbsp ground flax, water

The additions of jump roping and the added calories are making a big difference. I woke up today and could see the bottom row of abs and much more definition in my shoulders and chest. My weight is fluctuating still between 180-185 but I would feel more comfortable in the 185+ range. Maybe I can live with my current weight and continue to hone because I will be fast. One of the academy requirements is a sub 24 min 3 mile run and I would like to come in running it in around 20. I guess it's time to start the roadwork.

I'll post a progress pic soon

9/18/17

Transitioning training towards Academy. More endurance and metcon workouts. I love the workouts but hate losing weight. I'm also switching workout to first thing.

4:30 wake up

4:45. Handful of white rice. 3 scoops amino energy, 5g creatine in 24 oz water

5:00 Training:

10 min jump rope. I'm def less coordinated this early in the am plus my calves are sore from yesterday's run.

Circuit with 30 sec rests between exercises.

Pull ups - 10,10,10,10

Elevated ring pike push ups one leg elevated 6,6,6,6

Front Squat 155x5,5,5

Pull-ups - 10,8,8,8

Push-ups - 30,30,30,30

Front squat 155x5,5,5,5

Jumprope 10 min

Breakfast: large bowl of rice porridge with miso, tofu, and nori strips

60 min later

Smoothie: 1 cup each: oats, mango, blueberries, kale, OJ, 2 cups soy milk, tbsp flax, tsp maca and spirulina.

9/19/15

Turned 40 today. Was a chill uneventful day with a little house cleaning for some folks coming over later. I'm about to go out to eat with the family. We're going out for pho. Delicious.

Am 3 rice cracker with pb&j

Smoothie: 1 cup oats, 2 cups frozen fruits, 2 cups kale, 1/4 block tofu, 3 tbsp peanut butter, tbsp flax, OJ, soy milk.

Lunch. 2 Sandwiches with hummus, broccoli sprouts, avocadI

Training: I was going to take the day off but I like to take advantage when I know there is going to be excess calories.

15 min jump rope

DL 225 x 5, 315 x 5,6,7

Deadlift felt good

Dinner: pho noodles, lychee boba.

Time for cake and pie

9/19/15

Turned 40 today. Was a chill uneventful day with a little house cleaning for some folks coming over later. I'm about to go out to eat with the family. We're going out for pho. Delicious.

Am 3 rice cracker with pb&j

Smoothie: 1 cup oats, 2 cups frozen fruits, 2 cups kale, 1/4 block tofu, 3 tbsp peanut butter, tbsp flax, OJ, soy milk.

Lunch. 2 Sandwiches with hummus, broccoli sprouts, avocadI

Training: I was going to take the day off but I like to take advantage when I know there is going to be excess calories.

15 min jump rope

DL 225 x 5, 315 x 5,6,7

Deadlift felt good

Dinner: pho noodles, lychee boba.

Time for cake and pie

Happy Birthday dude!

9/21/15

Food is the same/similar as previous days. Hitting 3500+ calories per day

Training:

24 min jumprope. My calves are sore and it seems like my coordination has taken a turn for the worse. Ebb and flow

I wanted to go heavy this morning but I was weak and ended up calling it.

Chins + 50lbs x 8,6

Ring dips + 50lbs x 8

Later in the afternoon.

3.5 mile trail run in 28 min

9/22

Felt a bit stronger today so I gave it another attempt but had similar results.

Jump rope 10 min

Chins + 50 x 8,8

Ring dips + 50 x 8,6

Dang. I may be pushing too hard and not getting enough sleep. I decided to go with an easier workout.

5 rounds no rest

2 min 25 push-ups and running

2 min 20 4 count flutter kicks and running

2 min 20 squats and running

Totals

125 push-ups, 100 4cnt flutter kicks, 100 squats, and 3 miles

9/24/15

Took the day off yesterday. Got a sea salt soak in and a nap. Recovery is important and can easily be sabotaged by simple things like bad sleep and diet and a lack of mobility work. Just to name a few.

Today's training is a simple upper body push pull workout.

Warmup: jump rope 1:40 on :20 off x 6

Chins + 50lbs x 6,6,6

Ring piked push-up x 6,6,6

Pull-ups x 12,12,10

Ring push-ups + 60lbs x 11,10,10

Ring tricep extension x 12,10,10

Tricep push-ups x 6,5,5

9/25/15

Sleep was horrible last night. Maybe 2.5 hrs total.

Training 11:00-12:00

Trail run - 3 miles with 900' elevation changes. 37:25 not bad considering the minimal running I have done at this point. My best on this trail was 33:15 when I was running it regularly and about 8lbs lighter.

It was very hot out too about 90.

I had 2 17oz cans of coconut water right after and 24 oz water when I got home. My pee was pretty dark so apparently I wasn't hydrated properly either. I'll be more careful about that from here on out.

9/29/15

Trail run 3 miles with 900' elevation. 34:32 nearly 3 min better than last time. I think I was mistaken about my best time on this trail. I'm thinking it was 29 min. because I shouldn't be approaching my best time the 2nd time out and it didn't feel very fast at all.

9/30/15

My birthday present arrived today. I ordered a like new Waring MX1200XTX. It is an incredible blender. I made a ready to eat sweet potato soup in about 10 min.

Training:

Jump rope 2 min on 30 sec off x 6

Pull-ups 15,13,11,9,7,5,5,9

Suitcase DL 135 x 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5 each side

Suitcase carry with firefighting gloves on

135x30'x3 each side

I did one set of pull-ups then one set suitcase DL for each arm with 30-45 sec rests

Wow. A great session. Next time I'll wear the gloves for the whole workout. Wearing them makes it harder to hold things.

10/1/15

Trail run today. Again in the heat. I hit the trail at 1:00 and 85 degrees

5 miles with 1236' of elevation in 1:03:16. Man some of those climbs were brutal but I'm proud to have run, although slowly, all the way. The way down was pretty slow because I was starting to cramp in my left hamstring. Will have to focus on hydration leading up to another go at this trail.