Fire Academy prep and food log

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! Oh yeah. I weighed in at 187 at the physical.

10/23

Well this week was pretty weak on workouts so I kicked it up a bit today

Training:

8:45

5 mile trail run with 1250' elevation in 53:31. Just a bit slower than last time.

Rehydrated and ate 5 medium red potatoes and had some soy milk.

1:00 second workout

During the warmup I cranked out 6 bar muscle ups. A PR which surprised me given I was still a bit drained from the morning run.

The workout:

2 rounds of

2000m row

400m farmers carry (2-53# kettle bells)

200 jump ropes

1 mile run

400m farmers carry same weight

200 jump ropes

2 person relay. So we broke the row into 500m 2x each, 200m each farmers, 100 jump ropes, and 4-400m runs. When one person was working the other did 25 push-ups and took their rest.

400 push-ups total.

I must have not fully hydrated and replenished electrolytes because I was cramping up bad at the end of that workout.

I'm going devour some grub tonight!

10/24

I expected to be tired and a bit drained today but woke up with energy and a disappointment that this was going to be a rest day. I gave it my best shot but talked myself into letting me do a strength workout since I have been so focused on endurance workouts lately.

Training:

Paired push/pull

Chin-ups +75lbs x 4,4,4,4,3,3,3

Bulgarian ring dips x 7,7,7,7

Archer ring dips 3,4,4 each side

It was my first time doing archer dips. It's a pretty cool movement and really had me focusing on generating power on one side while coordinating support from the extended arm.

10/26/15

Training:

Trail run- 3 miles with 900' elevation in 34:50. Man this one hurt today. I did not feel light at all going up.

Pull ups x 13,13,13,13,12

Bulgarian ring dips x 8,8,8,8,6

I was a bit slower on my run this morning but showed good progress on both pull-ups and Bulgarian dips.

Tomorrow I'll run the trail again and do push-ups and planks. Or just the trail depending on recovery.

10/27/15

I could've used another hour of sleep but it only happens when I'm disciplined at night. Tonight will be disciplined! That's the plan. I will leave my phone in the kitchen so I'm not tempted.

Practiced with FF tools all morning so I didn't get to the run until noon so the sun was beating down.

Training:

Trail run - 3 miles with 900' elevation in 32:34. Over 2 min faster than yesterday but that's not saying much. Felt pretty good. When I made it to the top it felt like I had taken a short cut somewhere. I didn't, it just felt much shorter today.

The plan for the rest of the day is studying with 500 sit ups and 500 push-ups mixed in. I'll keep you posted

10/28/15

I had a very busy day running around doing errands and didn't bring any food with me. I ended up at a Thai place and scarfed down some sweet basil veggies with tofu and 2 servings of rice at 12:30. That ended up being way too much to process in time to do my run and be home by 2:30 when my kids get home. I didn't figure that out till about half way up the mountain when my energy production was suffering and my stomach contents didn't want to stay down. I was able to complete the run without incident albeit about a minute slower than yesterday.

3 miles with 900' of elevation - 33:35

just curious...if you run in the morning (perhaps semi-fasted) are your times better/worse or more/less consistent? (not a runner here...but I lift early am, in which I give up a little strength, but consistency is higher)

just curious...if you run in the morning (perhaps semi-fasted) are your times better/worse or more/less consistent? (not a runner here...but I lift early am, in which I give up a little strength, but consistency is higher)

Absolutely correct sir. I have to get my kids off to school in the mornings and Wednesdays I volunteer at another schools reading program so sometimes I just have to fit it in when I can. Getting the volume in should still be beneficial for my conditioning and getting out there when it's hot keeps me used to working in high heat.

10/29/15

Went to a cross fit gym to workout with some of the academy recruits.

4 rounds of:

10 pull-ups

15 53# kettle bell swings

10 box jumps 24"

20 push-ups

400m run

50 jump ropes

400m run

50 jump ropes

There was 6 of us and we paired up into 3 teams. Each teammate had to do all of it but couldn't be doing it at the same time. I did 10 pull-ups then he did 10 pull-ups and I couldn't start the swings till he was done with his pull-ups. All the way down the list just like that except for the run portion. We did the jump ropes while the other was running.

My team came in at 34:33

Team 2 - 36:40

Team 3- 38:52

Haha...pretty good for an old man. Love it when I'm working out with the young guys and they say "how old are you?!? WTF?" Last set of pull-ups I cranked out 19 just to see what I could do at that state of oxygen debt.

10/30/15

Training:

Pull-ups BW x 14,13,13,13,13*

*last rep was a grinder

Archer ring dips BW x 5,4,4,3,4 both sides

20 rounds of:

5 BW ring rows

5 BW ring dips

In 16:29

I know I'm neglecting overhead work. I'll get on it. Tomorrow morning I'm going to see about that 5 mile hill run. Starting to hydrate now.

I feel in better shape now than I did in my 20's. I always out do my kids which makes me feel good. I guess I am competitive. I love crossfit workouts. I used to do Gfit which is similar to crossfit, except without the olympic lifts. I always loved to compete with the younger group. Looks like it was a great workout.

11/02/15

Training:

3 mile trail run with 900' elevation in 32:22. An improvement of 12 seconds. Still felt super slow going up. I think I need to do some interval training.

I'm a bit tired today but may still do an afternoon session. I'll keep you posted.

Well I got my afternoon session in while dinner was roasting in the oven.

Pull-ups x 14,14,14 (felt good here, good progress)

Pikes ring push-ups one leg extended x 8,8,8

Chin-ups (wow, those 3 sets of pull-ups really cut into my strength here)

+75lbs x 4

+60lbs x 4

+50lbs x 6

Piked ring push-ups x 9,8,9

Hanging leg raise toes to bar X 12,11,8 (I've been neglecting these. Best ab movement out there. These will make your abs pop like nothing else.)

11/04/15

A little sore in the upper body today and not 100% motivated but I don't view those as indications of recovery so I went ahead and proceeded as planned.

Training:

Archer Dips x 5,5,5,5,4 both sides +4 reps

Ring rows x 12,13,14,15,13

Ring curls 2 x 12

Hanging leg raise toes to bar x 12,12,10 +4reps

+=improvement

Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

well said!

Such statements make me wonder how Dorian Yates won 6 Mr O titles, given that he spent no more than 3 hours a week in the gym, were as, his competition (who didn't train as intense as Dorian) were spending up to several times longer in the gym. It also makes me wonder how Mike Mentzer won the 1978 IFBB Mr U with the only perfect 300 point score in BB history, training a mere 90 minutes per week, were as some of his fellow competitors were training 24 hours a week for that same contest, but again, they were training no were near as intense as Mike.

Yes, get in that gym and train, dig that hole into your limited reserve of resources deeper. Me, ill be at home compensating (recovering) and over-compensating (growing) from a very brief but brutally intense workout (given that intensity and volume coexist on an inverse ratio). Hey, I don't make the rules, the laws of nature dictate them:)

Edited by HIT Rob

Should statements make me wonder how Dorian Yates won 6 Mr O titles, given that he spent no more than 3 hours a week in the gym, were as, his competition (who didn't train as intense as Dorian) were spending up to several times longer in the gym. It also makes me wonder how Mike Mentzer won the 1978 IFBB Mr U with the only perfect 300 point score in BB history, training a mere 90 minutes per week, were as some of his fellow competitors were training 24 hours a week for that same contest, but again, they were training no were near as intense as Mike.

Yes, get in that gym and train, dig that hole into your limited reserve of resources deeper. Me, ill be at home compensating (recovering) and over-compensating (growing) from a very brief but brutally intense workout (given that intensity and volume coexist on an inverse ratio).

You're so full of ____

Dorian Yates, Mike Mentzer are your heroes. 2 athletes out of how many? Says so much about HIT, doesn't it. Also both of them were juiced up beyond f u c k i n g belief. You know that steroids extend muscle protein synthesis out beyond 96 hrs post workout and natty athletes only get 24-48hrs so we need more frequency. Keep your BS HIT to your own log and keep wearing that ass groove deeper and deeper into your couch.

Your a complete ignoramus! Not to mention a legend in your own mind.

Did you read the forum rules with regards to training logs "hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions and BE OPEN TO FEEDBACK".

Yes, Dorian and Mike took steroids, but so did their competitors, it was an even playing field.

Do you think Dorian and Mike the only successful Hitters in bodybuilding lol, many of whom are "natty"

Edited by HIT Rob

Here's the other thing. I'm not a bodybuilder so I could care less about how Yates or Mentzer trained. I trained like Mentzer as a teenager and I got big and strong for one set but had zero muscular endurance. That's what HIT does and that's why real athletes that compete in a sporting event train for strength and muscular and cardiovascular endurance!

Olympic weightlifters train daily and get huge

Gymnasts train daily and get huge. They look better than natty bodybuilders IMO.

Fighters train daily

Runners train daily

All athletes train daily

As a firefighter it doesn't matter how strong I look if I crap out after 30 min. I need strength, stamina, endurance.