jmf's Training Log

jmf

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is awesome and a great plan to move forward!

Well, in another month, I'll know if it was a great plan...lol! I was making progress with the older plan...I just felt like I could be making progress quicker...and I'm not getting any younger!

What's PA?

Phosphatidic Acid. Never taken the stuff before, but studies, testimonials, etc. indicate that it could be effective...perhaps at the level (or better) of BA or CM, both of which I'm taking. Anyhow, figured I'd give PA a shot and see if it lives up to the hype.

I didn't post yesterday, but I did log for Nov 6, food for first day of new diet:

carbs: 370g (91g sugar)

fat: 80g (26g saturated)

protein 254g

...and the workout log. This was an AM workout, so no affects of new diet. Overhead barbell press felt real good.

20151107.thumb.jpg.ee13a78e13e91999f3a234d51cb6e8b8.jpg

...and here is my log for yesterday, second day on new diet...a bit uncomfortable...just a slight increase in overall calories, but reducing fat meant my overall caloric density is lower, so food volume felt really high. I felt like I was a total pig all day long.

carbs: 366g (122g sugar)

fat: 83g (22g saturated) went a little over my limit here.

protein 245g

As for the workout, although a positive improvement over last workout, this is really moreso a baseline for the new strategy moving forward.

20151108.thumb.jpg.fc74059e9215fb04c6b96b1b6706e57e.jpg

Yesterday's food...still gotta find some more calorie dense natural sources of carbs. Oatmeal, buckwheat, rice, fruit is insanely filling.

carbs: 373g (142g sugar...woah!)

fat: 80g (19g saturated)

protein 240g

...and yesterday's workout: chest/triceps. Stronger everywhere over last workout.

20151109.thumb.jpg.6c6684c9a8ace781ae00a0757c57f6b1.jpg

Nov 9

Food:

carbs: 375g (95g sugar)

fat: 79g (22g saturated)

protein 240g

Workout: lower body. I forgot how much I liked to go heavier...but I have to get used to it a little. 315 on the squats felt a little outside my league for today, but 295 felt really good.

20151109.thumb.jpg.b6622b4277e91707453abc28a6a30fbd.jpg

Nov 10

Food:

carbs: 365g (110g sugar)

fat: 76g (22g saturated)

protein 265g

Workout: Shoulders...lousy workout. Had a massage 7 hours prior to this workout, which had a profound negative influence on the workout. Will definitely not do that again...at least some recovery time is required. Anyhow, I added a few extra sets to make up for the missed reps @ weight, but I'll be looking for redemption on my next shoulder workout.

20151110.thumb.jpg.76741e1488060fb77372d044feabf866.jpg

Nov 11

Food:

carbs: 361g (115g sugar)

fat: 75g (21g saturated)

protein 261g

Workout: Back and biceps. Recovered from that stupid massage, so continued with expected progress, I was stronger on every exercise from last back/bi day.

20151111.thumb.jpg.e05f3db181e9f4c93ae178ac71cb88ce.jpg

Thanks! ...looking forward to seeing what (if any) results it brings when I check progress in ~3 weeks. I'm not sure on the phosphaditic acid (PA) supplement just yet...I've made too many changes to isolate the effectiveness of PA. Unlike BA and CM, which makes me "feel" stronger, especially in the later sets, the sensation I'm experiencing is that the lifted weights are simply lighter relative to my body weight...but my weight hasn't changed.

Nov 12

Food:

carbs: 350g (119g sugar) on the low side of carbs, but high on sugar, but fruit...

fat: 84g (19g saturated)

protein 264g

Workout: Chest and triceps. Stronger across the board...especially on tricep work. Hope it eventually contributes to some arm size!

20151112.thumb.jpg.a3c4b78f27e764bbea428d9e2606e056.jpg

Nov 13

Food:

carbs: 339g (124g sugar) low side of carbs, but high on sugar

fat: 74g (17g saturated)

protein 251g

Workout: Lower body. 315 on squats felt a lot better than last time...slight degradation of form on the second set of 315.

20151113.thumb.jpg.ed5a7badd972a14a6a673588901da951.jpg

Nov 18

Food:

carbs: 361g (107g sugar)

fat: 81g (22g saturated)

protein 257g

Workout: lower body. Good improvement in squats. Probably could have got another rep on the third set of 315, but no spotters early in the morning, and I'm doing ATG, so no safety bars in place...lol.

20151118.thumb.jpg.605e2bc90e10af9aa32fb2fbaa637ec5.jpg

Nov 19

Food:

carbs: 390g (88g sugar) ...went a bit crazy on carbs today, but overall calorie count is still fine

fat: 84g (20g saturated)

protein 241g

Workout: shoulders. Very slight improvement on latter sets of 185 on the barbell overhead press. However, my overall strength feels a bit stagnated on the early sets, so I think I need to change things up, so I implemented tempo control on the final and drop sets, (with emphasis on eccentric) which increased the difficulty. I started doing OHP 16 months ago...when I started, I was working out with 95 lbs, so I'm not really complaining about continued progress for such a long period.

20151119.thumb.jpg.e3aa1e88783d07a7b5f4afd18f1d5301.jpg

So, I got booked for a photoshoot with one week to prepare, so I'm interrupting my regular workout schedule to run a peak week "test." I haven't done this before, I've heard lots of horror stories of people screwing it up, there is a HUGE range of varying advice, so I figured this would be a good opportunity to learn a whole lot.

So, I did a pile of internet research (lol) and put my own spin on what I think I'll need. The biggest problem I foresee is that most advice is based off starting peak week following a deficit diet; whereas I've been running a slight surplus diet (although my body trend has been lean gaining)

I'm probably around 5.5-6% bodyfat right now, 193 pounds, which I think would place me well at a [tested] natural amateur competition. I'd like to eventually step on stage around 4.5% bodyfat and slightly higher weight, which I think I can achieve late spring 2016. Having said that, I don't think I'm too far away from competition condition.

Here's what I'm planning to do for a one week prep...lol (started this on Monday)

-skip water manipulation completely

-remove as much sodium from diet until Sunday

-500 kcal deficit between now and shoot day (so, targeting 2300-2400 kcal) Perhaps I can take a tad more fat off over the next week. Also, my current 3100 kcal/day keeps me full and bloated all the time, so I know that a deficit for a week can take at least an inch off my waist.

-cut current carb intake in half (from 360 to 180g day) through Wed

-starting Thurs, increase carbs to 540g/day (50% over normal intake)...cutting fat and protein to make room within the total 2300 kcal

-no lower body workouts

-glycogen depletion workouts until Wed night or Thursday morning

-no workout Fri or Sat

-red wine Sat night (diuretic)

-high sodium meal Sunday mid-morning

-photoshoot early Sunday afternoon

Anyhow, we'll see how it goes...it might work well, or I might totally screw it up. At least I'll have an idea moving forward.

That looks rough, good luck!

Thanks Kathy...it hasn't been that bad. This morning I felt a bit weak, and I'm not sure if my peaking strategy is going in the right direction. Think I dried up a little from cutting carbs...here's where I am this morning: (keep in mind I'm peaking off surplus diet, so my BF isn't as low as it should be)

front.jpg.965a39a70bf5630ccc0907cc873f339d.jpg

abs.jpg.2867fc6e872f92198087493e807ed53d.jpg

thanks Kathy!

Last night (after three days) the carb depletion started to set in and I noticed my muscles going "flat." Especially my last workout this morning, very difficult to get a pump, despite my overall energy levels being better than I expected. I've been running on the following intake since Monday

C: 180g (based on half of my normal intake)

P: 235g (same as normal)

F: 80g (same as normal)

T: 2300 kcal (3100 kcal has been my normal intake)

I noticed that my water retention follows carbohydrate intake, with about a 2-2.5 day delay, with muscle "fullness" following another half to one day behind water retention. With that in mind, I've decided on a less aggressive "carb-up" phase to prevent spilling over, as I understand that muscle fullness will recover first, followed by increased water retention. So, I've revised my carb up intake from [planned] 540g to 280g, starting today...here is my intake for today along with my "logic" ...lol.

C: 280g (100g over depletion phase)

P: 160g (adjusted to maintain 2300 kcal total)

F: 60g (25% reduction from normal...not going lower than this)

T: 2300 kcal (same as depletion phase)

I'm interested to see what happens to my muscle fill vs water retention in the carb up phase. As it stands right now, I'm not fully convinced that a peak "week" is a great idea for me...if anything, a slower carbs/glycogen depletion before a comp may be a better fit for me. I'll see how it play out.

Happy Thanksgiving!